Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing for small dog

Options
  • 03-12-2019 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Looking for some advice. I'll be spending a few days with my parents this year and have a new puppy (who likes to wander!). THey have a large hedge but lots of small gaps at the bottom that she could get through to main road.

Should I just get some chicken wire or is there anything else on the market that's quick and easy to install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Barney224 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. I'll be spending a few days with my parents this year and have a new puppy (who likes to wander!). THey have a large hedge but lots of small gaps at the bottom that she could get through to main road.

Should I just get some chicken wire or is there anything else on the market that's quick and easy to install?

Personally if it’s only a few days Id take the pup out on lead for toileting etc abd wouldn’t leave him / her in the garden unattended and off lead

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

cocker5 wrote: »
    Personally if it’s only a few days Id take the pup out on lead for toileting etc abd wouldn’t leave him / her in the garden unattended and off lead

Yeah, I was thinking that, but my parents are worriers and quite elderly. Also, we may go out one or 2 nights so they'll be left on their own with the dogs. We'll be visting again after Christmas so wanted to get something a bit more permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Barney224 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking that, but my parents are worriers and quite elderly. Also, we may go out one or 2 nights so they'll be left on their own with the dogs. We'll be visting again after Christmas so wanted to get something a bit more permanent.

Can you not crate train the puppy and when your going out leave them inside in their crate?

Just personally unless the garden was 100% secure I wouldn't go out and leave a puppy outside (plus it would be faaaar to cold for the pup outside) but that's just me

I think op just meant they'll be leaving the pup with the parents some nights and they might let the dog out for a bit. Or that's my understand, although I initially thought the same as you cocker and had to re read.

Imo you could probably get away with the chicken wire if it's just to secure a few gaps and your just worried about taking your eye off the pup for a minute or two rather than leaving him outside for long periods alone. You definitely couldn't leave him long because chicken wire wouldn't be secure enough but if you were keeping an eye it should be enough to put him off making an escape. If he got bored at all or had enough alone time to make an effort, he would get through it. Even for short periods with someone watching, I would secure the wire on bottom too... My dad has them little U shaped yokes hooking his wiring into the ground in a few spots. I don't know what they're called .. DIY is not my thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You could get a collapsible run type thing that you could pop up for keeping puppy contained - something like this:

https://ie.raygardirect.com/FFE302Medium.html?currency=2&gclid=CjwKCAiArJjvBRACEiwA-Wiqq3Tvq1GJVKsvNWNqmzf1oKgXRqx-p6uSToUsMqATEbrepfoDQfRbrhoC2dkQAvD_BwE

I wouldnt leave any puppy outside for very long at night - too cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

careful with fencing - a friend once had her eager 'escapee' pup get stuck and tragically strangled itself trying to free itself. Sorry, gruesome but a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

Chicken wire is probs the easiest option but just be aware it can injure them if they're trying to get over or under. My sisters cocker spaniel pup chewed her way out of a chicken wire enclosure at only a few months old! If your parents will be outside with them and you're just worried about no quick escapes then go for it but I wouldn't leave them outside unattended for any length of time. Puppies are little escape artists and chances are they'll find something they wanna get to that happens to be exactly where they're not meant to be! Espesh with all the sites and smells & new environment.

Advertisement