Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social work, voluntary, part-time, courses and career.

Options
  • 04-09-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I am at a bit of a dead end workwise.
    I have a job, but it's just a job, put it that way.
    But I'm thinking of getting into something a bit more challenging, and rewarding!!!!!!

So I have been thinking about social work.

Does anyone have ANY INFO how I can enter this line of work, perhaps voluntary, part time, or even a course i can do, with a view to perhaps building a career in it.
    Also, how is this vocation in regards to career, promotion, reccession, pension.

Much appreciated.
    Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

i know the some PLC colleges do two year courses on this, you may be able to do part time, that would be a start. BCFE is the one in Ballyfermot, check it out and i'm sure they would advise on all your career quiestions.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

hey, I returned to college and went to ucc to study, but it depends what type of work do you want to get into, hands on, back room staff, developmental etc? I think a good place to start is to volunteer some where or at least call in and speak to people working in the areas you fancy working in. Talk to them about types of jobs and places to study.

Warning though, many people get into this kinda work cos they want to 'help people' but arn't actually any good at it?!?!?, this is a lead factor in burn out, which in turn leads to some of the not so great services on offer in Ireland and else where...:mad:
    If you want to do this for a living remember its like a friendship you will get something out of it but you do have to put something into it too, its a tough line of work but if it suits... wow what a way to spend your life:D

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 riggsmurtagh

I know a lot of people involved in social work and they have said they find it the most rewarding experience.

For volunteering try volunteer.ie, watch out though as some of the jobs have been there a while, but they have a great database with all the different types of areas you want to volunteer in.

Also one of my friends did social science in Blanch I.T, says it was ana excellent course.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

hey there,

just letting you know i saw your post over in the disability forum on this and posted details there. The only way to work as a social worker in Ireland is to do either a degree or a masters, either way you'll need to go back to college.

Anywho, no point in repeating myself, so I won't! Hope the info I posted over there helps, and good luck!

Zo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1looney

hey,

In order to work as a qualified social worker (starting salary 44,700euro+/yr) you need to do a course that results in you having the NQSW. That means either degree in trinity (maybe new one in Galway too) or doing a degree followed by a masters in UCD or UCC.... that's four or five years studying full time with unpaid work experience.

So you really should look into whether it is something you really want to do... the impression of it being a type of occupation where you help people and experience huge amounts of job satisfaction aren't always accurate.

people don't always want to work with you, you don't always have time or resources to give people what they need... and that will more than likely get worse with the current economic situation.

So it kinda suits people who are flexible, hardworking, efficient and good at report writing etc... and also care about people and their problems. But caring alone makes it a frustrating job and may result in a person not being very good at their job!!

Trinity accept around 10-12 mature students on their undergraduate programme (degree which also results in NQSW).

And just remember social care & social science are not social work... so if your end goal is to work in social work then you could be wasting your time doing part-time courses etc as you will have to go back to college full-time in the end.
    However, doing work experience with the homeless, barnardos or organisations like them are worthwhile before you decide!

Hope that helps and best of luck!!

• Advertisement

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi All.

Also, how is this vocation in regards to career, promotion, reccession, pension.

Sorry, I forgot the end of your question...

generally social workers start as basic grade social workers and then are eligible for senior posts once they are approximately 3yrs post qualification.
    This could be senior social worker or senior social work practicioner. Seniors generally make more decisions, take more responsibility and they get paid more obviously.
    Principal social workers are higher again and generally are in charge of particular regions with a team under them.

Social workers are generally employed by the HSE or other bodies funded by the HSE with the same or similar terms and conditions re holidays and pension rights and mileage etc (if you search the web you will get salary scales for all these grades)

It was typically a good job to be in as it was permenent and pensionable, but with the embargo etc permanent jobs are harder to come by, but same can be said for the private sector obviously

Also, some social workers work in occupational social work (eg in the central bank or other big organisations) doing counselling etc re mental health/addiction issues or anything that impact upon a person's ability to work which really is the only opportunity for private sector work...

hope this is what you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm currently on a masters course, and trust me, it's tough tough work. Espcecially in terms of the academic side of things. There are 25 hours a week in class lectures, and I have ten essays, varying from 1500-3000 words, 5 presenatations (one solo, four group) and have to complete summaries of readings. Squash all that into september-end november.

Kicked out into the real world for most of next year but back in again for class in 2010. and the thesis.

You really have to be commited, and prove you want this course over everyone else who interviews. Have a variety of experience, paid and voluntary, and with the masters I suggest you take some time out after the undergrad. The youngest in my class is 23, average age 26.

You need a degree for the masters, but if you havent got the degree get one! in social work, social care or studies, as the latter two will elevate you to a masters in SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 catmcginty1

Hi, you all have given some great info! Im finishing a Social Science (BSocSC) degree this year and want to go into the Masters in Social Work, in any of the four universities that do it! As I have no experience of working in this type of setting I know i will have to take a year out. Does anyone know what type of experience would be best, and as it would be for the year would paid experience be possible?? Theres no career guidence in NUIM @ the moment, so dont really know what direction to take after I finish my degree! Thanks

Hi, you all have given some great info! Im finishing a Social Science (BSocSC) degree this year and want to go into the Masters in Social Work, in any of the four universities that do it! As I have no experience of working in this type of setting I know i will have to take a year out. Does anyone know what type of experience would be best, and as it would be for the year would paid experience be possible?? Theres no career guidence in NUIM @ the moment, so dont really know what direction to take after I finish my degree! Thanks

I know focus ireland offer community service volunteer (CSV) spaces.
    Basically, you get paid half time, and volunteer the other half. It is good experience if you can get it.. and many end up in social work. it is for a fixed period (one year) and as far as i know, it is built to slot into the academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Following on from the above answers which are all good I'll add that there's a myriad of positions to go for once you gain a social work qualification. You can work in so many different agencies and areas ie hospitals, elder care, childcare, child protection, addiction services, intellectual disability services, fostering agencies, schools & education services, behavioural treatment centers, counselling/therapeutic services & on & on!
    Yes things are difficult at the moment in Ireland due to the embargo but there will always be social issues so the need for social workers & social care workers (2 different disciplines on the same team) will always exist. The big plus is that you can be employed anywhere in the world.
    As already stated, salaries are good as are pensions & flexibility but it is a job that requires utter dedication and a lot of your time, it is challenging and very difficult at times, you will be overloaded with cases & question the system.
    Have you considered social care? Many social work departments need more diciplines than the NSWQ team members, positions such as project workers, family support workers, childcare workers/childcare leaders, residential care staff (all holders of the BA in Applied Social Studies (Social Care). These positions give you more hands on work with children and families, which in today's unfortunate climate, social workers do not have the time to spend with their caseloads, the employees with the social care degree are the ones who are active with the families/children on a regular basis.
    I'd recommend looking at the BA in applied Social Studies (Social Care) it's run in many Institutes of Technology and is very achievable, the degree you get is now the only one recognised in Ireland by the HSE.
    Go along to some open days/evenings in colleges and see what they have to offer for you. also, start to do some volunteer work, dig deep because the more challenging your volunteer experience is, the better for your C.V.
    Good luck! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

CATMCGINTY: send an applicaton to every community care department you can find, offer locum work for the year in areas such as project work, family support or access work (child protection) it is paid and excellent for your C.V. & thesis! Experience with challenging behaviour is always a plus on the old c.v too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 EGGCUP

Thanks for the info Ladypennyworth - i will be starting the MSW in Galway in September - do you have any golden rules or advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sunshine22

hi. could anybody give me a few tips on the admission process for social work? im interested in doing the ma social work in galway but im wondering if i should try cork and dub aswell as i heard they are easier to get into and also that the workload is lighter than in galway.is this true?
    i have a degree in social care and work exp etc but wonder what is it that would set me apart from the rest of the people applying who also meet this criteria?
    what is the interview proceedure? group, individual... and what kind of questions do they ask?
    any additional pointers or info would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Hi, I am doing the MSW in galway at the moment! i can give you my num if you want to give me a quick call about it. might be some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sunshine22

ya that would be great, thanks. could you send me your phone number in a private message?

i have been messing around trying to find the private messages! and if this is not it!! could you please leave a message how to do it and i will send my num! Thanks a mil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SAMMY6269

hi i have an interview for the Masters in Social Work course in galway next Friday. Im 21 and i havnt got much practical experience so i think i really need to have a good interview!!!
    i would be really greatful if any body cud give me any pointers on what to expect or how to prepare. because at the moment im a bit lost??

hi! i am in first year of the course at the moment - we have a few students around your age with a bit of experience in our class and the fact that you are getting an interview means they are interested anyway! i am in chicago but i have skype and can ring you on-line or at a landline number if you want tomorrow or sun... itd be between 5 and 7ish your time as we are 6 hours behind . whatever you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hi Eggcup! How's Chicago! :D

Message sent to Sammy, wishing him/her all the best! Eggcup might remember some of the questions they asked last year, I'm a bit flighty...

LP xo

goin good LP! not too cold! Eggcups brain a bit frazzled too after last term!!! hope research going well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Detanon

Hi I'm a student in 4th year and I'm looking for a place to do my care week in preferably around Rathfarnham/D14 at the end on March.
    The placement needs me to be with people who need care in our society so can anyone suggest a place for me to go to?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

Was just browsing these pages as am interested in doing a course in this area. I have LOADS of experience working with ppl with disabilities and young children and teenagers so I now want to further it. Was just looking to apply for a social care 4yr course but closing date was 1Feb 11, which means it ll be next Jan 2012 I can apply but if I were to start that sept Id be 29!!! I wouldnt be finished course til I was 33!!! My friend left her job after 5 yrs and just went back to college full time in Sept, and shes 28 but now it looks like Ill be 2 yrs behind!!!
    Has any one any advice on what to do?? If closing date is Feb 2011 is there any way of puttin in late app? Is 29 too old for college and if not does it mean if I want to have kids in the nxt few yrs Ill have to put it off?? I also dnt want to go back to college, love what I do, finally get my career going then have to leave my job to have kids!!! God I sound really old now!!! Its just crazy how you put things off for so long then you realise its ten yrs later after your yr out and you still have not done it!!!:(

Hi! regarding going back to college..and the closing date of Feb, it would be no harm to ring the college maybe anyway in case they have any late application system..

If you want to leave an email address or phone number i can mail you or give you a call regarding the other bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

Yea thatd be great Ill send you private msg with email if can find how to send private msg!!At this stage have my heart set on applying Jan 2012 for the course still confused bout everything else!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Christinalit

EGGCUP wrote: »
    Hi, I am doing the MSW in galway at the moment! i can give you my num if you want to give me a quick call about it. might be some help.
    hey, am really sorry, just came across this thread! i have an interview for the msw in galway this friday! if you could give me any hints or advice on what they are looking for I would really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mamatee12

<mod edit>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Sorry mamatee12 this is the volunteerism forum. I know this thread has encompassed related elements but there is a limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 philofarrelly

Hi all. I am currently studying for my undergraduate degree in Social sciences. I work in the homeless area, and am strongly considering Social work as a career. I found this Link, which might suit me or other people here. you need a degree to be eligible, but get paid while you train.

https://thinkahead.org/about-the-programme/who-were-looking-for/

Advertisement