Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home appliances - what brands for what appliances

Options
  • 26-03-2021 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

In my experience, some brands often excel at a particular type of appliance eg. hotpoint had been good at fridges but awful at ovens. What brands would you routinely veer towards for the following:

American fridge freezer - (never had one before so bit lost here)

Induction hob - again never had one.

Double oven - never had one either.

My whirlpool washing machine is still going strong after 16 years, as is my beko dishwasher after 11. We have a beko fridge that literally fell to pieces within 6 months of getting it. Would value advice from people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Replying to myself...never a good sign but..

Currently researching appliances and just wondered if anyone knows why american fridge freezers are so energy inefficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

The whole fridge/freezer thing is very confusing at the moment as apparently the way the ratings are calculated is changing so I was shopping for a fridge and am seeing some that say A+ but others are F. Sales person explained that all will be downgraded as the system is changing and some suppliers have already changed the labelling.

Basically the fridge I was looking at that had F on it would have been A a few weeks earlier, he still had the old sticker to show me as they were in the process of changing the stickers!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

yellow hen wrote: »
    In my experience, some brands often excel at a particular type of appliance eg. hotpoint had been good at fridges but awful at ovens. What brands would you routinely veer towards for the following:

American fridge freezer - (never had one before so bit lost here)

Induction hob - again never had one.

Double oven - never had one either.

My whirlpool washing machine is still going strong after 16 years, as is my beko dishwasher after 11. We have a beko fridge that literally fell to pieces within 6 months of getting it. Would value advice from people.

I wouldn’t get a Neff induction hob but their oven with sliding door is good. Their microwave combi oven not as good.

Whirlpool washing machine good but their tumble dryer the worst thing we ever bought.

Splashed out on American style Liebherr fridge freezer. Very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

phormium wrote: »
    The whole fridge/freezer thing is very confusing at the moment as apparently the way the ratings are calculated is changing so I was shopping for a fridge and am seeing some that say A+ but others are F. Sales person explained that all will be downgraded as the system is changing and some suppliers have already changed the labelling.

Basically the fridge I was looking at that had F on it would have been A a few weeks earlier, he still had the old sticker to show me as they were in the process of changing the stickers!

Yeah the energy rating system for kitchen appliances just changed across the whole EU on March the 1st just gone. No longer are there A++++,A+++,A++, etc ratings. It is all A to G in the new system. I only found this out a few weeks back when buying a dishwasher, despite it being nearly 400 quid it was E rated. I asked why and was told the rating system has changed and that even the most expensive dishwashers like Miele costing up to a thousand euro will only get a C rating at best. The new system is to encourage manufacturers to make their appliances even more energy efficient so over time they will innovate and aim for the higher A and B ratings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For an american fridge freezer I would go with Siemens, for washing machine and dryer I would go with Miele.
    I hate induction hobs especially the Miele one we had so I can not advise there. Get a separate oven and grill or 2 separate ovens , I am not sure how people deal with the one oven for everything long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

hey OP, did you buy the appliances?
    I am looking for suggestions too.

hey OP, did you buy the appliances?
    I am looking for suggestions too.

We bought off the back of ratings from which.co.uk. I can't give you an honest opinion yet as we haven't used them but we bought a Samsung American fridge freezer (we are using this and I love it), whirlpool ovens-single oven and seperate combi microwave oven and an electrolux induction hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks for your recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

yellow hen wrote: »
    We bought off the back of ratings from which.co.uk. I can't give you an honest opinion yet as we haven't used them but we bought a Samsung American fridge freezer (we are using this and I love it), whirlpool ovens-single oven and seperate combi microwave oven and an electrolux induction hob.

Is which.co.uk any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Get a separate oven and grill or 2 separate ovens , I am not sure how people deal with the one oven for everything long term.

had both the all in one oven/grill (Samsung), and the two separate (bosch), the two separate are by far the best, we had a bosch double oven and loved it.

we had a samsung ceramic hob that lasted over 10 years

currently have an AEG induction hob/oven and again i love it although it did take some adjusting to how quick things were cooking on the hob and the oven does make juicier roasts/better bakes than the bosch did.

have a bosch washer/dryer combo and i love it although the ecosilence drive never did work for us.

had a whirlpool fridge (but not the american style) the last 10 years haven't change it yet.

• Advertisement

Shoden wrote: »
    Is which.co.uk any good?

We've used it alot over the last 15yeats and we've found it very reliable. We either just signed up for a trial or paid for one month and then cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

What combi microwave oven did you get ?

I,m getting a new kitchen and starting the hunt for new appliances

I was leaning towards neff but open to persuasion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Same boat here.

I am looking at a Bosch series 4 double oven, Bosch series 2 dishwasher, belling integrated microwave, Siemens canopy extractor.

I am torn between a nordmende and belling 90cm induction hob. Anyone got any opinions on those or indeed the other appliances?

Advertisement