Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I try a freestanding fridge instead of integrated one?

Options
  • 04-12-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I'm moving next week and I'm not sure if I should get an integrated fridge or try to put a freestanding one?

What do yous think?

20191107-115310.jpg
    20191203-140110.jpg

I haven't measured properly yet. I know the width fits, not about the height. Also I know a freestanding is deeper than a integrated fridge.

Not sure if I should remove or not the little piece of wood and fit the freestanding directly on the floor...

Have you ever had a similar problem?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Surely that kitchen was built to take an integrated fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭albernazj93

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Surely that kitchen was built to take an integrated fridge.

Yeah, I was thinking on removing the doors and fitting the fridge in there like in the attachment (I know my editing skills suck)

Not sure if it would look nice or better just going with an integrated one... :confused:

Get the integrated one.

Get the integrated one.

Why would you suggest that?

Would not a normal fridge work in a integrated space?
    I mean, because of ventilation of something similar

I’m saying integrated because it will look way better and you already have the doors up.
    You will need to add a vent to the kick board, usually there’s space behind the upper cabinet for the air flow.

Otherwise you’re sitting the fridge over the kick board which looks messy and will conflict visually with the oven beside it.

At this stage I’d be looking at an integrated microwave too above the oven as they’re brilliant for saving worktop space, plus microwaves are like a magnet for clutter.

• Advertisement

Oops, just spotted your microwave thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭the14thwarrior

really depends on your fridge needs and visual / need to look streamlined.
    integrated will look nicer.
    they are smaller.
    if your fridge needs are high, don't bother, get a kick ass bigger one.

free standing are quite bigger, with more options internally and you have better choices.
    you will probably have to take out the kickboard out.

and don't put a microwave on top of the oven.
    accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Integrated are a thing of the past in all the new builds im involved with.
    Its generally 900 wide american style fridges going.
    In your situation, id get the kitchen adjusted if possible to get rid of integrated setup.
    I look to install integrated dish washer but yours is possibly setup for non integrated.

But the fridge is up against the wall.. it’s a bit late to redesign the kitchen just because there’s a new fad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He doesn't have to go full American style but he could get a narrower free standing if it fits without too much alteration.
    You can get them for 600 opening.
    There is also abit of a filler piece against the wall there if space was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Yeah, I was thinking on removing the doors and fitting the fridge in there like in the attachment (I know my editing skills suck)

Not sure if it would look nice or better just going with an integrated one... :confused:

that cabinet is made for an integrated 60/40 unit, the unit will only be 550 wide, 600 wide will not fit. Also if you put a 550 wide free standing in there it will tend to move around as you cannot anchor it like the integrated cabinet

Plus there will be a big gap above the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’m saying integrated because it will look way better and you already have the doors up.
    You will need to add a vent to the kick board, usually there’s space behind the upper cabinet for the air flow.

Otherwise you’re sitting the fridge over the kick board which looks messy and will conflict visually with the oven beside it.

At this stage I’d be looking at an integrated microwave too above the oven as they’re brilliant for saving worktop space, plus microwaves are like a magnet for clutter.

I'll modify Colm's suggestion. Personally, I think integrated frdges are useless - the compromise in capacity is too much whn balanced against the visual enhancement. THe integrated microwave idea is a good one but with the current layout, it would be placed too high. So...

Go back to builder or kitchen company and ask them to replace the double unit with a single oven stack including space for integrated oven/microwave at usable heights. Place the freestanding fridge to the left with left hanging doors. Measure carefully make sure you get the best one. Ask the builder/kitchen company if they can extend the pelmet across the fridge with an end piece so the visual impact is maximised. Best of both worlds.

I think those units aren’t as tall as they’d look at first glance. Compare top of fridge and top of microwave. I installed a microwave at the that height and there are no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think those units aren’t as tall as they’d look at first glance. Compare top of fridge and top of microwave. I installed a microwave at the that height and there are no issues.

Gauging it from the ceiling, I would worry from a safety perspective. Minimum ceiling height is about 2.5m and I would guess less than 30cm from ceiling to top of cabinet based on that photo (realistically I’d say about 20cm). Cabinet is maybe 60 deep. I’m 6’5” so it wouldn’t bother me but I woukdn’t like the risk of someone of more average height taking a bowl of boiling water (think veg steamer) out of a microwave at that height safely. Nasty burns might ensue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Integrated fridge. Trying to butcher the integrated fridge housing to turn it into some sort of open fridge housing won't look great.

For the oven stack, 600h single oven and a 390/450h integrated microwave above. New door for the top of the oven stack. In this config microwave will be at 1320h which is below shoulder level for most people (1320h = 150plinth, 2 x 285 drawers and 600 oven).

Talk to the builder to ask about alterations. Don't be surprised when they say no, or the kitchen company gives you a price that makes your eyes water.

Would the kickboard retained under the sink suggest provision for an integrated dishwasher?

Would the kickboard retained under the sink suggest provision for an integrated dishwasher?

That and the 715 x 595 door that's stashed in the fridge housing would suggest there's the idea of integrating something.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's the big gap beside the 3 drawers for?

Ventilation for when homeowner crams a non-integrated fridge into a cupboard :D

Non smart-ass answer:

I was wondering that myself, trying to workout if that's a water pipe that magically vanished between photo .1 and photo 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

awec wrote: »
    What's the big gap beside the 3 drawers for?

If i had to guess, washing machine maybe

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Vegeta wrote: »
    If i had to guess, washing machine maybe

It looks too small?

Also don't see any plumbing or waste pipe, nor any socket to plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

awec wrote: »
    It looks too small?

Also don't see any plumbing or waste pipe, nor any socket to plug it in.
    Nah it's 600mm alright. Plumbing and sockets could be under the other units - waste might go outside beside the fridge rather than out with the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Only thing about integrated fridges I found the wooden door and fridge brackets would forever be becoming loose. Yes probably from abuse and people reefing the fridge doors. I do like the aesthetics of integrated but I got a nice black gloss Yank fridge that actually looks quite nice. I wouldnt like looking at a big white Beko fridge in my kitchen. If it looks stylish im cool with it:cool:

Hahaha I got a Beko as it will be hidden :D

Thanks for the answers guys. I ended up buying an integrated. The integrated ended up being more expensive than the Samsung free standing I wanted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Hahaha I got a Beko as it will be hidden :D

Thanks for the answers guys. I ended up buying an integrated. The integrated ended up being more expensive than the Samsung free standing I wanted :(

I allways found that bizarre how an integrated fridge was more expensive then free standing

Advertisement