Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building an emulation machine

• 20-08-2015 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

I've been toying with this idea recently.

I want to get into retro gaming a bit more and reckon I want a dedicated setup rather than having a laptop with an emulator or two that I use every so often, a permanent setup.

So was thinking of building or buying a mini PC pretty much exclusively for emulation purposes. Something that can be permanently setup near the TV, using it as it's monitor. The small form factor would be crucial as I want something tidy, just another box near the TV.

My target would be to be able to run all emulators up to and including the Dolphin emulator (Gamecube, Wii, Triforce) which can be quite processor intensive from what I see.

Technically a decent processor, HDMI output and a wireless adapter (for easy internet connection for downloads) are probably the main things.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kerbdog, a user in these parts, has built a very capable bartop machine.
    Might be worth checking out the relevant thread to see what hardware he used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Sound, will check that out.

Looking closer at the Dolphin emulator it needs a pretty decent CPU, might need to re-consider that as my benchmark if I want to keep costs down.

If I move forward with things, I'll let people know what I select and how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

A raspberry pi2 with retropie can emulate up to playstation 1 without any issues. It's tiny, costs about 40 euro (plus a micro sd card) and does the job very well. I use one in my bartop right now.

Yeah, think I might row back my requirement to run Dolphin and look at the PI. If I got one of those, a case off EBay, a generic USB wireless adapter and a good size micro SD card I would be good to go really. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Yeah, think I might row back my requirement to run Dolphin and look at the PI. If I got one of those, a case off EBay, a generic USB wireless adapter and a good size micro SD card I would be good to go really. :)

Ive built one or two into (defunct) console cases..works pretty well..just finished a c64 pi 2( with working original keyboard and joystick ports .( as well as usb for more modern pads)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Ive built one or two into (defunct) console cases..works pretty well..just finished a c64 pi 2( with working original keyboard and joystick ports .( as well as usb for more modern pads)

Any pics? Sounds great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Is there certain models to look out for with the raspberry pi 2? I see a lot of listings with '2015 version', is that the best one to get?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

eddhorse wrote: »
    Any pics? Sounds great
    I've a video that I keep meaning stick up on the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How do you get the original C64 keyboard working with the Pi 2 Bob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Technically a decent processor, HDMI output and a wireless adapter (for easy internet connection for downloads) are probably the main things.

VGA output + Scanline Generator

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Is there certain models to look out for with the raspberry pi 2? I see a lot of listings with '2015 version', is that the best one to get?

Yeah you want the 2015 Model B+ it has more USB, better audio, more gpio (important if you are using arcade buttons) and a few other improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

A more powerful option than the Pi would be to buy an android box or ouya console if you can get one cheap second hand.

There's a **** ton of decent emulators on android with frontends available, there's even free versions of the best emulators (intended for the Chinese android market.)

The ouyas "nostalgia" GUI in particular is great for emulators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    How do you get the original C64 keyboard working with the Pi 2 Bob?

I’d say he used a Keyrah 2 or similar. That’s what I used on my C64/Pi2 mashup anyway.
    http://www.vesalia.de/e_keyrahv2.htm

Very nice little thing and it works on the Amiga 600/1200 as well. That recent Kickstarter for the A1200 cases has a nice slot for it, along with the Raspberry Pi.

Well I'm finally back.

I've decided to go with the Retropie suggestions, seems like a great piece of kit.

Will get a Pi 2, case etc. from AliExpress.

Might use a Xbox 360 wired controller as my controller of choice. Anyone know where to pick one up at a good price?

Good video here outlining Retropie setup, this guys channels has lots on Retropie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

As far as I know the generic PS-style controllers work a lot easier with emulators than a wired 360 one, but the wired 360 is yer only man for PC games.

I have multiple emulators on my laptop and find the PS style one very handy with the major SNES/MD/NES/MS emulators.

Thanks for that advice.

I have a Logitech Dual Action USB controller which is a PS Dual Shock rip-off - link

I also have a little converter that allows you to plug a PS1, PS2 era controller into it and then connect it to a PC via USB.

EDIT: Just found a Street Fighter IV Fightpad for the 360 that will probably work too for older games (no analogue sticks).

Here's what I have ordered so far, pretty much good to go after this - have plenty of USB cables and adapters and will get a cheap HDMI cable in Dealz:

Pi 2 plus case and heatsinks from Aliexpress link - $39.59
    300M Wi-fi dongle link $4.59

Total for these 2 circa €40

64GB Class 10 card including delivery link £16.94 - €23.50

360 joypad works fine for everything except the damn n64 and it's bastardized controler setup :P

You are doing well with what you have ordered there. I like to run my roms from a USB drive though as they have less chance of failure than a micro sd card with constant read/writes and even if it does fail it doesnt take the OS with it.

The Raspberry Pi 2 just arrived today.

Not too bad, ordered on the 8th so just over 3 weeks, so i'd definitely recommend Aliexpress.

Looking forward to getting things setup.

The Raspberry Pi 2 just arrived today.

Not too bad, ordered on the 8th so just over 3 weeks, so i'd definitely recommend Aliexpress.

Looking forward to getting things setup.

Did you not order from the UK? Usually takes 2-3 days from there, and they are mostly made in the Uk now I think. Big saving on Aliexpress?

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Did you not order from the UK? Usually takes 2-3 days from there, and they are mostly made in the Uk now I think. Big saving on Aliexpress?

Just under $40 including delivery on AliExpress for the Pi 2, a case and heatsinks (don't think you really need the heatsinks) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B-BCM2836-1GB-RAM-6-times-faster-than-Raspberry-PI-Model-B/32291542644.html

I was in no rush anyway for it.

• Advertisement

Just under $40 including delivery on AliExpress for the Pi 2, a case and heatsinks (don't think you really need the heatsinks) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B-BCM2836-1GB-RAM-6-times-faster-than-Raspberry-PI-Model-B/32291542644.html

I was in no rush anyway for it.

Yeah, that's a decent price. Its just about 45 euro for same stuff from RS Ireland(not inc postage).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yffisch

I would also suggest the PI :)

So I finally got off my @rse and set this up at the weekend. I can't post up screenshots at the moment but it worked brilliantly, very happy with it.

I used the Youtube guide I linked to in the previous page. Everything went smoothly, the Logitech controller was detected without issue and was able to configure all the buttons.

I haven't been able to get the Wi-fi adapter working yet. Despite some googling and experience with Linux it's been a little troublesome, will need to spend some time on it.

One thing to note with the latest 3.x verions of Retropie, in order to transfer your games using USB you need to create a folder called "retropie" on the root of your USB stick, otherwise Retropie won't create the folder it should create for the ROMs.

Performance is great, I did overclock it a little. Need to spend more time on it, played Super Mario World and Megaman X for the SNES and Wipeout 2097 for the PS1.

For an early 3D game Wipeout still seems to hold up very well, still excellent. Another tip - in order to get the CD audio playing for the PS1 games you need to start the .cue file not the .bin file, that confused me a little until I googled.

Next I'm going to grab some USB extension leads and a second controller, will be able to keep the PI behind the TV then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Might take a look at getting this kit for Xmas for myself after reading the thread :)

Worth it for the craic, will have me playing retro games more now than just using emulators on my laptop, just like having a tiny retro console next to the TV.

Follow the video on the previous page but if you run into trouble send me an IM.

Advertisement