Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuckoo

Options
  • 26-04-2021 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Dould cuckoo heard and seen today, got some good videos of them. 2 cuckoos in fact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

never ever seen one in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

fryup wrote: »
    never ever seen one in the flesh

When in flight, to me, they look like slightly slow kestrels, so double check any kestrels you see!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Heard my first of year this morning, Co. Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

axe2grind wrote: »
    Heard my first of year this morning, Co. Wicklow.

Yesterday heard one out here in offshore west mayo

And yes I have seen cuckoos. when I lived in Leitrim with lots of trees, I watched the sparrows and small birds attacking a cuckoo every time it came near. Wonderful.

I heard one while cycling back roads South of Clonmel this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Worth taking a few seconds to log your first Cuckoo sighting (or, eh, hearing..) of the year at this link: http://www.springalive.net/en-ie/migrations/addnew

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

hirondelle wrote: »
    When in flight, to me, they look like slightly slow kestrels, so double check any kestrels you see!

Look more like a hawk to me in terms of shape and colouring. Got good views in a Kildare bog a few years ago of a rare "Rufus" colour phase individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Worth taking a few seconds to log your first Cuckoo sighting (or, eh, hearing..) of the year at this link: http://www.springalive.net/en-ie/migrations/addnew

Does this feed into BiodiversityIreland database?

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Look more like a hawk to me in terms of shape and colouring. Got good views in a Kildare bog a few years ago of a rare "Rufus" colour phase individual.

Yes, that is accurate. I suppose I think of what looks like an "extended" tail in flight and that is what I notice first. Had to look up the rufous reference- wow, every day is a school day!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

axe2grind wrote: »
    Does this feed into BiodiversityIreland database?

Off the top of my head I'm not sure, but a lot of BirdWatch Ireland data is, so if it's not already shared with Biodiversity Ireland on a regular basis, I'm sure it could be if they request it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Got 3 in Kildare on Sunday. I went specifically to look for them as I did not get to see/hear them last year due to the restrictions. They never sounded as much as freedom before!

Logged already.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Heard the first cuckoo here in the NW this evening. Summer’s on its way!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Heard my first cuckoo of 2021 a short while ago along the Royal Canal outside Kinnegad, Co. Westmeath. That's made my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The cuckoo is calling just outside the window.

This is unusual. But lovely!

Usually it calls from further west where there are trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I saw two, and possible a third at Gallows Hill, Clare today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

I heard 2 male cuckoos either side of bogland over near Coole Westmeath yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it only the male that calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

fryup wrote: »
    is it only the male that calls?

Only the male makes the Cuckoo sound, go to 1.40 in the video for the female call.
    I've probably heard it before but never noticed it.

heard one close to Hollywood in Wicklow this morning, and one further on near Laragh, been many years since I heard one, was great to hear them, although I could not spot them at all.

I was lucky enough to see one at the weekend- on some abandoned cutover bog. It was perching on young Scots Pine, scanning about and then dropping down quickly then flying back up to the same tree, with rather large caterpillars each time. Really precise hunting, and it systematically went from tree to tree over about 20 minutes. Fascinating to see it at work and the technique reminded me of Spotted Flycatchers . It was a male.

• Advertisement

I had given up on seeing or hearing one this year as I haven't had a chance to visit any 'typical' habitat for them in recent weeks. And then yesterday I saw not one, but two! On Bull Island in Dublin of all places! Certainly not ideal habitat, but plenty of Meadow Pipits, which are their main host species in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Heard one again during the week.

Advertisement