Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Mary + Rainbows = Prison

Options
  • 15-05-2019 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭

Well this is somewhat disturbing...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-48257706
    The Polish civil rights activist who put up images of the Virgin Mary with a rainbow halo said she did so to protest against what she calls the "exclusion of LGBT people from society" by the country's Catholic Church.

The images were placed around the city of Plock late last month by Elzbieta Podlesna, in reaction to an Easter display there featuring slogans about crimes or sins.

Listed among the sins were "gender" and "LGBT"

She was then taken to Plock for questioning and was charged with offending religious feelings - a crime in Poland, punishable by up to two years in prison.

In a tweet, Poland's Interior Minister Joachim Brudzinski applauded the police's actions, writing: "All that nonsense about freedom and 'tolerance' does not give ANYONE the right to insult the feelings of the faithful".

Given how invested some in this forum claim to be when it comes to free speech, I was surprised to not see a thread on it. To see this happening in Europe in this day and age is not something I would have expected, and would appear quite a worrying sign that some parts of the continent are going backwards at quite a rapid rate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Billy86 wrote: »

some parts of the continent are going backwards at quite a rapid rate.

It’s a matter of perspective really, isn’t it?

I’m not a defender of the concept of free speech being the freedom to say whatever you like, whenever you like, about whoever you like. Freedom of expression even in Ireland has it’s limits. In Poland it appears they tend to take the right to freedom of expression seriously enough that nobody is free to act the cnut no matter how vehemently they disagree with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Loads of EU States still have blasphemy laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's the old chestnut of one person's free speech offending another's beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Given how invested some in this forum claim to be when it comes to free speech, I was surprised to not see a thread on it. To see this happening in Europe in this day and age is not something I would have expected, and would appear quite a worrying sign that some parts of the continent are going backwards at quite a rapid rate.

Them liberals, at it again. Booting a guy off twitter for threatening and slandering people.

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

You can't force your own agenda on to some elses deeply held beliefs and expect no blowback.

You can't photoshop a poster to attempt to rewrite tradition, history and religion to suit your own selfish needs. You don't see any big multinationals using Jesus to sell their products.

• Advertisement

If one wishes to accept that that such an intervention is an appropriate pursuit of the law, then obviously you must apply it to other, proportional constraints on free speech -- for example, prohibiting certain speakers from appearing at events on University campuses, or preventing the sale of literary material that is intended to stir-up hatred, or to demonise particular minorities, such as travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

If they are her pics she can do as she pleases (if I was in charge).
    Free Speech is free speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Loads of EU States still have blasphemy laws.

For a victimless crime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I'm listening to the Jesus and Mary chain in my underpants just in case anybody is wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

some parts of the continent are going backwards at quite a rapid rate.

It’s a matter of perspective really, isn’t it?

I’m not a defender of the concept of free speech being the freedom to say whatever you like, whenever you like, about whoever you like. Freedom of expression even in Ireland has it’s limits. In Poland it appears they tend to take the right to freedom of expression seriously enough that nobody is free to act the cnut no matter how vehemently they disagree with someone else.
    It is, and I am generally not a fan of unfettered free speech for all either. But at the same time, I do not agree that putting a rainbow around an image of someone's head should have you imprisoned. It is pretty similar to the ludicrous idea of imprisoning people (or worse) for depicting Muhammad in some Muslim countries, and frankly I would rather European nations not aspire to that.

Had they been burning images or effigy of her, then I would understand more.

• Advertisement

If one wishes to accept that that such an intervention is an appropriate pursuit of the law, then obviously you must apply it to other, proportional constraints on free speech -- for example, prohibiting certain speakers from appearing at events on University campuses, or preventing the sale of literary material that is intended to stir-up hatred, or to demonise particular minorities, such as travellers.

Or the use of social media to prohibit expert speakers from discussing their scientific opinions...

See the AH thread on "Woman Loses Job for Holding Gender Critical Opinions."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is what happens when one cnut meets another cnut.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

You can't force your own agenda on to some elses deeply held beliefs and expect no blowback.

You can't photoshop a poster to attempt to rewrite tradition, history and religion to suit your own selfish needs. You don't see any big multinationals using Jesus to sell their products.
    Oh, if course something like this would create blowback - but there is quite a difference between that and what happened here. By this standard, Stephen Fry would likely have been arrested before leaving the country after telling Gay Byrne what he really feels about God a few years ago.

This is what happens when one cnut meets another cnut.

Can you be more specific on the subjects of your comment?

Can you be more specific on the subjects of your comment?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Just shows the importance of our recent referendum, even if the offence was basically impossible to prosecute here, while it existed there was a possibility of extradition being upheld for blasphemy offences committed elsewhere.

Greece once tried to extradite an Austrian artist who hadn't even been there!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/mar/23/austria.arts

Oh, if course something like this would create blowback - but there is quite a difference between that and what happened here. By this standard, Stephen Fry would likely have been arrested before leaving the country after telling Gay Byrne what he really feels about God a few years ago.

Nobody should be arrested.
    Stephen Frys encounter with our antiquated laws was just a minor diversion and amusement. Dave Allen was attacking the Catholic church 20 years before that.

So attacking a belief is one thing.
    Trying to tack on your own beliefs and jump on the 2000 year bandwagon is another.

jesus thats shocking that would happen in ireland in 2019

what?

poland?

right then. who gives a fcuk.

No.

Yeah, that's how people game the system and dance around bans.

Yeah, that's how people game the system and dance around bans.

I'll have you know my dancing skills are extraordinary. My version of the moonwalk is the talk of many a soiree.

• Advertisement

Stephen Frys encounter with our antiquated laws was just a minor diversion and amusement. Dave Allen was attacking the Catholic church 20 years before that.

So attacking a belief is one thing.
    Trying to tack on your own beliefs and jump on the 2000 year bandwagon is another.
    I'm confused, your first post said she should have expected blowback regarding her pictures/arrest, but this one says nobody should be arrested?

I am assuming we are both in agreement that neither she nor Fry should have been arrested, so I'm guessing the wording in your initial post just threw me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

Really? Have you not heard of the man who was sent to prison for placing a piece of bacon on the door of a Mosque? He subsequently died in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It is, and I am generally not a fan of unfettered free speech for all either. But at the same time, I do not agree that putting a rainbow around an image of someone's head should have you imprisoned. It is pretty similar to the ludicrous idea of imprisoning people (or worse) for depicting Muhammad in some Muslim countries, and frankly I would rather European nations not aspire to that.

I’d have given you the benefit of the doubt that you weren’t deliberately ignoring context there if I thought you hadn’t read your own article before linking to it. Since I know you did read your own article, I can say with certainty that you’re deliberately ignoring the context. It’s not just “putting a rainbow around an image of someone’s head”, is it?

You’re being purposely disingenuous if that’s your take on this incident.

I'm confused, your first post said she should have expected blowback regarding her pictures/arrest, but this one says nobody should be arrested?

I am assuming we are both in agreement that neither she nor Fry should have been arrested, so I'm guessing the wording in your initial post just threw me a bit.

That's okay, I'm patient enough to explain things simply to you.

But people who offend someones beliefs should expect "blowback".
    The statements are mutually exclusive.
    Where "blowback" means negative opinions on their published opinions.

Really? Have you not heard of the man who was sent to prison for placing a piece of bacon on the door of a Mosque? He subsequently died in prison.
    You mean the one in Florida in the US where he had multiple prior offenses for burglary, and accepted the plea for that sentence because it dropped the armed burglary charges for breaking into said mosque with a machete?

Or do you mean the guy in the UK who died in prison from ODing on drugs, having been in there for shouting racial abuse at people in the moseuq while putting bacon over it?

Because neither of those things are the same as here. If she was aggressively shouting bigotry at Catholics while doing it, or had broken into and vandalized a church before putting the pictures up in/around it, while also having multiple previous convictions for burglary... then you might have a point.

So what is your take on this Patty, should she have been arrested and imprisoned?

That's okay, I'm patient enough to explain things simply to you.

But people who offend someones beliefs should expect "blowback".
    The statements are mutually exclusive.
    Where "blowback" means negative opinions on their published opinions.
    Well then I will also very simply point out to you that this thread isn't about blowback of public opinion or criticism in reaction to this. It is about being arrested and imprisoned by the state as a reaction to that.

At least we are in agreement that Poland have messed up here, though.

I’d have given you the benefit of the doubt that you weren’t deliberately ignoring context there if I thought you hadn’t read your own article before linking to it. Since I know you did read your own article, I can say with certainty that you’re deliberately ignoring the context. It’s not just “putting a rainbow around an image of someone’s head”, is it?

You’re being purposely disingenuous if that’s your take on this incident.
    Jack, I think it goes without saying that a rainbow typically represents the LGBT community - who have been marginalised in Poland and are increasingly being done so under a very pro Catholic political party and establishment.

Are you saying this is your defense of her being arrested?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

offending religious feelings - a crime in Poland
    Frigging nuts these laws still exist in this day and age.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Or the use of social media to prohibit expert speakers from discussing their scientific opinions...

See the AH thread on "Woman Loses Job for Holding Gender Critical Opinions."

Bit of a difference here though, that woman won't be going to prison

Advertisement