Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restore old wooden floor

Options
  • 15-06-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone who helped with my last thread, changing the gutters dried the wall within a couple of weeks.

I was looking to change the carpet in the room and having peaked underneath it got me thinking I might be able to restore the old wooden floor. Would anyone be an able to tell me from looking at the pics does this look like a floor you could restore and would want to

rvbn7t.jpg

34g9fg6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

First one you could strip back and seal alright, but I wouldn’t bother with the second one as it would be too much work for possibly patchy results.

If it was me I’d probably go with a neutral coloured wood paint like this: https://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/sadolin-superdec-satin-opaque-wood-protection/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A bit of work in it but yes, sand them down a little to get a fresh surface, stain them if desired then seal them. I wouldn't paint them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

theyre both the same room, the second pic is the floor around the entrance, the first pic is the general floor area

The cheapest and quickest thing is just lay another floor on top again like your carpet or a laminate.

There's a fair amount of work in getting them sanded down and making any repairs. You'd probably need to rent a sander to DIY it.
    Not sure if it's worth it depends on what the floor is like..

Yep I got quoted 320 to carpet it which would be fine. Ì'll get a quote to have it restored as well, then see how much it'd cost to diy

• Advertisement

It's the rent of the sander is your only big expense, it's an easy DIY.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Yep I got quoted 320 to carpet it which would be fine. Ì'll get a quote to have it restored as well, then see how much it'd cost to diy

Cost me about 70 quid to rent a floor sander and edge sander, with sandpaper for a weekend, if memory serves me right.

I wasn't fixing up old floors like that, but it's a pretty simple (if not boring) restore. Take care with the edge sander that it doesnt "bog down", and with the floor sander, ease it onto the floor while moving slightly forward, and never stop moving with it while it's touching the floor (it will easily dig a hallow into your floor if left running on 1 spot for any length of time).

Check the entire floor before committing - lift all the carpet, the tack strips etc. That 2nd pic has a cross cut in one of the boards, i'd be surprised if there were not more elsewhere. They may be unsightly when all is done, and/or they may not be well secured to the joists underneath

Also consider noise, in both directions (assuming this is an upstairs room)

Okay sounds promising. Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I'll be shocked if you can sand out the stains in that first photo. also, you will need to check any nail heads aren't proud and knock those that are in, with a nail punch.

Gonna pull up the carpet once I'm finished painting and see what the damage is like

• Advertisement

If you haven't started painting don't as you want to do that last, your going to drive wood dust everywhere if you go sanding.

If you haven't started painting don't as you want to do that last, your going to drive wood dust everywhere if you go sanding.

Okay, too late! Not doing the floors for a while at least, someone coming during week to price it so likely be next week by the earliest if I do it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That black paint on the floor in the second picture, could be bitumen based, if it is it will clog up the sand paper very quickly, even on the walk behind drum sander, I have had to use paint stripper to remove it before sanding, on floors I've worked on.

Well guys I had a go at it over the weekend. I rented a drum sander and edger. The sales guy in the hardware store said i didnt need the paint remover that the sander would take care of it, i regretted this part as it took ages to get it off, the drum sander couldnt get into that section so i just spent ages with the edger and many sand sheets later it was finally clear.

To fill the gaps I used pvc and saw dust as per many youtube videos and it worked okay for any decent sized holes but didnt seem to work well on the tiny wood worm holes. I'm going to try something else for this during the week. I've the finishing sander booked for next weekend.

The missus has already declared i'm doing the whole house so I think it's been pretty successful for a first attempt. Definitely glad I had a room to learn off before tackling a main room/hall

Has anyone tried it without using a drum sander, going straight to finishing sander for the whole job? I see some youtube videos have done it this way

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Well guys I had a go at it over the weekend. I rented a drum sander and edger. The sales guy in the hardware store said i didnt need the paint remover that the sander would take care of it, i regretted this part as it took ages to get it off, the drum sander couldnt get into that section so i just spent ages with the edger and many sand sheets later it was finally clear.

To fill the gaps I used pvc and saw dust as per many youtube videos and it worked okay for any decent sized holes but didnt seem to work well on the tiny wood worm holes. I'm going to try something else for this during the week. I've the finishing sander booked for next weekend.

The missus has already declared i'm doing the whole house so I think it's been pretty successful for a first attempt. Definitely glad I had a room to learn off before tackling a main room/hall

Has anyone tried it without using a drum sander, going straight to finishing sander for the whole job? I see some youtube videos have done it this way

Not sure I understand what a finishing sander is? I used the drum sander and just increased the sandpaper grit number to finish.

FYI, No shoes on the floor until it's sealed. You'll only end up marking the raw wood.

A finishing sander is the square head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

you can use caustic soda to remove the black paint before you sand you use rough steel wool to scrub the boards and some rags to clean it of, go over all the floor to even out the color and leave a few days to dry before sanding. nasty stuff so you would need plenty of protection but a lot cheaper than paint stripper

dathi wrote: »
    you can use caustic soda to remove the black paint before you sand you use rough steel wool to scrub the boards and some rags to clean it of, go over all the floor to even out the color and leave a few days to dry before sanding. nasty stuff so you would need plenty of protection but a lot cheaper than paint stripper

Will keep that in mind going forward thanks.

Advertisement