Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recording high quality audio for YouTube channel

Options
  • 25-05-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,
    So this is a big step for me... I have been wanting to record audios for a YouTube channel but have absolutely no clue how to do it. I don't even want to video myself, just use my voice this is why the audio is even more important.
    I watched a few videos on YouTube showing the types of audio equipment needed (Shotgun, Rode, Lavalier, are words that popped up a lot) but am feeling lost very quickly.
    What would you recommend?
    Also, do you know any company providing training on these things:
    - Teaching how to record an audio from A to Z and posting it on YT
    - Advising the best equipment to get and teaching how to use it
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you're putting it on YouTube, then you'll probably need to record video too. If you don't, your viewing numbers will be negligible, which makes it kinda pointless.

For audio, there are a few basics.

Avoid reverb/echo: Don't record in empty box room - add soft furnishings (blankets, rugs, throws, pillows) or acoustic foam and panels.

Avoid background noise: Record in a quiet place. Use a dynamic range microphone rather than a condenser mic (which picks up every little noise).

Shotgun mics pick up noise mostly from the direction they're pointed at. An example would be the mic on top of a video camera pointing at the subject. They can be useful in noisy locations like a cafe, where they will pick up the primary subjects voice loud, but also bring in some of the background noise at a lower level.

Lavalier mic is the same as a lapel mic. It's the small black dot mic that you'll see on the lapel of someone's jacket in a TV interview.

RODE is a well respected brand of professional and pro-sumer level equipment. I have a RODE SmartLav Plus lapel mic for use with my iPhone, for example.

I can't recommend specific training videos, but I recommend watching a bunch of videos from different people. Come back and ask more specific questions once you get up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

How important is audio quality?

There are some Youtube channels that are quite successful in their field (like the guitar channel from Nashville studio great Tom Bukovac), that use the internal mic of an iPhone, no additional equipment.

One step up in audio quality:
    - Shure SM58 microphone
    - Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface
    - any Apple Mac with GarageBand
    - high quality wired (not Bluetooth) headphones, or entry level active near field studio monitors

I'd start very basic (smartphone mic only), see how the YouTube channel turns out, and then, if you like the results, start upgrading.

Here's an article on basic equipment.

There are countless free instruction videos on YouTube. If you want to spend money, I've had good experience with courses from both Groove3 and MacProVideo.

Advertisement