Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTSC-J N64 No Signal?

• 01-10-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hi, searched around but couldn't find anything that helped.

Got a Japanese N64 a while ago and expected it to work on my Samsung LED TV but for some reason I am not getting any signal to the TV. I'm using a PAL power supply so it comes on no problem but that's it.

Have tried using a standard Nintendo composite cable, the RF connection and an RGB scart (sync over Luma) I have for my French RGB modded N64 but the result is the same, i.e. no signal. I'm fairly sure the TV supports NTSC as it is listed as a signal type in the antennae settings and I have also tried the same cables on an LG TV but still nothing.

The only glimmer of hope I get is that I seem to be able to tune with the RF connection to a black screen and when I turn off the console it goes back to the standard static fuzz.

As far as I know the N64 was tested and working when I got it.

Would anybody have any ideas I could try? Greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Might be a problem with the game. If it isn't connected properly you will just get a black screen. Give the cart connectors a good clean and try it. RGB should work perfectly first time, it's a universal standard so if a TV supports proper RGB it will support NTSC through RGB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The console connectors have been fully cleaned as have the Japanese games I have. The result is the same with each game unfortunately.

The Japanese N64 has not been RGB modded, my PAL one has been so I had tried that RGB cable (ordered from Retrogamingcables, works perfectly on the PAL N64) on the off chance it might work.

Actually now that I think of it I did order an NTSC S-Video cable from Consolegoods for the Japanese N64 but forgot about it, I must find it and try that.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Sounds like a problem with the console not starting up as opposed to a signal problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

With the crappy composite cable you should get definitely be getting audio out if the console is working and probably fuzzy black & white picture if the TV doesn't process NTSC.

Dead console ? Check the memory expansion or jumper pack is fitted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never seen a dead N64 before, they are built to survive a nuclear winter, although I have heard of them overheating in severe cases. I'd doubt it's a console problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Thanks for the help guys, the S-Video cable seemed to do the trick! :)

The speed difference is quite something!

rQdJFGN.jpg

The speed difference is quite something!

And to think some twat on facebook called me worse than a PC elitist for saying 60 Hz was far superior.

Now get yourself Sin and Punishment and enjoy the best jap only N64 game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You know what they call a CDi owner with a broken AV cable?
    Lucky!! ;)

Advertisement