Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal practice for vets in Ireland?

Options
  • 15-11-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

We recently took our dog to our long-standing vet to have a limp in her leg diagnosed. After a round of X-rays the following week, the vet told us our pet would require surgery (he didn't specify what type) as one of the joints in one of her rear legs was larger than the other.

Having struggled to get hold of the vet to confirm arrangements, he eventually called us back last Friday evening and told us he would text us arrangements to bring the dog in for surgery (type again unspecified) on the Sunday morning.

When no text arrived, I chased him up and was told to bring the dog to a public location in the next town for him to collect. While my wife and I were experiencing growing misgivings about the wisdom of proceedings, the dog had not eaten in readiness for her surgery since midnight on Sat so we took her along.

Given that we had been asked to take the dog to a different town, were naturally anxious to find out who would be operating on our pet and at what surgery. Dissatisfied with the vet's answers to these perfectly reasonable questions, we asked him to call the owner of the practice where we had initially brought the dog for treatment to confirm that everything was OK. When he didn't do so, we refused to proceed with our pet's surgery and took her home.

When I spoke to the temporary receptionist at the surgery the next day, she laughed dismissively and told me any disputes were between the vet and myself.

What I need to know is if these kind of practices are normal in Irish veterinary surgeries?

When I wrote to them with my complaint and told them I would be taking our dog and two cats elsewhere for treatment, the senior staff at the surgery didn't seem to be that bothered. While they did give me some records back, they have never bothered to tell me the precise nature of the surgery my dog needed

While my natural inclination is to let the matter drop, am not sure whehter they will pull this stunt with someone else's pet(s).

Anyone here think I should take the issue further? If so, who should I contact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

That sounds bizarre. Have you contacted the practice owner -as if a vet in their practice is running a potentially dodgy sideline - they would like to know. Likewise, if it is above board they would be able to clarify why the change in location etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Sounds very suspect alright. Sounds like he was going to do it as a nixer. This person shouldn't be practicing if they think it is OK to carry on like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

I've never heard of that before op. Doesn't sound right. I'd run for the hills and find a different vet for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Unusual for a non emergency surgery to be scheduled on a Sunday not to mention other things. I would follow it up and give info to veterinary council Ireland and speak to the owner of the practice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

The people running the practice used to be really fantastic and I had no hesitation in recommending their service to others in search of a vet.

Now they don't seem to give a sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Yeah, not good enough from them John. Try someone else who'll care about your pooch and forget about them.

Has anybody ever complained to the veterinary council? Currently reluctant to do so as am worried about getting blackballed by other practices. Not sure about here in Ireland, but doctors in the UK stick together like **** on fur

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I actually heard a strange comment on the sen moncrieff show about a struck off vet who is practicing in Munster so the veterinary council are active. he is running a rescue centre and doing calls even though hes struck off . A small letter advising the council to check out this practice is prudent in case some poor person gets similiar treatment and loses their pet through negligence meanwhile go to a more reputable where in ireland are you ? I know of great vets in limerick & galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I actually heard a strange comment on the sen moncrieff show about a struck off vet who is practicing in Munster so the veterinary council are active. he is running a rescue centre and doing calls even though hes struck off . A small letter advising the council to check out this practice is prudent in case some poor person gets similiar treatment and loses their pet through negligence meanwhile go to a more reputable where in ireland are you ? I know of great vets in limerick & galway

I heard this too and also thought of this thread :( It's deffo worth reporting them OP.

• Advertisement

Cheers all. Will be sending off the letter either tomorrow or early next week

Vet is in roscommon, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

hkjohn wrote: »
    Cheers all. Will be sending off the letter either tomorrow or early next week

Vet is in roscommon, btw.

Well done

How is the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I know one VET practise in Co. Roscommon which moves animals to its other location in Co. Galway for surgery as they don't have the facilities at both locations. Things like that are easily explained however and in your case it just sounds odd.

pawrick wrote: »

I know one VET practise in Co. Roscommon which moves animals to its other location in Co. Galway for surgery as they don't have the facilities at both locations. Things like that are easily explained however and in your case it just sounds odd.

Perfectly understand your point re practices not having the resources and so needing to move pets to other bigger and better-equipped surgeries in larger towns/cities.

My problem was that, rather than drop our pet at the surgery where we took her for treatment (and whose praises we had long sung), we were asked to take her to a car park and pay E400 for surgery the recenhtly appointed vet at the practice either could not or would not specify.

Even more suspiciously, he would not act on our request that he call his practice's owner for confirmation that everything was above board.

Worst of all, aside from giving us the X-rays we had paid for (and subsequently had to be redone by another vet), the practice and its owner has repeatedly failed to respond to our repeated perfectly resaonable (and politely worded) requests for an explanation.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Well done

How is the dog?

Dog is currently fine - she is taking anti-inflamatories, a Hills Joint Disease-dominated diet with little exercise and will need to go back to our new (an much more professional) vet early in the new year. FIngers (and paws!) crossed!

Advertisement