Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commute Cycling Drogheda - Dublin - Drogheda

• 03-04-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Live in Drogheda interested in Cycling to Dublin D1/D2 mornings and back to Drogheda in the evenings. If you're doing either of these runs and would like some company please let me know... Thanks Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

Mr.Namad wrote: »
    I live in Drogheda and sometimes cycle to Dublin (D1/D2) in the mornings and then back to Drogheda in the evenings, If you're cycling this route and would like some company please post here or send me a PM. Thanks ... Paul

Sorry about spelling error in original post title... Admin.. If you can could you correct this please.. Thanks

What time do you leave Drogheda?

SSB

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mr.Namad

Thanks for your reply...Approx 6.45... Some days I take the bike on the train and cycle home, leaving Dublin at 5.00 ish..... Only go when it suits and weather is good but hoping to get more days in the coming weeks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

im going to start commuting in and out couple of days a week from next week if anyone is interested. Drogheda to dublin 1 and back. I have two routes, which are about the same distance - 1 is down the old n1, one is via ratoath - n3 and in by phoenix park.

Probably leaving about 6.15 in the mornings, heading home about 4.30 - 5 in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Wow, thats a crazy distance. :eek:

lennymc wrote: »
    im going to start commuting in and out couple of days a week from next week if anyone is interested. Drogheda to dublin 1 and back. I have two routes, which are about the same distance - 1 is down the old n1, one is via ratoath - n3 and in by phoenix park.

Probably leaving about 6.15 in the mornings, heading home about 4.30 - 5 in the evenings.

Hello lennymc... would be interested in the Dublin to Drogheda trip, I've been taking the bike on the train this week and cycling home. Let me know if you're cycling to Drog next week and maybe we can hook up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I do Bettystown to Dublin 1 a few times a week. Usually I leave around 6 & go the coast road (Balbriggan - Skerries - Rush) then in the old N1.

Maybe we could use this thread to coordinate times if people want to meet up? Just post up when you're travelling and approximate times for passing by certain landmarks.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I do Bettystown to Dublin 1 a few times a week. Usually I leave around 6 & go the coast road (Balbriggan - Skerries - Rush) then in the old N1.

Maybe we could use this thread to coordinate times if people want to meet up? Just post up when you're travelling and approximate times for passing by certain landmarks.

That would be great... I leave D2 around 5.00 (can be flexible) will post here next time I'm going, hopefully Tuesday... Ta....

yes, lets use this thread to corordinate. I should be heading in on the bike on wednesday weather permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 kwoods

Sounds good folks - Im leaving merrion sq this evening at 540pm cycling to stameen via old N1 if anyone wants to join. Expect to take between 1'40 and 1'50

Also plan to cycle back in in the morning, leaving drog at 745. Would be great to have company for an odd spin. Good to see there's a few other nutcases out there, I tell people at work and get a stunned reaction!!
    Sure its cheaper than the gym!

For anyone who fancies an earlier spin, I'll be leaving Bettystown at 6-00am tomorrow, Thursday and Friday mornings.

I'll be passing by the Gallops Pub in Julianstown between 6-15am and 6-20am. After that it'll be the coast road (Balbriggan - Skerries - Rush).

I haven't decided routes or times for the return journeys as that will depend on what's happening in work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Mr.Namad wrote: »
    Live in Drogheda interested in Cycling to Dublin D1/D2 mornings and back to Drogheda in the evenings. If you're doing either of these runs and would like some company please let me know... Thanks Paul
    good stuff way to go:rolleyes:

i had hoped to commute by bike today, but did my ankle playing ball last night. :mad: Hopefully it will be ok for next week.

Leaving Abbey Street at 1615 today - heading direct via old N1

just for variety I went a different route last night - turn left at cloghran roadabout (just past airport) then head towards ballyboughal, naul, bellewstown and into drogheda via beamore. Its about the same distance but quieter country roads, nicer scenery. Some of the hills are tough going though, was v stiff for this morning's N1 spin. Thats me til the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What kind of time does the cycle from Drogheda into the city take you folks?

Timings depend. From Stameen to Merrion sq this year on the N1 Im varying between 1'30 and 2'00. It can take up to two hours if you've a strong wind against you. Plain sailing if its with you. Check met.ie the night before and allow for it.

Dublin traffic will slow you down a bit. It almost always takes 30 mins to get to the airport from city centre.

when you think about it, its not much slower door-to-door than the bus or train. And your workout is done by the time you're home. And you can bring the bike on the bus or train, Id only do one journey/day. Nothing nicer on a day like this!

Totally agree. I'm taking around 1 hour 20 minutes from Skerries to the city on a fairly old bike at the moment. Really enjoying it. Train is about an hour door to door. You have to allow shower time too though. :)

Bettystown - Skerries - Rush - City is 57km and takes me 1:55 or longer if the wind is agin me!

I use www.yr.no for getting the forecast and general wind direction.

Going home direct is usually 1:40 or so (again wind dependent). It's a 48km spin.

Going through Finglas, back the airport, Ballyboughal, Naul and Julianstown is exactly 50km and I've yet to break 2 hrs that way - it's a good route if you want to put some climbing into your legs - you don't get up very high, but some of the gradients are quite sharp, espcially beyond Naul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

kwoods wrote: »
    just for variety I went a different route last night - turn left at cloghran roadabout (just past airport) then head towards ballyboughal, naul, bellewstown and into drogheda via beamore. Its about the same distance but quieter country roads, nicer scenery.
    That's my weekend route. Tough but enjoyable. Pity some of the roads are in bits though but scenery is good!

Might see you there this weekend shamwari! Im doing a stage of the TdF in July so need plenty of hill practice.

Jawgap - dont know how you manage a spin in and out and a days work all in one day, and even more, two days in a row! Im hoping I can build up to that.

Presume its just miles and miles of stamina building.

• Advertisement

Planning to cycle from merrion sq -> drog tomorrow evening May 11 at 5.45pm if anyone wants to join. Thinking of doing the airport/ballyboughal/naul route but might do N1 either if anyone wants to join!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Good call taking the southward trip home. Wind was brutal coming in this morning. Flew home yesterday though:)

no way id cycle into that wind - torture! spin home last nite in 1'36. Sat on the bike and hardly peddled. Kinda feel like a cheat :)

Wasn't just me then. :) The tailwind was great last night. Made it from Sandymount to Skerries in under 1 hour 20 minutes. Flew up hills that I'd normally find torture.

at the moment, the mornings are about building strength - the afternoons are for setting personal bests!!!:)

yesterday 60mins in 52 mins home 13% difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

shaungil wrote: »
    yesterday 60mins in 52 mins home 13% difference.

You are AMAZING Shaun!

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You are AMAZING Shaun!

I can't disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 10 greengrocer

Jawgap wrote: »
    Bettystown - Skerries - Rush - City is 57km and takes me 1:55 or longer if the wind is agin me!

I use www.yr.no for getting the forecast and general wind direction.

Going home direct is usually 1:40 or so (again wind dependent). It's a 48km spin.

Going through Finglas, back the airport, Ballyboughal, Naul and Julianstown is exactly 50km and I've yet to break 2 hrs that way - it's a good route if you want to put some climbing into your legs - you don't get up very high, but some of the gradients are quite sharp, espcially beyond Naul.

Hey guys,

Seeing as some of you guys are familiar with the route, I was hoping you might be able to advise me. I plan to cycle from Dublin to Carlingford this weekend and the forecast is showing moderate northwesterly breezes (6 m/s). Would this be enough to put you guys off the cycle or should that be comfortable enough?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thought the wind was worrse today than all week. Was it me getting tired or my imagination?

Hey guys,

Seeing as some of you guys are familiar with the route, I was hoping you might be able to advise me. I plan to cycle from Dublin to Carlingford this weekend and the forecast is showing moderate northwesterly breezes (6 m/s). Would this be enough to put you guys off the cycle or should that be comfortable enough?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

In a word - "no" - It'll be a good workout, but it should be do-able.

This weekend my plan was to take a spin out to Kingscourt and back - in other words straight into the wind for the outward leg and then back with it. Sunday will be a North - South run along the coast to north of Dunany then back along an inland route.

11 to 12 m/s is usually when I start feel like cycling isn't much fun.

What's the specifics of your route - are you doing Dublin - Carlingford or Dublin - Carlingford - Dublin? If you're worried about the wind what about getting the train to Dundalk, then doing Dundalk - Carlingford - Dublin?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thought the wind was worrse today than all week. Was it me getting tired or my imagination?
    27 kph WSW - I was definitely tired after 2 nights racing, so was expecting a hard commute

BTW - the largest difference I have had in speed between the inward and outward commute was 27% back in February - on that day the wind gusts were up to 76 kph WSW coming in, and 96 kph WSW going home:eek:

Felt stronger this morning but more of a cross-wind - my arms feel a bit sore from trying not to get blown into the ditches:)

Showers and a southwesterly forecast for tomorrow

Hey guys,

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    are you going to stick to the coast ,yes it will be tough enough but if you come back through ardee you will have a tail wind .

If anyone fancies joining me, merrion sq - R108 to drogheda (old coach road - ballymun,road the airport, ballyboughal, naul, beamore road, stameen), 54k.
    Leaving 540, ETA drog 750 if anyone fancies a spin - same again on thursday!

• Advertisement

Think I got a bit lost last night, drifted onto the R122 around the airport (to st margarets then oldtown) rather than staying on the R108. The R122 road surface to oldtown is desperate, the surface on the R108 is much better.

Jawgap Im wondering is it the surface on the R122 you had a problem with?

On the plus side its a lovely spin, amazingly rural for county dublin.

kwoods wrote: »
    Think I got a bit lost last night, drifted onto the R122 around the airport (to st margarets then oldtown) rather than staying on the R108. The R122 road surface to oldtown is desperate, the surface on the R108 is much better.

Jawgap Im wondering is it the surface on the R122 you had a problem with?

On the plus side its a lovely spin, amazingly rural for county dublin.

Don't think I've ever done the R122 home - I go past St Margarets and take the local road (the Naul Road?) that goes from the airport, through Ballyboughal and on to the Naul (I think that's the R108).

Generally not too bad - a bit exposed around the airport but the run from the Naul to Bellewstown can be a bit tricky - lots of potholes and gravel which is a shame as it's lovely countryside and a couple of great twisty little descents. But given then state of the road you wouldn't want to be hammering into the corners.

My current favourite, although I've not commuted on it, is the R130 (Ardcath, Garristown to the back of Ashbourne) Just after Ardcath it's been resurfaced and it's got a long lovely gradual descent - great sense of speed on it and again lovely countryside.

Ill be either spinning in and/or home from drog to city centre tomorrow 29th June, planning on going the R108 route for the beautiful scenery. Will take about 2 hours if anyone wants to join me (leaving 730am, 530pm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What time would you expect to reach Naul? I'll be leaving from Baldoyle for Glasnevin in the morning and could spin out that way...

Would be in naul around 820 if thats any good?

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I'll aim for that. I'll be in boards jersey on a grey Giant.

Had to cry off for this. I got as far as Swords when my handlebars collapsed. Hope you didn't hang around too long...

Hey - no prob, I waited about 5 minutes then ploughed on. Was good to have an excuse for a rest! Lovely spin, the hills up to the naul from drogheda/bellewstown are a killer at 740am!! We'll get a spin in another time - go easy on those handlebars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 quagmired

Hey all,
    im doing 3 or 4 commute drogheda (southside) to dublin city centre spins a week. Leaving 745 in morning and 545 evenings. Would be great to get some company for one or two of these, anyone doing something similar?? Usually do it in around 1'45 on my own, not too hectic

Also, is the drogheda cycle sunday mornings still happening? Showed up one sunday there at 10 at the bike shop no sign of any life..

thats a great bit of cycling you will be flying by the end of the year.;)
    no idea if the groups are still meeting as far as i know they don't.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 quagmired

Ah thats a pity. Mad to think a town the size of drog doesnt seem to have any kind of organised cycling club.

it did :rolleyes:and it was a good group but the times kept changing to suit certain people so nobody knew exactly what time people were suppose to meet.when we started it was 10 o clock sat and sun but someone decided it would be a good idea to go at 9am then it went to 9.30 then back to ten i gave up at that stage .
    btw before someone jumps down my throath about this the 9.30 group was the fast group the 10 was the leisure spin and at one time we had 25 cyclists in it most sat mornings.

Advertisement