Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

doing tax return without accountant

• 26-05-2021 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭

After a few years doing tax return with accountant decided to do it myself (as self-employed)
    Could you please advise on steps.
    Appreciate all help.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭hold my beer

After a few years doing tax return with accountant decided to do it myself (as self-employed)
    Appreciate all help.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Above was tongue in cheek. Did your accountant prepare sole trader accounts for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Appreciate all help.
    Thanks

Is it Form 11 you have to fill out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Captain Bob

Above was tongue in cheek. Did your accountant prepare sole trader accounts for you?

yes, a few years. Now I am gonna do it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Captain Bob

ulster wrote: »
    Is it Form 11 you have to fill out?

no idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If you dont know what a form 11 is.....you really need to get a professional to do it for you...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

For the money you are trying to save now it could work out much more costly in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

OP, having read this thread carefully, might I gently suggest that you consider renaming it "Repairing a cavity without employing a dentist"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For the money you are trying to save now it could work out much more costly in the long run

It depends on whether there is anything complicating the return, such as what qualifies as a taxable expense.
    But if it's the same every year then it's ok to do it on ROS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Lol he had us until the Form 11 post tbf! Do yourself a favour and give your accountant a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I was actually thinking of doing the same this year as my sole trader income was much decreased for 2020 after a few good years. I can't afford the accountant, and the total revenue is quite small for the year.
    Obviously I don't have the travel expenses of previous years but other than that, I expect the taxable expenses should be pretty similar to before. Can I print of previous returns and copy what the accountant did before, with new figures?
    Sounds straightforward, ros.ie scares me I must admit, probably irrational I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I do my own but i use paylesstax template at 99 euro or so.
    I find it ok for simple enough return where its straight forward sole trader accounts.
    Ive recently added some personal rental income so considering using an accountant to make sure im handling that best way possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Sesame wrote: »

Can I print of previous returns and copy what the accountant did before, with new figures?

Yes you can.
    Sesame wrote: »

Sounds straightforward, ros.ie scares me I must admit, probably irrational I know.

I was moved to Form 11 (ROS) from Form 12 (PAYE employee) four years ago.

I struggled with the online form for the first couple of years (having to revise it and then ask Revenue to cancel it and allow me submit a new version) before getting the hang of it last year and I've recently filed my 2020 return without any problem.

Have you tried ROS offline? If not, I suggest you download it and play around with it. It's a very useful way of getting to know the form without actually having to file it. (And you can download a pre-populated version of your own Form 11 which makes the task of filling it easier.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

accountant in practice here.
    it always amazes me the mess that other unqualified accountants make of some tax returns which i see when ever i take over as agent. These are mistakes that people who claim to be accountants make, never mind the business people themselves.
    BTW - i make mistakes all the time and dont claim to be perfect but some of the mistakes i see are just plain crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

I'm self-employed over two years and honestly, it's very difficult to do this without an accountant when you take into account expenses and Preliminary Tax etc.

I have a brilliant accountant for only €400 for the year (you can include this fee as a work expense and get something back, too) and it's worth every cent. Bearing in mind, I don't earn much by any stretch! Ask around for an accountant who is reasonable, I found mine from a fellow self-employed friend.

Advertisement