Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a mains fuse at this hour?

• 15-06-2019 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Mains fuse just blew in Apartment. Need a 63amp fuse ASAP. Have 2 young kids that need feeding :eek:

Anyone know where I could get one at this hour?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

What's your location ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Docks. Dublin 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭This is it

One of the large Tescos might, or some independent shops would have them on those racks with all the other crap like super glue, elastic bands, safety pins, etc. Where abouts are you, even county, and you might get better replies

I near the 3 Arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

If you’re really stuck just google a local electrician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I'd be more worried about why a 63a fuse blew than trying to replace it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

[MOD]Removing unsafe advice[MOD]

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

enricoh wrote: »
    [MOD]Removing unsafe advice[MOD]

Don't do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d be very surprised if you could get one tonight, tomorrow morning probably need to hit a large diy store b&Q woodies etc. if you know an electrician ring he may have one in the van.
    As someone else said though there is a reason it blew and the reason may well still be there. Don’t just buy one fuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Best bet would be Halfords in the morning.

• Advertisement

Seanieke wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about why a 63a fuse blew than trying to replace it.....

Dryer was on, heard a bang, fuse in dryer plug and kitchen fuse both blew. Replaced them and put dryer back on, then another big bang and mains fuse blew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Drier has a bad connection or live output. When you tried the second time you blew the mains fuse. Don't try to repair the drier, leave that to an electrician. Use a lower ampage fuse to get over tonight and get it looked at tomorrow.

westgolf wrote: »
    Drier has a bad connection or live output. When you tried the second time you blew the mains fuse. Don't try to repair the drier, leave that to an electrician. Use a lower ampage fuse to get over tonight and get it looked at tomorrow.

Brill, Thanks a mill :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just to add, I have had dryer tripping issues in the past and the problem was a build-up of lint with moisture near the drying elements. I fixed it myself at the time, but the dryer has since had a recall to correct the issue. Have you had a heavy load of drying lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Cerco

Never thought of a 63A mains fuse from Halfords. Do they do a fuse range other than car/van types?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Cerco

Op,
    Disconnect the dryer and buy two 63A fuses. A spare is always useful to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

delly wrote: »
    Just to add, I have had dryer tripping issues in the past and the problem was a build-up of lint with moisture near the drying elements. I fixed it myself at the time, but the dryer has since had a recall to correct the issue. Have you had a heavy load of drying lately?

Dryers are either number 1 or number 2 cause of fires I can't recall most recent stats.

Never ever ever overload a dryer. Never leave it running in attended in your house and never run it overnight or late when people are asleep.

They are a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

If only I seen this the other day. I've one of those 63amp fuses knocking around the shed from when I had a fuse board. It's still their if you want a spare, if I remember they arent the easiest to source these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

No offence but Halfords - FFS.

Go to an electrical wholesaler like

https://euro-sales-limited.business.site/

Nd Electrical Wholesalers Nutgrove

http://www.cweelectrical.com/

You're more likely to find someone who knows a 2usjqk6.jpg from a f2jwbq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    No offence but Halfords - FFS.

Go to an electrical wholesaler like

https://euro-sales-limited.business.site/

Nd Electrical Wholesalers Nutgrove

http://www.cweelectrical.com/

You're more likely to find someone who knows a 2usjqk6.jpg from a f2jwbq.jpg
    The 63 amp fuse I have doesn't resemble either of those:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As others have said already if a 63A fuse has blown it's blown for a very, very good reason and replacing it will only result in it blowing again unless you discover the reason it blew in the first place, probably some fairly catastrophic failure in your drier. You need to get the drier looked at pronto.

Many, Many thanks to this poster who gave me the heads up on a product recall. As it turns out, the dryer is actually one of those affected and I have contacted Hotpoint about a fix for the issue.

I had no idea there was a recall and you may have saved me from a worse catastrophe than a blown fuse.

I thank you!!! :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Many, Many thanks to this poster who gave me the heads up on a product recall. As it turns out, the dryer is actually one of those affected and I have contacted Hotpoint about a fix for the issue.

I had no idea there was a recall and you may have saved me from a worse catastrophe than a blown fuse.

I thank you!!! :D:D:D:D

All part of the service :pac:

That's good to hear though, when you read about some of the related cases online, it's actually quite scary. I knew mine was on the list, but it took about 6 months to actually get to it, with every cycle being closely watched. It then started to trip the power, so I took a look under the hood to see what it was (not recommended obviously, but I do have a background in a related field). What I found was a load of wet lint, built up over years, making contact with the heating elements. As it was wet, it tripped the power, but think of a dryer that is used infrequently and the same amount of dry lint acting as a kindle to a fire!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48603753

All part of the service :pac:

That's good to hear though, when you read about some of the related cases online, it's actually quite scary. I knew mine was on the list, but it took about 6 months to actually get to it, with every cycle being closely watched. It then started to trip the power, so I took a look under the hood to see what it was (not recommended obviously, but I do have a background in a related field). What I found was a load of wet lint, built up over years, making contact with the heating elements. As it was wet, it tripped the power, but think of a dryer that is used infrequently and the same amount of dry lint acting as a kindle to a fire!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48603753

Was going to get back to you on this actually, because after doing some further research, it seems that Indesit/Hotpoint/Whirpool have been forced by the UK government, to do a second recall on the dryers. Apparently the 'fix' hasn't worked in many cases and the dryers are still catching fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqiKWFR202E

The UK government ( I stress UK, because as far as I can find out, no one here is actually doing anything!) have told the manufacturers, that they have 10 days to sort the situation properly or they will take them to court.

I was onto Indesit today and they just told me to unplug the dryer and they will start contacting everyone on their database, from July 1st, to inform them of what they are going to do. In other words they don't know yet what action they are being forced to take.

I then got onto our CCPC and asked them what they knew about it and I was told that it is up to the Manufacturer to control the recall and they are just there to pass on the information that there is a recall. I asked if any Irish Body was looking after our recall to make sure the 'fix' is safe and I just received the same spiel, that they are just there to inform of the recall. The way we operate just beggars belief!!

Anyway that's the gist of it, dryers are still unsafe and not advisable to use. Register your details with Indesit and wait until 1st July to see if they are going to do a full recall/replacement.

Was going to get back to you on this actually, because after doing some further research, it seems that Indesit/Hotpoint/Whirpool have been forced by the UK government, to do a second recall on the dryers. Apparently the 'fix' hasn't worked in many cases and the dryers are still catching fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqiKWFR202E

The UK government ( I stress UK, because as far as I can find out, no one here is actually doing anything!) have told the manufacturers, that they have 10 days to sort the situation properly or they will take them to court.

I was onto Indesit today and they just told me to unplug the dryer and they will start contacting everyone on their database, from July 1st, to inform them of what they are going to do. In other words they don't know yet what action they are being forced to take.

I then got onto our CCPC and asked them what they knew about it and I was told that it is up to the Manufacturer to control the recall and they are just there to pass on the information that there is a recall. I asked if any Irish Body was looking after our recall to make sure the 'fix' is safe and I just received the same spiel, that they are just there to inform of the recall. The way we operate just beggars belief!!

Anyway that's the gist of it, dryers are still unsafe and not advisable to use. Register your details with Indesit and wait until 1st July to see if they are going to do a full recall/replacement.

Right then, so more disruption on the way, thanks for the extra info. Typical IRL attitude, sure let the manufacturers sort it out!

Advertisement