Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Revealed preference" and human sexuality - share your thoughts

Options
  • 02-11-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

So, "revealed preference" is the idea that if you want to find out people's real preferences, you shouldn't pay much heed to what they say; instead, observe their behaviour. For example, someone might say they watch no television whatsover, but in reality they watch a couple of hours of it each day.

It's a disconnect between what people say and what they do, which you can find anywhere and everywhere.

My question is, do any of ye know of studies about revealed preference and human mate choice or sexuality patterns, or ways in which people are either self-deceived about their choices or behaviour (e.g. they don't really know what they find attractive in a partner but they think they do) or that they simply flat out lie about it (e.g. for moral reasons they might pretend in surveys that they've slept with fewer people than they really have).

Any thoughts? Hope the above makes sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Synalon Etuul

Well isn't there that stereotype of girls pretending to be bi to turn the guys on, that may not actually be true, I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

that is true, girls will do that to get guys going, but thats a self esteem thing, they think they on their own cant get a guy hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

You mean i have been discarding all those bi profiles on dating sites when they could actually not be bi at all O.o god dammit lol
    The thought of such greedy people puts me right off!

Im not sure the question or is there one?
    I think what is described is there and on many levels.
    I once lied to a guy in a pub when we were all sitting at a table because he asked me infront of my overweight girlfriend what do i prefer in women body wise.Ofc he said "oh its breasts right?" and ofc i had to say yes because to tell the truth would be to reject my girlfriend.It was not worth mentioning i dont judge on looks alone when looking at a woman for the sake of insulting her weight.I think thats a good example of one way it happens and its on purpose for good reason.Nobody got hurt and a few people thought i was a boobs man. :)

I do also agree unconscious actons can speak louder than words.
    N.L.P teaches how to spot lies like this,i dont know about psychology as i havent seen body language covered in much that i have read yet.

When it comes to homosexuality i would guess its very likely alot delude themselves because of the social stigma with many still from being different.I have heard a story of a guy i was talking to online who when drunk was rubbing up against a good looking friend(and roomate)who he envies, when he got really drunk(supposedly to wind him up),but when he rants about his issues women seem to be prominant and ussully in an aggressive manor.
    I can imagine but dont contend that it could be latent homosexuality with a delusion that they are straight because they are already terrified of their already low social status as it is and in that situation maybe envying his friend could be a sign that he wishes to be him and his sexuality seeks the "perfect male" to feed off if that makes any sense.I need to research that subject sometime.
    So even if all that is the case as i stated it,i would not be sure where in the brain responsible for this confabulation for want of a better word.
    But id love to hear more ideas and thougths on it!

Advertisement