Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Hybrid Bike???

Options
  • 26-07-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

HI Guys,

Im currently looking to get myself a Hybrid. I have a budget of up to €800 give or take but I want this to include (Helmet, Lights, Locks, Mud- Guards).

I'd be mostly using the biking for commuting (Around 20km Roundtrip), and occassional longer runs at the weekend (Up to 50Km)

I've looked at the below makes so far (Giant, Boardman, Raleigh, Felt, Raleigh, Kelly & Sirrus) but Im finding that im more inclinded to be attracted to the bike shops that actually want to talk to me instead of getting a bike that would suit my needs.

If anyone could recommend a make/shop based on the above it would be appreciated.

P.S.: Im based in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

for 50km spins you should consider a road bike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cyclesuperstore in tallaght

Wheelworx in Fonthill

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I would highly recommend McDonald's Cycles on Camden St. and ThinkBike in Rathmines, but there's plenty of other very good bike shops around Dublin.

Most people on here will suggest you get a road bike instead, which you should consider. But if you're sure you want a hybrid (I'm very happy commuting on my hybrid), I suppose the main consideration on which one is how much comfort you want to trade with for an efficient ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Want2know

Idont expect to be doing the longer distances that often (50Km). The bike would be mainly used for commuting

I commute on a road bike, 13km each way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Want2Know -unfortunately, asking "what kind of hybrid should I get" is like asking "what kind of flesh-eating disease should I get" around here.

There are secret plans being made to invade holland and denmark and re-educate those losers on how to cycle around cities and towns properly - on proper road bikes ONLY.

My advice on hybrids would be to avoid anything with front suspension - it's rubbish and unnecessary.

As you are not going for a super performance bike, and many shops stock similar brands at similar prices - I'd pick the most helpful shop that will be handy for you to drop into for repairs/adjustments.

Brands? I don't think any brand is specifically better than others, some of them can be better than others value wise. Trek, Giant and Specialized (they do the sirrus I think) are the most well known. Felt and Kellys are less established in Ireland. (But it's not like buying an unusual car and finding you can't get parts for it). I hear Raleigh are OK again but I dunno...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've a Kellys cx hybrid, bought in McDonalds in Rathgar, which was my main bike for close on two years prior to getting a road bike. With the front suspension, it's heavier than needs be and a bit creakier, but I absolutely loved the bike before moving over to a road bike. To be fair to the lad in McDonalds, he did try to steer me towards a bike without suspension and thinner wheels, but I was having none of it. The Kellys is well built, and very comfortable, and perfectly capable of long spins, insofar as I've done the Wicklow 200, a couple of Orwell Randonees, and plenty of 100k+ spins on her. By comparison to the road bike, though, it feels a bit like cycling through treacle, and doesn't get taken out for many long spins any more.

I recently hired a lightweight Dawes hybrid, which wasn't bad, but was under geared, so this is something to watch for. (i.e. 21 speeds that ranged from quite slow, to slow, to extremely slow).

If I'd €800 to spend on a hybrid, I really like to the look of the Willier Asolo Veloce at €654. This is basically a flat bar road bike, with potential to upgrade to drop bars if the fancy ever took you. Lapierre shaper and Giant Rapids are also at the racy end of flat bar hybrids, and can be got locally.

+1 for McDonalds and ThinkBike, both very helpful when I've used them. Fitzcycles in Stillorgan has also received some good feedback here of late, and carries a slightly different range to some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭thebourke

i commute on a specialized sirrus bike 23k (daily)....i would recommend this bike..i have done nearly 14,000kms commuting in the last 3 years since i bought it...the only parts i had to replace were tubes...and tyres...brakes fixed up..and gears....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

If you want Hybrid, you could consider going secondhand. I have a Trek FX7.3 and it's great - an example of its (much) more expensive brother is available here (link) secondhand. With a bit of haggling you might be able to buy it at your budget price.

BTW, I've no connection with the seller.

EDIT - price just dropped to €800 - you should be able to get it for less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

When-ever some one comes on here asking for advice on a hybrid I want to give helpful advice on the nicest looking, most reliable, most value for money hybrid out there. I don't want to be part of langdang's road bike conspiracy.

However, I can't really ignore the fact that pretty much all the people I know who bought hybrids either (a) never really ended up using it on a regular basis or (b) only used it until they could afford to trade up to a road bike.

I think route66's idea is good. Go second-hand. Have a look on adverts.ie, gumtree and donedeal. You might pick up something decent enough for 200e or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hybrid v road bike question is always funny in a Pavlovian kinda way.

Q: What's a nice variety of apple?
    A: A banana. Don't eat apples. You're daft to even ask about apples. If you buy an apple, you'll soon realise your mistake and buy a banana. I'm right, and you know nothing. Foolish noob!

I have the boardman hybrid in your price range op. Love it. Commuting, weekend spins. Have changed nothing bar the tyres. Great bike and highly recommended. If I get back into looooong spins, and let's face it, 50k isn't that much if you're spending the day out, I'd buy a road bike. The tool is chosen for the job, and the hybrid is perfect for what I need.

As an aside, the hybrid I have today would kick the ass of the road bike I used to race waaaay back. By any measure.

However, I can't really ignore the fact that pretty much all the people I know who bought hybrids either (a) never really ended up using it on a regular basis or (b) only used it until they could afford to trade up to a road bike.
    True. and don't forget the number of folk (me included) who have asked here about converting their flat bar to a drop bar, having bought a flat bar hybrid and realized very quickly that they made a booboo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

There's an easy way to solve that kenmc!
    The correct number of bikes to own is ALWAYS N + 1, where N is the number you currently own. ;):D:)

Nobody buys a Ford S-Max as their first car, even if they later go on to need one!

I wouldn't regard a flat-bar road bike as having many, if any, benefits over a drop bar road bike - if you want/need a road bike then a drop bar road bike is the one to buy unless there is a specific case for the flat bar.

But hybrids existed long before flat-bar-road-bikes. Not all hybrids are flat bar road bikes. Some are just good sturdy workhorse bikes that suit someone who doesn't want to look like they are considering an assault on the Tour de France next year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I recently bought a fuji absolute 2.0 from thebikerack in Cabinteely.

That's out of your price range though (€850 for the bike). But maybe there's one in your range too.

I have a 11.5km commute into work each day and the hybrid's been going great. I don't have any plans to "upgrade" to a road bike, but I'm not looking to do any long distance travelling on the bike either. It's purely a machine to get me from A to B in a relatively quick, comfortable and safe manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Want2know

Thanks for all the replys guys. I've got my choice down to two bikes. Any opinions on which one to go with would be appreciated:

Cube SL Cross Bike 2012 -€689
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=47831

Specialized Sirrus Elite 2012 - €660
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/multiuse/sirrus/sirruselite#specs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

This is the one id go for.

I have the 2011 model and its really good. i do a 30km cycle to and from work most days.
    Dam i would love that bike, mind is read and white.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=48629

Advertisement