Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitre Box Recommendations

Options
  • 02-05-2021 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Good morning all. I'd like to get a mitre box for small pieces like trim, quick cuts where I don't have to set up the chop saw etc.

I know you can buy those plastic boxes, but I'm looking to see if there are better quality/more accurate boxes out there that people would recommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

cletus wrote: »
    Good morning all. I'd like to get a mitre box for small pieces like trim, quick cuts where I don't have to set up the chop saw etc.

I know you can buy those plastic boxes, but I'm looking to see if there are better quality/more accurate boxes out there that people would recommend
    This might tick the box at small money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-STA120600-Clamping-Mitre-Box/dp/B0001P0T46/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=mitre+box+and+saw&qid=1619938558&sr=8-10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If you already have a mitre saw, you could make a small mitre box quite easily

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

buy one of the 18v cordless ones. makita doe a lovely one that is very small.
    i have a dewalt 18v and its very handy for slips or the odd architrave etc where its not worth getting out the big saw and the transformer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

buy one of the 18v cordless ones. makita doe a lovely one that is very small.
    i have a dewalt 18v and its very handy for slips or the odd architrave etc where its not worth getting out the big saw and the transformer etc

:D:D:D

That's probably the most boards.ie answer I could have gotten.

"Recommend me a mitre box"

"Just buy a new power tool"

I'd forget the box and just get a Nobex type miter saw for the quick and light work

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    I'd forget the box and just get a Nobex type miter saw for the quick and light work

I'd been looking at stuff like that, but honestly couldn't justify the price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cletus wrote: »
    :D:D:D

That's probably the most boards.ie answer I could have gotten.

"Recommend me a mitre box"

"Just buy a new power tool"

sorry about that.
    if you want manual tool for the job then https://bridgecitytools.com/products/jmpv2-jointmaker-pro

serous answer
    not sure there is an acurate version availible thats not designed for guitar or inlay work thats not going to be crazy money.
    there used to be one that was reconmended on the tiling forums but i cant find it now. it had a chinese/japanese sounding name. like qwansheng but they make knock of versions of lie neilson planes

sorry about that.
    if you want manual tool for the job then https://bridgecitytools.com/products/jmpv2-jointmaker-pro

serous answer
    not sure there is an acurate version availible thats not designed for guitar or inlay work thats not going to be crazy money.
    there used to be one that was reconmended on the tiling forums but i cant find it now. it had a chinese/japanese sounding name. like qwansheng but they make knock of versions of lie neilson planes

God, there's no need to apologise, I appreciate all and any responses I get on here. I'm the most hobby of hobby workers, and even if the suggestions and ideas won't work for me/are out of my price range, at the very minimum I get to look at nice tools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

cletus

I purchased a “ Z Perfect Free Angle Saw Guide” and a saw several years ago to cut small trim, work which is inherently dangerous on a power machine. Works perfectly for that type of small work.
    I made a jig to use with the tool. No flying pieces and very accurate and adjustable.

8-EE01-FA2-8634-4-A88-AC7-F-CEC2-E2435784.jpg

https://z-saw.co.jp/en/pdf/sawguide_manual_2013.pdf

Advertisement