Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Face covering exemption question

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Never said that. Tragedy does not equal to sh1t.

That really depends. Most likely yes for about 1 or 2 people out of a hundred. Some incovenience for another about 40 who may experience mild symptoms. About 25 will not get it due to simply being imune and about 35 will not even notice they have it.

If i worked in a building with 100 people and a gunman came in saying i won't shoot anyone if you all wear a mask, but if you don't ill shoot 2 people - id wear the f**King mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

patnor1011 wrote: »
    This is exactly what is comical on the whole situation. This inventing whole new mask etiquette oh how and when to use them. With things like this - regulations constantly changing to accomodate everyone whole thing become complete nonsense.
    Oh and I am one of those scumbags you are referring to. I like to wear tracksuit when out and about it is nice to change from what I have to wear at work. I wander through shops and shopping centers "without one" and being dressed as I am I have to endure stares of people like you who think they occupy some high moral ground protecting vulnerable. With my medical condition I do not wear a mask and I try to limit my shopping precisely because of this scumbag branding.

Interesting post. I'm going to avoid the tracksuit issue as I don't agree that anyone be labelled purely by the clothes they wear.

What I found bizarre is you have an underlying illness which means that you don't wear a mask and you limit your time shopping, not for fear of catching Covid which is much higher risk with underlying illness but because you don't want to be considered a scumbag.

If it is a breathing illness, why wander around shops and shopping centres at all. Surely much safer to get a delivery and walk and wander around somewhere outside which is less risky.

If it is an anxiety condition why walk and wander around crowded areas which would exacerbate anxiety. Did you ever consider that other get anxiety about catching the illness from people not wearing a mask.

If you have an illness which exempt you from wearing a mask, why not seek alternative ways of doing shopping. Or is it basically, you don't want to wear a mask and don't care about anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

fits wrote: »
    Are you going to take further action? Did they offer any solutions or ideas?
    He has to stay home. They send school work to his laptop sporadically.
    I have exhausted all avenues and so have to accept this. Not the end of the world. We'll adapt and manage the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

calfmuscle wrote: »
    If i worked in a building with 100 people and a gunman came in saying i won't shoot anyone if you all wear a mask, but if you don't ill shoot 2 people - id wear the f**King mask.

Not applicable comparison. What you fail to realize is that unless you are immune you will get it. Sooner or later anyway, and most of the mask people use will not stop it. Mask is not going and it is not supposed to stop you from catching virus - but to stop you to become super-spreader and limit what amount of virus you put out if infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

joeguevara wrote: »
    Interesting post. I'm going to avoid the tracksuit issue as I don't agree that anyone be labelled purely by the clothes they wear.

What I found bizarre is you have an underlying illness which means that you don't wear a mask and you limit your time shopping, not for fear of catching Covid which is much higher risk with underlying illness but because you don't want to be considered a scumbag.

If it is a breathing illness, why wander around shops and shopping centres at all. Surely much safer to get a delivery and walk and wander around somewhere outside which is less risky.

If it is an anxiety condition why walk and wander around crowded areas which would exacerbate anxiety. Did you ever consider that other get anxiety about catching the illness from people not wearing a mask.

If you have an illness which exempt you from wearing a mask, why not seek alternative ways of doing shopping. Or is it basically, you don't want to wear a mask and don't care about anything else.

All sound and nice ideas until you realize that life is not an easy affair. Shopping is the least I have to do considering I am working in a place where already was outbreak of covid two times.
    Since I cant avail of convenience of working from home or luxury of getting covid payment and cocooning as 350 is simply not going to do it for me shopping is the least of my problems.
    I have no fear of catching covid despite having underlying issues. All the data we have point that it is 50:50 chance of being mildly sick or not sick at all. Chance of it beeing bad is minimal.

Even if you are vulnerable and have underlying issues there are ways to protect yourself from covid going bad. Having plenty of excercise, healthy balanced diet and vitamines will keep your immune system in best shape to deal with corona. All of that will also help to deal with other inconveniences like flu or cold. People really need to stop worry too much and think that covid is the end of the world or some sort of death sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

todolist wrote:
    My 13 year old has a medical exemption from wearing face coverings in secondary school.Today he went into his school for induction.The Principal was aware of his exemption yet she made him sit away from other classmates behind a plastic screen beside the class teacher. Surely he should be allowed to sit at his desk like everyone else? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Very difficult situation, unfortunately, can he wear a visor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

todolist wrote: »
    I have exhausted all avenues and so have to accept this. Not the end of the world. We'll adapt and manage the situation.

Could you work with him at home to gradually get him to wear the mask? Try a few different types to find the most comfortable, wear it for ten minutes at a time. Have any of the autism support groups got any advice on how to help with the sensory side of things? It looks like mask-wearing is going to be with us for a while so he needs to be able to wear one to avoid being locked away for months/years.
    I have to wear a mask all day at work. For the first few days I felt like I was suffocating but now I’m used to it and can manage it for long periods. One of my sons has some sensory issues and we’ve found some soft fabric masks that he will tolerate for school. I’ll find the link and post here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oscar-Apparels-Mask-Elastic-Adult/dp/B08C8FKS7P We use these for my son. They do kids sizes too. Very soft, no metal clip and easy to wash. I’m sure there are many similar ones available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

Why is my son more likely to spread a disease he doesn't have.Should he be made sit on the roof of the bus on the way into school to protect other passengers?

You cannot know that your son or anyone else is not a carrier of the virus at anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don’t think I would accept that. This could go on a long time and our kids need to be out in the community. Do you have an OT who could advise you on mask wearing? I’d also be in touch witH AsIAm and Inclusion Ireland for advice.

I’m honestly relieved my kids are preschoolers. This whole situation is setting so many families back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

You need to understand it is only for the safety of your own son. Yes, it is also vital for the safety of other kids. By the way, schools are close now so hopefully, you are celebrating Xmas with your kid at home.

Advertisement