Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Jigsaw please

Options
  • 22-06-2019 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi could anyone recommend a Jig Saw. Don't want to spend a load of money as it won't be called into action too often, but at the same time one that will do the job when asked without breaking my heart.
    It's first job will be cutting laminate flooring. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I bought the cheapest black n decker about 15 years ago for about 30 quid. BUT, for any application I bought the top end blades whether it was steel, timber or sheet. Hasn't let me down yet and its been thrown , flung ,kicked, etc etc.

Its the blades that make the difference not the motor inside a plastic body.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d have a few must-haves

Variable speed
    Pendulum action.

Lidl had a grand one for €30 a few weeks ago.

Jig saw is not the right saw for flooring.
    Yes you will get away with it, you will probably need one but a miter saw is what you need for repeatable straight cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I used this for laminate floor recently. Not a bother - I used a square and marked a line with a whiteboard marker then free hand with the jigsaw. The cut ends at under skirting/trim so don't need to be perfect. I found doing longer rips to be okay, although the blade can wander. Some practice and I was fine

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UES79E/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

I have this Bosch jigsaw. Its brilliant for floors

• Advertisement

Jig saw is not the right saw for flooring.
    Yes you will get away with it, you will probably need one but a miter saw is what you need for repeatable straight cuts.

For s DIYer using laminate, there’s no problem using a jigsaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Jig saw is not the right saw for flooring. Yes you will get away with it, you will probably need one but a miter saw is what you need for repeatable straight cuts.

Have a mitre saw for the cross cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭listermint

colm_mcm wrote: »
    For s DIYer using laminate, there’s no problem using a jigsaw.

Except you'll be all day laying it.

Not for me personally and im a diyer.

Jigsaw is for cutting awkward shapes or radiator holes. It's crap for straight lines.

Buy any jigsaw op tbh. They're simple tools but just use the right blade for the task. It's all in the blade.

listermint wrote:
    Jigsaw is for cutting awkward shapes or radiator holes. It's crap for straight lines.

So are you saying use a circular saw for cuts along the length of the board ?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I found the lengthways cut challenging with the jigsaw but with practice it was fine. Tried the circular saw too and it was much more accurate. I just don't like using the circular saw as much.

I found my natural inclination was to let the jigsaw blade wander to the left of the cut so I just compensated. It'll be under skirting/trim so once you don't go too far off it's grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A jigsaw certainly isn't the best tool for the job, unless its a curvy line. Even a jigsaw with a fence isn't much better.

You can't even guarantee a square edge on a cut with a jigsaw. Use one when nothing else will do the job and that isn't very often.

However if you are covering up the cut edge with say a scirtingboards then you'll probably get away with it.

stiofan85 wrote:
    Tried the circular saw too and it was much more accurate. I just don't like using the circular saw as much.

Circular saw I have is fairly big that's why I thought the jigsaw would be lighter and handier. So maybe I don't need one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I got a Ryobi ONE+ cordless jigsaw and circular saw - it does the trick for the price and has adjustable pendulum rate; along with being one of loads of tools within a range that can share the same battery set.

For an occasional use DIYer - it's spot on.

EDIT: just noticed your laminate floor line - 100% agree with BrownFinger; a mitre saw is the right tool for the job. You talked about not wanting something to break your heart; trying to do a neat job on laminate floor with a jigsaw will do exactly that.

Since you already have a circular saw just buy a good quality laminate blade and a metal speed square to keep your cuts at 90 degrees and you'll be flying.

EDIT: just noticed your laminate floor line - 100% agree with BrownFinger; a mitre saw is the right tool for the job. You talked about not wanting something to break your heart; trying to do a neat job on laminate floor with a jigsaw will do exactly that.

Have a mitre saw for the cross cuts. Was considering the jigsaw for cuts along the lengths of the planks

Ahhh ok - I thought you were talking about cross-cuts!

If it's not going to be an exposed edge (e.g. hidden under a skirting) then I guess that'd be ok but painstaking work with a jigsaw if you have to do a lot. Using a straight edge as a guide would help. A circular saw will produce a neater cut (again a guide would help) and track saw even better, with the benefit that you could clamp down each laminate board using the track. One of my friends was telling me that the weekend that Aldi have their Workzone tracksaw in at the moment, which might be a good option for you to consider.

I can't find it on Aldi.ie at the moment so perhaps he was wrong; it's one of these anyway, there is another thread somewhere discussing the pros/cons of these: https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-track-saw/p/087060236365900

The tracks on the Aldi one aren’t great. As in when you join them together for longer cuts.

listermint wrote: »

Buy any jigsaw op tbh. They're simple tools but just use the right blade for the task. It's all in the blade.

Worst advice ever, some don't even have speed control.

Worst advice ever, some don't even have speed control.

And speed controls are used about 5 percent of the time.

Cheers though

The tracks on the Aldi one aren’t great. As in when you join them together for longer cuts.

True but the OP said they want to balance between not spending a huge amount and not having their heart broken, so buying a budget saw and later upgrading to better guide rails from another company is a sound option, and there's tons of advice out there in YouTubeland about which ones are cross-compatible.

It's all relative however - perhaps the cost of a Triton TTS1400 is within the acceptable budget for the OP but I suspect that a Mafell or Festool won't be :)

Do you know which tracks can be used with the Aldi one?

• Advertisement

Do you know which tracks can be used with the Aldi one?

Heard Titan ones perhaps but don't hold me to that. Some YouTube vids out of the UK have recommendations

Peter Millard's tracksaw playlist is the one to check out - he's done all sorts of comparisons with Titan, Aldi and Parkside (and Festool).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7S6M0i1Mz9pf2uo5SpFSWrQOu0qpjeIs

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I thought my tracksaw was nice until I read about the Mafell KSS80.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Lumen wrote: »

Festool deals in Roynanes in Thurles tomorrow on saws/tracks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I prefer the Plunge Saws though like Festool to just circular track saws.

What would be the advantage of a Mafell over a Festool ?

I prefer the Plunge Saws though like Festool to just circular track saws.

What would be the advantage of a Mafell over a Festool ?

Actually I think both the Mafell KSS80 and the Festool HK85 will do plunge cuts on a track, it's a bit confusing because the Mafell at least comes in several different configurations.

The main attraction is deep (80mm) plunge cuts without bogging down like my 36V Makita does.

I can't justify buying either though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Actually I think both the Mafell KSS80 and the Festool HK85 will do plunge cuts on a track, it's a bit confusing because the Mafell at least comes in several different configurations.

The main attraction is deep (80mm) plunge cuts without bogging down like my 36V Makita does.

Build another shed :)

One to put all your tools in :D

I'm just finishing a shed extension (8ft x 12 ft) for all my wifes art and craft stuff.

Probably wouldn't buy a rechargeable for 80mm cuts myself. I'd have a corded one for that. My Hitachi will do them without so much as a blink.

Probably wouldn't buy a rechargeable for 80mm cuts myself. I'd have a corded one for that. My Hitachi will do them without so much as a blink.
    They're both corded. Which Hitachi do you have?

• Advertisement

They're both corded. Which Hitachi do you have?

C9U2

Advertisement