Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11:11

• 05-03-2014 7:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Not sure im in the right place for this but just wondering whats is the significance of seeing this number ALOT - Also I see 22:22, 3:33 4:44 and the reason I post is a few mins ago I look at my phone and its 5:55

I have heard of people attaching meaning to seeing these patterns regularly, but im also curious that if I saw it a few times and subconsciously programmed myself to look at my watch/phone at these times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

ardinn wrote: »
    Not sure im in the right place for this but just wondering whats is the significance of seeing this number ALOT - Also I see 22:22, 3:33 4:44 and the reason I post is a few mins ago I look at my phone and its 5:55

I have heard of people attaching meaning to seeing these patterns regularly, but im also curious that if I saw it a few times and subconsciously programmed myself to look at my watch/phone at these times.
    Possibly you have programmed yourself.

But possibly also you have just sensitised yourself to notice, register and remember when you happen to see such combinations, and to disregard other occasions when you see less remarkable combinations. This would create an impression in your mind that you are seeing such combinations more often than a randomness would suggest, when that many not in fact be the case.

There's at least one such combination every hour of the day and night - more, if you regard combinations like "12:34", "12:12" or "12:21" as similarly remarkable. So seeing them is not in itself unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have been freaked out by 11:11 for years, I rarely look at my watch but each day and night I did it was exactly at 11:11, never notice at other times. No I don't wear a watch, I know my phone an pc still have the time but its one less weird thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Google the Confirmation Bias - in fact there are lots of cognitive biases.

Ask anyone who has bought a new car: suddenly there are lots of that make of car all over the place. Ask anyone who has just had pregnancy confirmed: suddenly the streets are full of pregnant women and small babies. Where were they all before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,599 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Google the Confirmation Bias - in fact there are lots of cognitive biases.

Ask anyone who has bought a new car: suddenly there are lots of that make of car all over the place. Ask anyone who has just had pregnancy confirmed: suddenly the streets are full of pregnant women and small babies. Where were they all before?

Exactly. If you're tuned into something, you start notice it while before it would have just been background noise 99.9% of which is ignored by the conscious part of your brain (Kahnamen's system 2)

Have you ever been in a room full of strangers talking to each other. (a pub or restaurant or train station etc) All you can hear is Chatter Chatter Chatter until someone mentions your name (not even talking about you, just a name the same as yours)

Then you hear chatter chatter chatter chatter DAVID chatter chatter chatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

I Happened to click onto this post in spirituality (it's closed) and noticed it was 2:22, I'v not only been seeing 1;11 2;22 3;33 consistently for years but also not a day goes by without hearing the exact word that I'm either reading or writing spoken at the exact moment that I'm reading or writing it, this happens more then once or twice a day for years, there is always a tv or radio on in the background.

I believe there is a spiritual meaning or reason for this life and that everything is 'guided' by spirit, and these 'coincidences' are either your spirit guides trying to get your attention (and it seems to be working) or when they have your attention they keep reminding you not to forget the 'bigger picture' or spiritual side of life.

Happy Every Day
    P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I Happened to click onto this post in spirituality (it's closed) and noticed it was 2:22, I'v not only been seeing 1;11 2;22 3;33 consistently for years but also not a day goes by without hearing the exact word that I'm either reading or writing spoken at the exact moment that I'm reading or writing it, this happens more then once or twice a day for years, there is always a tv or radio on in the background.

I believe there is a spiritual meaning or reason for this life and that everything is 'guided' by spirit, and these 'coincidences' are either your spirit guides trying to get your attention (and it seems to be working) or when they have your attention they keep reminding you not to forget the 'bigger picture' or spiritual side of life.

Happy Every Day
    P

Yeah i was hoping it would be left open in spirituality, but wanted to post here too. Two differing opinions if you will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

what has number combinations got to do with spirituality?

what has number combinations got to do with spirituality?

Some people believe they are messages, I have read up on some sites that many believe they are good signs, such as you are in the right place in life, others say its a message from spirits to take note and take action in your life.

The point was to get the psychology of it, and also the belief side of things!

"Messages from the spirits" stuff might get a better hearing in the Paranormal forums rather than the Spirituality forums.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    "Messages from the spirits" stuff might get a better hearing in the Paranormal forums rather than the Spirituality forums.

See angelmans post above!!

• Advertisement

Yes. But my point is that you would have a better chance of getting more responses in that vein in "Paranormal" than you would in "Spirituality"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have experienced it since I was a young teen, always 11:11 never any other combo, 2:22, 3:33 etc. I have never looked it up so I am not sure how it is like a car reg theory being thrown out, it has been going on many years and never any other numbers. I was on posting in the triathlon thread and spotted this one on the front page and thought "I am not alone!!"

The spiritual stuff I just don't believe. Its just weird, barely think about it now.

Yes. But my point is that you would have a better chance of getting more responses in that vein in "Paranormal" than you would in "Spirituality"

Maybe! I associate paranormal with ufo's and bigfoot more, Most of my research throws up spiritual relations, not so much paranormal ones.

Same vein, but different.

In my opinion!

There is a bit of an overlap in terminology. The spiritualist movement, for example, was largely concerned with seances and ectoplasm and mediums and messages from beyond the grave and so forth, which most of us would put fimly in the paranormal camp. Yet they claimed the name "Spiritualists".

But, generally, spirituality (as opposed to spiritualism) has to do not with "the spirits", meaning transcendant beings, angels, the souls of the dead, etc but with a concern for spiritual values, as opposed to worldly or material values.

There is a bit of an overlap in terminology. The spiritualist movement, for example, was largely concerned with seances and ectoplasm and mediums and messages from beyond the grave and so forth, which most of us would put fimly in the paranormal camp. Yet they claimed the name "Spiritualists".

But, generally, spirituality (as opposed to spiritualism) has to do not with "the spirits", meaning transcendant beings, angels, the souls of the dead, etc but with a concern for spiritual values, as opposed to worldly or material values.

You are right, in a way, and we are getting way off the topic here but spiritual values stem from the beliefs of that person, as you say, spiritualist movement = angels etc, spirituality = their beliefs, which in catholic terms would suggest angels, and the dead and so forth! Roundabout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 alant7

And I just pressed the light button on my watch 6:16:16.. very strange indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,599 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ardinn wrote: »
    Some people believe they are messages, I have read up on some sites that many believe they are good signs, such as you are in the right place in life, others say its a message from spirits to take note and take action in your life.

The point was to get the psychology of it, and also the belief side of things!
    That sounds like a pretty horrible way to communicate TBH.

Excessive pattern finding is a symptom of mental illness. For example, John Nash (A Beautiful Mind was based on him) was driven mad from seeing too many patterns everywhere where there was only random noise.

Numerology is a load of rubbish. If you want to find the meaning behind numbers, you need to study mathamatics and physics and discover the true meaning behind structural mathamatics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What on earth?? I go to sleep for the night and find the psychology forum has been taken over! Please take your unscientific clap-trap elsewhere. JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement