Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21 days to create or break a habit

Options
  • 08-05-2014 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently I have came across a number of articles about this 21 day rule to create or break a habit. Have you ever heard of this before and if so what do you make of it?

No one is entirely sure where the 21-day rule originates, but it seems to have first been set forth in a book called "Psycho-Cybernetics." It's a self-help book first published in the 1970s, and in it, you find out you can create or break a habit in just 21 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I always look for the evidence, and there doesn't seem to be any.
    Researchers from our department have done a more rigorous and valid study of habit formation (Lally, van Jaarsveld, Potts, & Wardle, 2010). Participants performed a self-chosen health-promoting dietary or activity behaviour (e.g. drinking a glass of water) in response to a once-daily cue (e.g. after breakfast), and gave daily self-reports of how automatic (i.e. habitual) the behaviour felt. Participants were tracked for 84 days. Automaticity typically developed indistinct pattern: initial repetitions of the behaviour led to quite large increases in automaticity, but these increases then reduced in size the more often the behaviour was repeated, until automaticity plateaued. Assumed that the point, at which automaticity is highest, is also the point when the habit has formed, it took, on average, 66 days for the habit to form. (To clarify: that’s March 6th for anyone attempting a New Year’s resolution.)

Interestingly, however, there were quite large differences between individuals in how quickly automaticity reached its peak, although everyone repeated their chosen behaviour daily: for one person it took just 18 days, and another did not get there in the 84 days, but was forecast to do so after as long as 254 days.

But, as anyone who has tried to stop a bad habit, e.g. smoking, will tell you, there does come a time when it is easier, as in it doesn't take as much of an effort or you don't have to think about it so much. So maybe the myth has some impact in helping motivation to bring about changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

So maybe the myth has some impact in helping motivation to bring about changes.
    I think this is the reason there are so many therapies or treatments for psychological problems that have vocal proponents even when faced with a serious lack of evidence for the proposed mechanism of action (eg. NLP). Belief alone can be a strong motivator.

Advertisement