Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

29-07-2019, 12:02   #1
Aongus Von Bismarck

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

I was reading the Irish papers this morning after my 10k run, and saw that the annual Galway Racing festival is about to begin. This means a week of lazy colour pieces about the ‘craic’, and the sight of helicopters landing and taking off being compared to the Vietnam War. We will also be bombarded with photographs of overweight men with red faces, dressed in cheap suits and sunglasses, clutching plastic pint glasses and gurning at the camera.

Now I’m a Galwegian by birth myself, and retain an affection for the place. However is there any other city that has such a collectivised sense of self-importance about itself? It’s a small, parochial backwater with a 3rd rate university, a handful of mediocre pubs in the ‘Latin Quarter’, and several pretty decent restaurants in fairness. Yet you’d think you were heading to Berlin circa 1925 by the way some of the locals go on about the place. Some of them seem to think they are living in some rich melting pot of ideas where they are always on the edge of some new cultural movement. Meanwhile most of them are like Syd Barrett in 1972 without the prior success.

I don’t think anything sums up this hubris about the place better than an article I read about the place in the Independent earlier this year. Some guy called Gugai McNamara was going on about the vibe on Galway’s ‘West End’, and how he doesn’t cross the river after 6PM as there’s so much to do. The ‘West End’ is made up of about 6 pubs, and one of those dreadful stores selling used records and comic books. It’s to culture what Supermacs is to fine dining.

Does anywhere else in Ireland (or indeed Europe) have locals with such an inflated sense of importance about where they are from? I think the incessant rain and damp is doing something to their brains to be honest.
(104) thanks from:
2smiggy, Abel Ruiz, Addle, Amirani, Ardillaun, Assetbacked, Atoms for Peace, Berserker, Birneybau, BK92, blinding, boring1205, BrenMar, CalamariFritti, cameramonkey, ChikiChiki, Clonmel1000, con___manx1, CrankyHaus, Diarmuid, Don't Chute!, Dr_serious2, Earthhorse, EoinMoran, Filmer Paradise, fitzeyboy., flos1964, For Forks Sake, FoxyVixen, Franz Von Peppercorn II, freedominacup, FreshCoffee, fryup, FTA69, glynf, Harry Palmr, HarveyHunt, Hector Savage, heldel00, idle, Igotadose, Inspector Coptoor, InTheShadows, irishguitarlad, ISOP, Itineoman, James Bond Junior, James Forde, Jamsiek, JayReale, joeysoap, Johnny Jukebox, johnnykilo, jomalone14, josephsoap, Juanito13, JupiterKid, kfallon, klairondavis, lainey_d_123, Laphroaig52, lee_baby_simms, Lefty Bicek, LuasSimon, LuckyLloyd, Mad_maxx, maximoose, mayomaffia, md23040, Mellow Yellow 26.2, mfceiling, mickmackmcgoo, mrsdewinter, PARlance, paw patrol, Pero_Bueno, PinotNero, Planemo, portcrap, PringleDemon, relax carry on, risteard7, shockwave, Skid X, Slattsy, SnazzyPig, Sorry about that, Still waters, sureitsgrand, Tabnabs, Taco Chips, the dark phantom, The Enbalmer, theoldbreed, tigerboon, Trigger Happy, Ubbquittious, upandcumming, Ursus Horribilis, veryangryman, VG31, William Legrande, Wise Old Elf, xzanti
Advertisement
29-07-2019, 12:04   #2
Berties_Horse

Great to crack a few tins on the Spanish Arch of a summer's evening.
29-07-2019, 12:08   #3
kneemos

Criticism is cheap.
Advertisement
29-07-2019, 12:19   #6
Nokotan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
AvB talking about self-aggrandisement.

Alanis Morrissette will re-release a song to capture this.
Before or after her 10k run?
Thanks from:
29-07-2019, 12:21   #8
gifted

Von Bismarck .......pure galway surname....
29-07-2019, 12:25   #9
Woke Hogan

Some people in Galway City are very smug about their little town. The way they go on you'd swear they were wine drinking members of the literati, as opposed to intellectually shallow pissheads. They don't even read books.
Advertisement
29-07-2019, 12:32   #10
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aongus Von Bismarck View Post
I was reading the Irish papers this morning after my 10k run, and saw that the annual Galway Racing festival is about to begin. This means a week of lazy colour pieces about the ‘craic’, and the sight of helicopters landing and taking off being compared to the Vietnam War. We will also be bombarded with photographs of overweight men with red faces, dressed in cheap suits and sunglasses, clutching plastic pint glasses and gurning at the camera.

Now I’m a Galwegian by birth myself, and retain an affection for the place. However is there any other city that has such a collectivised sense of self-importance about itself? It’s a small, parochial backwater with a 3rd rate university, a handful of mediocre pubs in the ‘Latin Quarter’, and several pretty decent restaurants in fairness. Yet you’d think you were heading to Berlin circa 1925 by the way some of the locals go on about the place. Some of them seem to think they are living in some rich melting pot of ideas where they are always on the edge of some new cultural movement. Meanwhile most of them are like Syd Barrett in 1972 without the prior success.

I don’t think anything sums up this hubris about the place better than an article I read about the place in the Independent earlier this year. Some guy called Gugai McNamara was going on about the vibe on Galway’s ‘West End’, and how he doesn’t cross the river after 6PM as there’s so much to do. The ‘West End’ is made up of about 6 pubs, and one of those dreadful stores selling used records and comic books. It’s to culture what Supermacs is to fine dining.

Does anywhere else in Ireland (or indeed Europe) have locals with such an inflated sense of importance about where they are from? I think the incessant rain and damp is doing something to their brains to be honest.
There'll because bloke called Woke Hogan who'll be along shortly , he manage to crowbar Dublin into the conversation, he does a bit of running too.
29-07-2019, 12:34   #12
Woke Hogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
There'll because bloke called Woke Hogan who'll be along shortly , he manage to crowbar Dublin into the conversation, he does a bit of running too.
Too slow, buddy. You should try a bit of running yourself.
29-07-2019, 12:35   #13
pg633

Welcome back AvB. Will you be getting home this summer?
Thanks from:
29-07-2019, 12:38   #14
Stop moaning ffs

I’m a dub born and bred and dragged up and can happily say Galway is a brilliant town.

I hold no truck with crystals and vibes maaaan but Galway just has a great energy and lovely atmosphere all times of the day and night all year round.

Lived there for two years and would move back in a heartbeat.
29-07-2019, 12:54   #15
fergiesfolly

There'll be as many anti-Galway threads as anti-traveller threads soon.

AvB, you're missed down here in Ireland's capital of culture.
Drop down come time and we'll schmooze the Latin Quarter, quaff a few craft ales and listen to some beatnik jazz funk poetry, man.
Then we'll saunter up to Supermacs for a shnackbox, lay a few bets on the nags up in Ballybrit and take in some knacker fighting in Eyre Square

Galway...something for everyone.
Thread Closed