Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a cat

Options
  • 26-11-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭

I see there's a sticky about buying a dog, is there a similar guide for cats ?

e.g. 1) We hear lots about puppy farms, are there similar issues with cats ?
    2) is Done deal a bad idea or what are reputable places ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Rescues are FULL of kittens, I would advise that you don't go buying one on Done Deal. Where in the country are you based? Maybe people can give recommendations by PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Rescues are FULL of kittens, I would advise that you don't go buying one on Done Deal. Where in the country are you based? Maybe people can give recommendations by PM?

North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Go to your local vet and ask if they have any kittens. They will probably quiz you a bit to make sure you are a suitable owner, this is good, don't take it personally! They will give the kitten its shots, check it out and neuter it, so you will end up paying for it - more for the treatment than the actual kitten.

If you want a pedigree then you will have to go to a breeder - again the vets might be able to offer advice. Honestly though if you just want a pet get a moggie - a kitten that you just like the look of.

You do hear of people with kittens to give away, which is fine, but you will still need to get it checked out and neutered so its easier to go through the vet's office.

Edit - or a rescue as mentioned above, they will approach the situation much the same as the vet.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    North Dublin

PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

donedeal is fine if you read carefully. I got my last three rescues there. They were in a small private rescue and the lady was leaving the country. She had nine cats and got my three spayed and neutered just before I collected them so they were vet checked.

Many of the smaller rescues advertise on donedeal; there is a lady in Dublin who does wonderful work and always has a great selection there.

and enjoy! Cats are wondrous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Rescue centres can be a lot of effort, not to mention the home inspections from randomers that would know less about animals than I would. Plus the fees they charge for pre-vet work already done, its fine maybe for neutering but they seem to throw a lot of additional stuff on. If you have any sense, you'll bring them to your own vet to get all the required checks done anyway.

I picked up 2 kittens a few years back at 8-9WKs old from a guy who didn't neuter his own cat in time, lucky it was only a small litter but he looked after them.

When getting a cat private, do some checks on the eyes, ears, butt, nails & skin, body weight. at 8WKs they should be full of energy for most of the day. Also no need o pay for them, drop down to your local vet as well.

Rescue centres can be a lot of effort, not to mention the home inspections from randomers that would know less about animals than I would. Plus the fees they charge for pre-vet work already done, its fine maybe for neutering but they seem to throw a lot of additional stuff on. If you have any sense, you'll bring them to your own vet to get all the required checks done anyway.

I picked up 2 kittens a few years back at 8-9WKs old from a guy who didn't neuter his own cat in time, lucky it was only a small litter but he looked after them.

When getting a cat private, do some checks on the eyes, ears, butt, nails & skin, body weight. at 8WKs they should be full of energy for most of the day. Also no need o pay for them, drop down to your local vet as well.

Agree; I have only once had kittens from a rescue; they came infected with enteritis. love donedeal as so many like the ones you mention. Owners who got caught. The young lady I got these three from was very laid back and clearly loved her cats. And cared for them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Apart from the obvious 'adopt dont shop; for pets, do you have experience with cats?

I know too many people who have decided they are allergic when it becomes apparent that the cute little kitty is harder work than they thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Better off going to a breeder and getting a quality cat most of those shelter cats are manky strays with one eye or one ear etc.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Better off going to a breeder and getting a quality cat most of those shelter cats are manky strays with one eye or one ear etc.

That is ridiculous and just untrue... There is nothing wrong with adopting an injured cat btw, but there are also plenty of adorable, perfect kittens in rescue centres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Rescue centres can be a lot of effort, not to mention the home inspections from randomers that would know less about animals than I would. Plus the fees they charge for pre-vet work already done,

The home inspections are informal quick visits to make sure everyone in the house is on board with getting a cat, they don’t go through your underwear drawer not expect you to live in a mansion. 99% of people pass!

As for fees. Most rescues in Dublin charge around 60 euro for cats and that comes nowhere near to what they pay out in vet fees to get them ready for homing. Neutering alone from my local vet costs 100 euro for a female, vaccinations costs 75 and then there are flea and worm treatments etc.

Stay far away from Done Deal, no reputable rescues advertise through it, just ones claiming to be. That website has single handily allowed puppy farming to become rife in this country.

Graces7 wrote: »
    donedeal is fine if you read carefully. I got my last three rescues there. They were in a small private rescue and the lady was leaving the country. She had nine cats and got my three spayed and neutered just before I collected them so they were vet checked.

Many of the smaller rescues advertise on donedeal; there is a lady in Dublin who does wonderful work and always has a great selection there.

and enjoy! Cats are wondrous!

Again no reputable rescues advertise through Donedeal, in fact most despise it! Stick to rescues with charity numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Myself & OH got 2 kittens just about 2 years ago.

We tried 2 rescues, but refused us on numerous ground. The main ones were;
    *we lived too close to a main road
    *we both worked (one of us was expected to stay at home with them) they aren't ever alone for too long and have the run of the house with 3 unique views outside.
    *we also had to raise them as indoor exclusively

Went to done deal, found a lady who have a litter free to a good home. We adopted the last 2 kittens, we got them all their shots and annual check ups.

They get left out most days for roughly 3-6 hours depending on daylight. They rarely go too far, and still get to hunt plenty of small rodents.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

*we both worked (one of

Went to done deal, found a lady who have a litter free to a good home. We adopted the last 2 kittens, we got them all their shots and annual check ups.

Were the mother and father cats neutered after you took the kittens? A rescue would have ensured they were. Or were they left to have more and more litters? Were the next lot so lucky to get homes?

This is the problem. People get kittens off Donedeal and think they have done the kittens a favour.

Meanwhile mammy is left to continue producing more and more and eventually the next lot get handed to rescue as the homes have run out. Rescues are expected to pay all the bills and eventually end up having to stump up for mammy to get spayed also. I’ve seen it a million times, it’s prolific.

It’s estimated 180,000 kittens die each year in Ireland due to overpopulation and people’s attitude towards them. Let that sink in.

karenalot wrote: »
    Were the mother and father cats neutered after you took the kittens? A rescue would have ensured they were. Or were they left to have more and more litters? Were the next lot so lucky to get homes?

This is the problem. People get kittens off Donedeal and think they have done the kittens a favour.

Meanwhile mammy is left to continue producing more and more and eventually the next lot get handed to rescue as the homes have run out. Rescues are expected to pay all the bills and eventually end up having to stump up for mammy to get spayed also. I’ve seen it a million times, it’s prolific.

It’s estimated 180,000 kittens die each year in Ireland due to overpopulation and people’s attitude towards them. Let that sink in.

I don't know, if the mother got neutered to be honest. We didn't pay for the kittens, they were free. So there is no motivation to encourage the cat to pop out more litters...

The 2 we adopted were neutered when they were of a suitable age

Oasis1974 wrote: »

Not true All my five are rescues. They need a loving home and give so much to their people.

Again no reputable rescues advertise through Donedeal, in fact most despise it! Stick to rescues with charity numbers.

Why? I mean are they saying the cats in ads are ???

Have to disagree on grounds of personal experience; one of whom is purring on my shoulder. Never a bad choice from donedeal . Better even than adverts ie

Most are folk who love cats. Have you looked at donedeal recently?

If I need any cats again or can take any more rescues it will be via donedeal. Many advertising are simply folk whose cat had got out and they were seeking homes for the kittens, rather than kill them. I am not into home visits etc.

My choice totally. And not one iota of regret..and I have been breeding, keeping and rescuing cats for decades, so know whereof I speak.

End of topic for me! ;)

Meanwhile mammy is left to continue producing more and more and eventually the next lot get handed to rescue as the homes have run out. Rescues are expected to pay all the bills and eventually end up having to stump up for mammy to get spayed also.
    :confused:
    I’ve seen it a million times, :confused:

Yes and they are doing. Giving them a good home, just as rescues do.

My last three were in a small informal group of street cats roaming free and largely starving. Past the age of any parental connections.
    It is not always or even often possible to find the mother. When it has been I have had her spayed of course. And many vets run programmes at little or no cost for spaying. A lot of folk are doing a lot.

Many of us care deeply. Please rest assured of that. And do all we can. Please rest assured of that also

But I will always use eg donedeal rather than a rescue group that insists on home visits etc .. My new three were around a year when they came here. My other three that were had been raised by a man after the mother got killed on the road. Another had been dumped so parentage unknown

So many ways a cat can end up needing a home, and so many ways of fulfilling that need. Just now a stray is at my door, neglected locally.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

*we both worked (one of us was expected to stay at home with them) they aren't ever alone for too long and have the run of the house with 3 unique views outside.
    *we also had to raise them as indoor exclusively

They get left out most days for roughly 3-6 hours depending on daylight. They rarely go too far, and still get to hunt plenty of small rodents.

Perfect; well done! A wonderful life you are giving them. Thank you!

The home inspections are informal quick visits to make sure everyone in the house is on board with getting a cat, they don’t go through your underwear drawer not expect you to live in a mansion. 99% of people pass!

As for fees. Most rescues in Dublin charge around 60 euro for cats and that comes nowhere near to what they pay out in vet fees to get them ready for homing. Neutering alone from my local vet costs 100 euro for a female, vaccinations costs 75 and then there are flea and worm treatments etc.

Stay far away from Done Deal, no reputable rescues advertise through it, just ones claiming to be. That website has single handily allowed puppy farming to become rife in this country.

Most vets will neuter rescues for little. Mine were done in Kerry for five euros.

Your accusations take the breath away! I hope you can prove that! Most of us can discriminate re ads. I certainly can.

Ah well! lol... Ah well! I remain very happy with donedeal for cats . After decades of cats I am well equipped to discriminate and to aver they do well . My three here are reminders of that integrity. YOU ROCK donedeal !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

and no one has mentioned that most of rescues require landlord permission. This together with home visits (???), some random high fees and the whole "interviewing" process make this system a joke.
    I know they try hard, and pay a lot of money, but they do need to make it easier for the public first.
    I got my kitten from a friend, and would advise the same: ask your friends / people at work, usually someone somewhere have heard of a kitten looking for home. If not, then donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

There’s always someone with kittens. Cats are more over populated then dogs really.
    I can’t see how there could be a puppy farm situation either although someone could might correct me on this. Breeding purebred cats is a different kettle of fish then dogs. You won’t find as many for sale as puppy’s. Sphynx for example is not easy to get in Ireland.
    Go easy on the rescues yes there is usually a few to cover vet costs and they will ask questions. Kittens are notoriously used for bait and the monsters who do that look out for the free to good homes adds.
    A cat can definitely be a totally indoor animal and have higher mortality when they are indoors.
    They need just the same amount as health care as dogs. If you get a long hair there gonna need grooming! They will scratch your furniture and climb your curtains and if you want something to come showering you affection after a hard day at work you may be disappointed. But I think they are wonderful pets and being litter trained no taking out in the rain for bathroom breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

RubyGlee wrote: »
    There’s always someone with kittens. Cats are more over populated then dogs really.
    I can’t see how there could be a puppy farm situation either although someone could might correct me on this. Breeding purebred cats is a different kettle of fish then dogs. You won’t find as many for sale as puppy’s. Sphynx for example is not easy to get in Ireland.
    Go easy on the rescues yes there is usually a few to cover vet costs and they will ask questions. Kittens are notoriously used for bait and the monsters who do that look out for the free to good homes adds.
    A cat can definitely be a totally indoor animal and have higher mortality when they are indoors.
    They need just the same amount as health care as dogs. If you get a long hair there gonna need grooming! They will scratch your furniture and climb your curtains and if you want something to come showering you affection after a hard day at work you may be disappointed. But I think they are wonderful pets and being litter trained no taking out in the rain for bathroom breaks

This!
    The only thing I'd say is, like all animals, cats have their own personalities. I have had both moggy and pedigree. Moggy was a real cuddle bug, but she was a madame in other ways, scratching things etc. My pedigree never scratched things, excellently well behaved adorable in that he followed me everywhere, but unlike my moggy, wasn't really super affectionate, like didn't like to be picked up or anything, but would sleep on my bed at night, and want to be where I was, always, so he was affectionate in his own way
    OP, good luck with your search, so many lovely cats and kittens needing homes, and I am sure you will do just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

afterglow wrote: »
    This!
    The only thing I'd say is, like all animals, cats have their own personalities. I have had both moggy and pedigree. Moggy was a real cuddle bug, but she was a madame in other ways, scratching things etc. My pedigree never scratched things, excellently well behaved adorable in that he followed me everywhere, but unlike my moggy, wasn't really super affectionate, like didn't like to be picked up or anything, but would sleep on my bed at night, and want to be where I was, always, so he was affectionate in his own way
    OP, good luck with your search, so many lovely cats and kittens needing homes, and I am sure you will do just fine

I agree, and I quoted your post because I have the same situation but inverse. My pedigree cat is always looking for cuddles, but scratches things and is very vocally demanding, while my moggie is very well-behaved, quiet, scratches only his cat furniture, but is more distant - he prefers sleeping next to me, not on me - and only tolerates being held/cuddled because he is so well-behaved. They're funny creatures. You just have to meet them where they are, whether it's a moggie, a rescue or a pedigree.

OSI wrote: »
    Which is it?

15years ago and I helped then get a grant to move to decent accommodation and sort themselves out. No use criticising and doing nothing....everyone in the area knew things were bad there and did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

OP here. Thanks for the advice on thread and through DM.

We adopted this gorgeous little girl from <snip> today

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    OP here. Thanks for the advice on thread and through DM.

We adopted this gorgeous little girl from <snip> today

How is that xmas stocking attched? Because you have a cat now, that they love to climb sh!t:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Aww sooo cute! Congrats I hope she gives you lots of love and just in time to climb the Christmas tree hehehe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

I have 5 cats(4 indoor only), a Siamese, two ragdolls, a rescue and a stray. They are world's apart.
    The Siamese is by far the most affectionate, probably the most dog like cat I've ever had. The ragdolls are twins and tend to do their own thing but like daily cuddles and play with cat toys.
    The rescue is a Maine coon/bsh cross and does not like anybody except me. My wife feeds her and plays with her but as soon as she goes in for the cuddle or rub, she's in defence/fight mode.
    The stray comes and goes as she wants, but would happily attack anyone even at feeding times.
    I got the Siamese and ragdolls from done deal and would happily do the same again. Have a look into the different breeds to see which will suit you best. The rescue and the stray definitely have 'wildness' in them so maybe more difficult with kids and friends etc.

I also have two old English sheepdogs and a cockapoo. Luckily they all love each other, the only issue is with the stray who sometimes stays in a cat house outside.

• Advertisement

Love the way you describe the Siamese; perfect! They are the intelligentsia and athletes of the cat world.

My current five plus one cats are all rescues, but Selkie is clearly a large part Oriental' sounds Siamese.

tedpan wrote: »
    I have 5 cats(4 indoor only), a Siamese, two ragdolls, a rescue and a stray. They are world's apart.
    The Siamese is by far the most affectionate, probably the most dog like cat I've ever had. The ragdolls are twins and tend to do their own thing but like daily cuddles and play with cat toys.
    The rescue is a Maine coon/bsh cross and does not like anybody except me. My wife feeds her and plays with her but as soon as she goes in for the cuddle or rub, she's in defence/fight mode.
    The stray comes and goes as she wants, but would happily attack anyone even at feeding times.
    I got the Siamese and ragdolls from done deal and would happily do the same again. Have a look into the different breeds to see which will suit you best. The rescue and the stray definitely have 'wildness' in them so maybe more difficult with kids and friends etc.

I also have two old English sheepdogs and a cockapoo. Luckily they all love each other, the only issue is with the stray who sometimes stays in a cat house outside.

Advertisement