Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best live act you’ve ever seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Tom Waits, Rat Cellar, Phoenix Park, July 2008. Just magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Future islands

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Top_Guy

Daft Punk Oxegen 2007
    Foals 3 Arena 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Fuckit I haven't lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Frank Sinatra. The Point, Dublin, 1991.
    You won't beat that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OldRio wrote: »
    Hawkwind in 1970.
    Nothing was ever the same again.

You sound like you have seen some great space rock through the years, my first time seeing Hawkwind was 1983. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

For me it has to be basically any90s metal gig but my most memorable.

Ozzy in Mcgonagles in 1991--went to both nights cos the tickets were only 8.00 old pounds.
    Metallica in the top hat in 1988.
    RHCP in the Point in 1995 .
    Another one that was a fantastic night was Mud / Sweet / Showaddywaddy and Suzi Quatro in the Point in 1993--don't know how I ended up at that one but I remember being in the rock garden and someone said cmon we`ll head down and see if we can get cheap tickets. Think we paid something like 2.00 pound each from a tout who couldn't get rid of them quick enough. But look at that line up. All for 2.00 quid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

R Kellly on CBS News yesterday

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Black Country Communion at Vicar St. in 2011 were amazing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

lbj666 wrote: »
    Faith No More Olympia 2009 but I am waiting for some old fart to tell me..." nah they we way better at sunstroke in dalymount back in 1891 "

No one better than that I saw them in the Top Hat in Dun Laoire in 1990 I think. Now that was a good gig!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Josh Ritter Vicar Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Leonard Cohen at kilmainham

The weather was great
    The atmosphere was great
    And the man himself was great
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Springsteen
    Steve Marriott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Chic at Electric Picnic 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've seen The Pogues many times from the early 80s in Paddy Kennedy's in Puckane, to Dublin, Manchester, Birmingham, and Paris in 2013 (I think) . The band were always great and when Shane was on his game it was even better. Drummer Andrew Rankin said, 'All pogues reviews go like this, "The band were good, the singer was drunk and tears were shed for the famine." '.

Movin' Hearts. Puckane again

Ozzy. Leicester

Gary Moore. Birmingham

John Martyn. Grange Co. Sligo. 200 capacity

Old Crow Medicine Show. Olympia

Hayseed Dixie. Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Ian OB

Therapy?

The energy off the stage when they play is something else entirely.

RATM run them a close second place

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pearl jam. Will give you at least three hours. No two gigs the same. You're enjoying it because they're enjoying it

Would be better if they decided to play Ireland again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

michael jackson. cork. 198?. cant remember year!
    excellent concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

U2 pop mart 1997 Dublin

Others might not agree at all but I was just gone twenty and life was pretty perfect, all came together

Saw them again in slane 2001 and didn't get as much out of it

Forgot one--Bodycount in the SFX
    The controversy leading up to it was nuts. Gardaí saying they`d arrest the band if they played cop killer--yep think they started with cop killer.
    Amazing gig.Has to be in my top 3 ever.

Im too old now for these rock and metal gigs--saw Suicidial Tendencies last year in the academy--may aswell have stayed home with my slippers and my pipe. Old rockers don't age well!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

For me it's Metallica in Donnington in late 90s, and at the point, also u2 zooropa in Páirc Uí Chaoimh was pretty special

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Any sawdoctors gig, the energy they have is unreal.

Counting crows Olympia 1997 I think, got to see them both nights, each night was like they were playing a private gig, to everyone there, surreal. Saw them in point/3 arena since and disappointed. The venue makes huge difference.

Grandaddy in vicar street 2017, a couple of weeks before Kevin (bassist) passed away. First saw them in tbmc around 2000, excellent then too.

Dave Matthews band in the Olympia 2017 or 18. Again way better than point or whatever it's called at the time, where they played around 2015 or so, didn't love.

Damian rice in paradiso, amsterdam, 2002 or 2003. Savage venue, old church.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Queens of the Stoneage at the Olympia. Was a phenomenal show with the band and audience feeding off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've seen some great gigs and epic singers, the memories came back as I read through the thread.

1. Richard Ashcroft, specifically singing Space and Time in the Olympia in about 2005.
    2. David Bowie, Point Depot, 2004.
    3. Prodigy, Olympia 2004. Epic head-banging. Oh, the sadness of Keith's passing.
    4. U2, Slane 2001. The night of the Irish football match. OMG. What a gig.
    4. Ocean Colour Scene, The tent, Oxegen, 2003. The tent barely survived the thunderous rain...

Gigs which I'd love to see on this shore:
    1. Damien Rice.
    2. Reina del Cid and Josh Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Here’s hoping was disappointed enough with gnr last time but a couple more decent support acts and a solid set list from Metallica and it could be a good day

Disappointed? The were great, not sure how you were disappointed.

Rammstein are phenomenal live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bleonard1976

My best ever gig has to be Led Zeppelin in the O2 Arena in London on 10th December 2007. A gig most of the world thought they would never see. Me included. Unbelievable gig

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Best show for me was Michael Jackson in Lansdowne Road in '92.
    Best music and atmosphere was UB40 in the RDS in '94.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The Specials + The Beat + Laurel Aitken.
    17th January 1981.
    Downtown Kampus
    Cork.

I've seen a lot of bands in a lot of venues since then but that one set a benchmark no one else came close to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Both in Sir Henry's in Cork in 1994 and 1995

Manic Street Preachers - maybe 100 at it.

Sasha and John Digweed - place was bouncing, unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

[QUOTE=sligojoek;109617396

John Martyn. Grange Co. Sligo. 200 capacity

[/QUOTE]

Saw JM in Vicar St one of the last shows he ever played if not THE last show and he was beyond great. There was a punkish edge to the folkiest softest heart, a contradiction in person that seemed to suit the general narrative of the music... he was beyond funnny and mischievous in between the songs, had a real soulful genial ‘real’ presence and made Vicar St feel like a small pub with some friends and an old lad on guitar, everyone having a sweet time. I think May You Never is one of if not THE finest most genuine love songs committed to tape and when he sang it in front of you, you could feel the love in the room get magnified by 120000

Advertisement