Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bord gais meter

Options
  • 15-03-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this will be of use to anyone but, at the min bord gais r putting in prepay meters free of charge. For home owners and council tennants with permision from the coco.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

danois wrote: »
    Not sure if this will be of use to anyone but, at the min bord gais r putting in prepay meters free of charge. For home owners and council tennants with permision from the coco.

Hi Danois,

Where did you see that?

Thanks

Pele

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Only problem with them is if you want to get rid of them, they charge quite a bit. My dad bought an ex co.co. house about 8 years ago & there's a meter for both electricity & gas in it. He got rid of the one for electricity but I think to remove the gas one the charge was something ridiculous like €200. He still has it & regularly runs out of gas as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

How do the prepay meters work? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

How do the prepay meters work? :/

You get a card and top it up at the post office. Then slot the card into the meter. The euro balance in displayed on the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

I rang them today to ask for one and they told me its free at the min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

those meters are great, really handy for keeping track of your spending, and if you run out you get 5 euro emergency credit, sort of like an Iou. It's impossible to run out if you actually keep track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Do they charge extra for the actual gas (what I mean is I'm on bill pay at the moment so would the gas by meter be charged at a different rate than the gas I'm getting at the moment).

Also where do they put the actual yokey that you put the "card reading" into - is it outside in the actual white box or do they install it somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

I could be wrong but as far as i know the gas is the smae price unless you are in arrears then they take a set amount out of each top up to pay that back. the card is put in to a meter that is outside not sure if they can put them inside. hth

Im planning on topping up regularly even in the summer so i have a built up amount of credit on it by winter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Any good with airtricty? Just switched over :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

dave1982 wrote: »
    Any good with airtricty? Just switched over :rolleyes:

nope. airtricity don't do either gas or leccy meters. really peeves off the reps that come round my door singing their spiel and are SOOOO certain that i'd do better on airtricity. then i say but i wouldn't cos yall don't do meters and i have both for gas and leccy. should see their faces. they know there is no point in going any further :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

since bord gais deal with their meters and esb theirs, on the behalf of airtricity, is the service not provided under the terms of the contracts, seems unfair competition is back in the markets otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mmcd98

I just organised this for a family friend. The unit price for gas is exactly the same as bill pay. If you have an outstanding balance when the meter is installed then this is paid off by Bord Gais taking 25% of each top-up you make to the card until the balance is fully paid. The min amount you can put on the card is €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Bord Gais statement from September last year
    “We have recently made changes in relation to our Policy on Pre Payment Meters (PPM)and cases of hardship for our Gas Customers. Our frontline staff can now offer a PPM to customers who cannot make a payment arrangement to repay debt within a 10 week period or where a customer has difficulty in paying a security deposit. An initial payment of 10% of the balance due will be required and the remainder will be recovered through the meter at the rate of 25% of the value of gas purchased. This arrangement will also apply to customers who have been disconnected for non payment. If they cannot make the full payment of arrears we will accept 10% of the balance due and fit a PPM free of charge. Please note that in private rented accommodation the permission of the Landlord will be required prior to installing a PPM. Where a PPM is not a viable solution we will be referring the customer to the MABS service as heretofore.

since bord gais deal with their meters and esb theirs, on the behalf of airtricity, is the service not provided under the terms of the contracts, seems unfair competition is back in the markets otherwise?

esb and bord gais will go and service the normal meters for airtricity. but the prepayment meters are a different story. you need a card specifically issued from esb or bord gais to go into a shop and get the credit necessary for the meters. so you would be paying them for your gas or elec and not airtricity. there is no way to transfer them to airtricity so until they come up with their own prepayment meters (which can't be too long considering the abundance of people who have them - and therefore all the custom they are losing) they will continue to be losing out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I'd be wary of signing up for a 'free' meter - Bord Gais are hardly doing this for the good of their customers. You'll be effectively tied to BG as a supplier unless you pay for an expensive uninstall, and the unit rates are as before. I actually thought there was no standing charge with these prepay meters but according to the FAQ there is.

I have one at home (private, not CoCo) and it's a bit of a pain, with the gas inevitably running out just when you need it. You can probably budget just as well with a standard meter. The only advantage I can see if for landlords, where tenants might mess about with bill payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

hdowney wrote: »
    nope. airtricity don't do either gas or leccy meters. really peeves off the reps that come round my door singing their spiel and are SOOOO certain that i'd do better on airtricity. then i say but i wouldn't cos yall don't do meters and i have both for gas and leccy. should see their faces. they know there is no point in going any further :)

No, I think that was the shock at meeting someone from Texas :)

hehe i like that. would b nice to b from texas. one too many texas mates methinks.

i think the meter is ideal for ppl who fell into arrears to get back on their feet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I get my electricity from Bord Gais Also, Can they fit a prepay meter for both Gas and Electricity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ronan45 wrote: »
    I get my electricity from Bord Gais Also, Can they fit a prepay meter for both Gas and Electricity?

Bord gais cant do anything with your electricity meter as esb networks own it. It will have to be them to install a prepayment meter

• Advertisement
Advertisement