Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggression from one cat to another

Options
  • 13-12-2019 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Would value similar experiences and possible suggestions.

I took in three rescued young street cats over a year ago; one male, two female, all neutered; the young lady who had rescued them had the females spayed the week before I collected them. They were all around a year old then.

All was well. but since then a problem has developed between the male, and Jacob, one of my existing cats, the most laid back cat you could meet.

Just Jacob; with Boycat, Oliver is fine. curls up with him, no issues. NB all my cats are neutered.

But he hates Jacob. Goes on the attack every chance he gets. Leaps at him, scratches him. Poor old Jacob is terrified. Runs away, hides.. Time after time

At this moment, Oliver has again been exiled to the outdoors.( there are snug places out there) It is the only way there is any peace and he is totally docile re that and when I tell him off, heads for the door.... If he is left indoors, he sneaks up on Jacob.

Jacob has never reciprocated. He does not have an aggressive bone in his body. A total adorable wuss! But this is so stressful for him

I have had multiple cats for nigh on forty years and never anything like this between neutered males. As I said, he gets on fine with Boycat.

Any ideas valued. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

No ideas really - have 2 females, neutered, the original cat (both ex-feral) *HATES* the newer arrival, and will attack/pounce/hiss at the other cat, who just looks at her and doesnt reciprocate even thought she is at least twice/three times the weight of the attacking cat. Unlike your cat who is frightened of the attacking male, I can live with mean female cat - I just shout at her, put her outside if its very nasty, and make a fuss of attacked cat. Maybe you could just give Jacob a very nice high value treat, to help him over the stress of the attack, and to make him not mind Oliver attacking him so much, when a yummy treat is delivered when Oliver is exiled?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Many thanks as it is a relief to know this is not unique to these two! I have only ever had this with entire males.
    Looking back it started when Jacob stopped coming on the walks. But these days I cannot walk as I did so paid little heed.

Pattern now is Oliver comes in and immediately goes in search of Jacob! Y'day J was in the wardrobe, and Oliver lay in front of the door!

Then I yell at Oliver who goes to the house door as he knows he has to go out.All quite calculated! Jacob vanishes; he almost never goes out any more but that was so for the first years I had him.

Jacob now spends most of the time on my bed ( I am off my feet a fair amount) which is far more to him than any food treat!

So I am doing as you are!

Oliver KNOWS he is doing wrong . So blatantly manipulative. And I make sure he gets plenty of affection when he is being good. He is a good cat except when he is after Jacob. Takes being exiled as a matter of course

Again, thank you.
    aonb wrote: »
    No ideas really - have 2 females, neutered, the original cat (both ex-feral) *HATES* the newer arrival, and will attack/pounce/hiss at the other cat, who just looks at her and doesnt reciprocate even thought she is at least twice/three times the weight of the attacking cat. Unlike your cat who is frightened of the attacking male, I can live with mean female cat - I just shout at her, put her outside if its very nasty, and make a fuss of attacked cat. Maybe you could just give Jacob a very nice high value treat, to help him over the stress of the attack, and to make him not mind Oliver attacking him so much, when a yummy treat is delivered when Oliver is exiled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

We had a male cat like that until recently, he was quite a character. Johnny come lately but considered himself Royalty and king of the roost. He was actually very likable and a bit of a menace at the same time, would sneak up and attack the others, particularly an older female cat we have who just learnt to avoid him. We'd throw him out but it made not a blind bit of difference. Sadly though, he didn't realise our neighbour's pickup wasn't a thing to avoid and that was his downfall.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    We had a male cat like that until recently, he was quite a character. Johnny come lately but considered himself Royalty and king of the roost. He was actually very likable and a bit of a menace at the same time, would sneak up and attack the others, particularly an older female cat we have who just learnt to avoid him. We'd throw him out but it made not a blind bit of difference. Sadly though, he didn't realise our neighbour's pickup wasn't a thing to avoid and that was his downfall.

Oh that is so sad! Traffic free out here.

Early today Oliver actually raced me down the corridor to get at Jacob! Then went to sit by the door as he knew he would be sent out! Quite blatant.

And thankfully it is only Jacob he attacks. Odd as they look alike. Same markings

Thanks for sharing[ it helps so much. Just want the best for these rescues who give me so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

He sounds like a lovable rogue alright. Not much to be done about it though I think, cats seem to have their own hierarchy and view of their world.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    He sounds like a lovable rogue alright. Not much to be done about it though I think, cats seem to have their own hierarchy and view of their world.

He has to learn his manners. He really does. He is terrorising a placid older cat. I will outwit him yet! With my cats, they are with me 24/7 so I have a lot of say … He respects NO even now. The way he heads for the door without being told to is funny...

The real problem is his first year out wild. He will have had, as a young male then, to fight for survival. He is the one who likes to bring strays home with him!

Progress, thanks to your encouragement !

I am very limited mobility-wise so always establish voice control with my cats. They are as trainable as dogs. Just a little..... different.

And they all "adore" me.

So now I am achieving results with the word NO! when the sinner is about to attack Jacob. A loud NO,, then praise and petting when he obeys

It got bad y;day when Oliver chased Jacob into hiding then stood there over him. Jacob is an older cat and needs his peace.

Earlier, Jacob was eating raw chicken in full view and I could see Oliver was about to take off, so NO! was shouted.
    He backed off, jumped onto a chair, and was praised and petted.

He is such an affectionate little cat.

Feeling very hopeful now.

The face close up is Jacob; the sleeping cat is Oliver, curled up happily with Jacob. and yes they are alike. Jacob is much bigger.

Cats are so infuriating , and funny in their behavior.

There’s an excellent series on RTE1 now called The Cat Hospital , it’s run by a female vet who is fantastic and specializes in everything feline. As a lifelong cat lover and owner I’ve learned a lot about cats in the past few weeks from this programme.

She featured a cat last week who was getting so stressed by another cat in the household that she kept getting very bad cystitis. (cystitis is brought on by stress in cats) The other cat was doing nothing ! No hissing, no fighting , no playing , no stealing food, nothing. Nobody could explain why this cat got so stressed by the other one. Eventually the vet prescribed cat Prozac and it worked ! The cat became so chilled she didn’t care if there were 100 other cats in the house. Everyone is happy now.

My little tabby is a beautiful friendly cat but a killer outside. She can catch and kill big rats so she’s invaluable to me . But she’s absolutely terrified of other cats in the area and she is also totally submissive around my elderly half demented 19 year old house cat . There seems to be a huge hierarchy with cats , something us mere mortals don’t understand a lot of the time, they always find their pecking order.

Seems Graces7 that your verbal commands are working well !! That’s great. I hate to see young cats bullying older ones , gotta be nipped in the bud !

Amazing and great post; thank you.

Just had Oliver lying on my bed with Jacob fast asleep two feet away! I think we have worked a near miracle!

Oliver is totally devoted to me. I cannot venture outside without he follows me.He is the one who rolls over in his back in my path. Earlier I was trying to sort out why my camera was not charging and was in a tangle of cables. He cried at the door and I had to make him wait. He got hysterical. We never know what these rescues have endured; Like the little girl here who I spent an hour with persuading her it was safe to go through the door. She is fine now...

So I think we have reached a settlement! He is very subdued!

Earlier in the year I could separate them at night by closing the new ones in the kitchen but the only source of heat in my small accommodation is the stove in there.

Your cats sound like mine!
    Cats are so infuriating , and funny in their behavior.

There’s an excellent series on RTE1 now called The Cat Hospital , it’s run by a female vet who is fantastic and specializes in everything feline. As a lifelong cat lover and owner I’ve learned a lot about cats in the past few weeks from this programme.

She featured a cat last week who was getting so stressed by another cat in the household that she kept getting very bad cystitis. (cystitis is brought on by stress in cats) The other cat was doing nothing ! No hissing, no fighting , no playing , no stealing food, nothing. Nobody could explain why this cat got so stressed by the other one. Eventually the vet prescribed cat Prozac and it worked ! The cat became so chilled she didn’t care if there were 100 other cats in the house. Everyone is happy now.

My little tabby is a beautiful friendly cat but a killer outside. She can catch and kill big rats so she’s invaluable to me . But she’s absolutely terrified of other cats in the area and she is also totally submissive around my elderly half demented 19 year old house cat . There seems to be a huge hierarchy with cats , something us mere mortals don’t understand a lot of the time, they always find their pecking order.

Seems Graces7 that your verbal commands are working well !! That’s great. I hate to see young cats bullying older ones , gotta be nipped in the bud !

So Jacob decides to go walkies into the kitchen, oblivious to the fact that Oliver is sitting on the chair.. POW! Jacob goes into hiding and Oliver, with me on his tail, goes outside., fast!

Progress is slow but definite... Watching Oliver trying to negotiate with the outside feral is interesting too! He is after all a teenager with all that that entails. My being BOSS cuts across their power struggles...

Keeps me alert too! One of my GPs way back opined he was going to get all his solitary older patients to get a cat as it was doing me so much good.. current GP ordered me to put all my cats OUTSIDE! A local Mayo man.. lol.... rarely comes to the island ;)

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    So Jacob decides to go walkies into the kitchen, oblivious to the fact that Oliver is sitting on the chair.. POW! Jacob goes into hiding and Oliver, with me on his tail, goes outside., fast!

Progress is slow but definite... Watching Oliver trying to negotiate with the outside feral is interesting too! He is after all a teenager with all that that entails. My being BOSS cuts across their power struggles...

Keeps me alert too! One of my GPs way back opined he was going to get all his solitary older patients to get a cat as it was doing me so much good.. current GP ordered me to put all my cats OUTSIDE! A local Mayo man.. lol.... rarely comes to the island ;)

This ‘Oliver’ sounds like quite a character . He’s willing to accept blame and punishment for his wrongdoings , it’s like he just can’t resist the temptation . I wonder if it’s his way of trying to get Jacob to join in the fun and play with him ?

Sometimes I think I’ll get another cat to play with my younger tabby as she’s playful but the 19 year old isn’t interested in such nonsense (understandably!)
    Then again I think I should wait until 19 year old succumbs which I’d say is before the end of this winter , she’s on daily medication.

Personally I adore both cats and dogs having been reared with both. But dogs are more work and right now with work I can’t get another dog. They give you so much unconditional love ! Cats are great company and very therapeutic if you live alone. They need you in a more selfish way (you don’t get as much back from them !!) but when they’re curled up beside the fire purring on a cold night it’s lovely :)

This ‘Oliver’ sounds like quite a character . He’s willing to accept blame and punishment for his wrongdoings , it’s like he just can’t resist the temptation . I wonder if it’s his way of trying to get Jacob to join in the fun and play with him ?

Indeed he just cannot help himself ! He knows where Jacob hides and creeps in there.

Coming away with a mouthful of fur! And no this is deliberate and consistent aggression. He has decided that Jacob MUST GO and seeks him out every time he comes into the house for just that purpose...

The buzzword is a loud NO...

In the photo he is curled up so happily with Boycat as he does with the others,, Just poor old Jacob.

Sometimes I think I’ll get another cat to play with my younger tabby as she’s playful but the 19 year old isn’t interested in such nonsense (understandably!)
    Then again I think I should wait until 19 year old succumbs which I’d say is before the end of this winter , she’s on daily medication.

Personally I adore both cats and dogs having been reared with both. But dogs are more work and right now with work I can’t get another dog. They give you so much unconditional love ! Cats are great company and very therapeutic if you live alone. They need you in a more selfish way (you don’t get as much back from them !!) but when they’re curled up beside the fire purring on a cold night it’s lovely :)

I beg to disagree with your ideas re the needs of cats. But I am with mine 24/7 and that makes a difference. They are as dependent as dogs. I get more back from them than I did from my dogs. Oliver worships me and that is why this will sort out. He cannot bear that he is offending me.

I found dogs far more needy and dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

19 years old ...wow.
    May I ask, what is she like at that age. Do they sleep most of the time? Does she groom herself? Does she ever play? Her eyesight and dexterity?

Sorry to pull this OT Grace. I hope you're well and your cats are starting to find some peace.
    I do think that over time cats tend to reach an agreement and to stop fighting. But by all means I would always discourage them from fighting.
    I've ran out in the rain in nothing but bare feet to break up fights as they can tear lumps out of each other when they are at it.

I have two cats that absolutely hated each other and one was the aggressor and the other was the "scaredy cat", but they now have settled their differences and groom each other and sleep together and sometimes I think they are my two gay cats.

19 years old ...wow.
    May I ask, what is she like at that age. Do they sleep most of the time? Does she groom herself? Does she ever play? Her eyesight and dexterity?

Sorry to pull this OT Grace. I hope you're well and your cats are starting to find some peace.
    I do think that over time cats tend to reach an agreement and to stop fighting. But by all means I would always discourage them from fighting.
    I've ran out in the rain in nothing but bare feet to break up fights as they can tear lumps out of each other when they are at it.

I have two cats that absolutely hated each other and one was the aggressor and the other was the "scaredy cat", but they now have settled their differences and groom each other and sleep together and sometimes I think they are my two gay cats.

it is fine; I love hearing about cats!

Second bolded; I once had 2 cockerels... They fought furiously and even a bucket of water tipped over them... Had to grab one and flee with him.. He was an old one and I made a kind of retirement flat for him safe from the newcomer! Called him Rooney after the building society manager who gave me the bridging loan I needed to move to Orkney..

19 years old ...wow.

The 19 year old is hanging in. Every year I think this will be her last , but I really believe it this time ! She’s well minded, indoors all the time except in summer when she loves the heat of the sun. She’s a long haired black cat and cannot groom herself now so she gets taken to vet now and again where they gently cut off the fur lumps . She won’t tolerate being brushed by me .

I give her a daily tablet for her chestiness and she is on diabetic food. Due to her recent diagnosis of diabetes she can no longer have steroids for her chest. Soon enough the daily tablet (Bricanyl) will no longer work. When she starts having trouble breathing it’s straight to the vet to be put to sleep. But as long as she’s happy, comfortable and pain free I’ll keep her.

I’d love to get another younger cat but will wait till this one dies. It’s just not fair. My cats live to a great age, they’re well minded ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

The 19 year old is hanging in. Every year I think this will be her last , but I really believe it this time ! She’s well minded, indoors all the time except in summer when she loves the heat of the sun. She’s a long haired black cat and cannot groom herself now so she gets taken to vet now and again where they gently cut off the fur lumps . She won’t tolerate being brushed by me .

I give her a daily tablet for her chestiness and she is on diabetic food. Due to her recent diagnosis of diabetes she can no longer have steroids for her chest. Soon enough the daily tablet (Bricanyl) will no longer work. When she starts having trouble breathing it’s straight to the vet to be put to sleep. But as long as she’s happy, comfortable and pain free I’ll keep her.

I’d love to get another younger cat but will wait till this one dies. It’s just not fair. My cats live to a great age, they’re well minded ! :D

yeah totally agree with u regarding getting a new cat, the stress alone would probably send her over the edge.
    My mother had a cat that lived to the age of 14 and she died in her sleep in her little cat bed all rolled up the way cats sleep sometimes.
    Here's hoping your one goes that way and there's no suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭acequion

To me it smacks of a case of typical feline jealousy. Oliver is the new kid on the block and he totally adores you and won't be too happy with this Jacob bloke who was there before him in your heart and in your bed and has a special place in both. It's a tricky one to resolve but you seem to be doing really well and with your long experience as a cat owner you know what you're doing.

Some interesting posts on this thread about cat behaviour. I completely agree about the hierarchy. I live on a quiet street but which has now a sizeable cat population, about 8-10 cats. Mine, being 8 is the oldest and is quite uppity towards the others as queen of the pack.She will sit at a distance all haughty and doesn't appreciate when they get over familiar. When she was younger there was an old cat a few houses up and it was interesting how she would defer to him. She would pal around with him whereas no way will she stoop to palling around with these pesky young guys.:D And for all that she's a placid little thing and not into hissing or growling. She has a quiet way of making her point, wish I was like her [lol]

@sweetmaggie, I agree about not getting a younger cat. At one point I was thinking of getting more but my vet advised against it saying young cats tend to bully the older ones ie Oliver and Jacob. The trick is to get them all together or introduce new cats when the others are still young. My girl isn't old at 8,but very set in her ways.:)

Many thanks for this encouragement. What puzzles me is why Jacob and not eg Boycat? Oliver will cuddle up with Boycat; who also spends a lot of time in my bed More and more he is actually searching out Jacob to attack him quite ferociously.

Just had to eject him yet again; maybe he is blaming Jacob for that .

And he, Oliver, gets a massive amount of affection.

Time is the answer. Always time

acequion wrote: »
    To me it smacks of a case of typical feline jealousy. Oliver is the new kid on the block and he totally adores you and won't be too happy with this Jacob bloke who was there before him in your heart and in your bed and has a special place in both. It's a tricky one to resolve but you seem to be doing really well and with your long experience as a cat owner you know what you're doing.

Interesting! I found the photo I put on the " sunshine and lollipops " page last June of the five cats accompanying me to the shore; Jacob in the lead with Oliver close behind. No problems then. Ah well; it is what it is. Oliver was out almost all night and the sheer exuberance of his affection when he came in...

• Advertisement

Sigh.. This situation has not gone away; just I have got efficient at dealing with it... Oliver is a slow learner!

Earlier I called Jacob in; I was outside picking kale, and he had been away 24 hours, Oliver was asleep on my bed,

EXPLOSION as Jacob walked straight into him.

When I got to the kitchen, no sign of Jacob but Oliver was standing guard by the table ( Cloth reaches to the floor..)

I eject Oliver and Jacob emerges.. then Oliver races in again and they have a rollroundssnarling session; YOU know.. I wade in, soft-slippered feet first, yelling and screaming and Oliver is "helped" out of the door ….there are tufts of white fur floating round the hallway...
    Takes me five minutes and raw chicken to get Jacob out from under the table and Oliver is still outside .

Jacob fast asleep abed with me. Tail twitching in his sleep.

All I can do is carry on taking care and separating them. Love them both and they both love me but each other? Forget it!

Advertisement