Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was the worst food poisoning you ever experienced?

• 23-12-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

With all the warnings about the best way to reheat food and prepare the Christmas dinner carefully, have you ever had a really bad case of food poisoning and how long did it last? For me, I had a Dominos pizza about 5 years ago and I suspect the oil was rancid- literally 10 minutes after the pizza my stomach cramped and shortly after I started into 2 solid days of vomiting from both ends, fever and nausea and severe dehydration, never forget it.

Would it be too cynical to think that a lot of these cases of mass food poisonings could easily be caused by a bitter minimum wage worker who had enough of being treated like crap for crap money and decided to wipe his arse all over the chicken or bread board??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

After first time eating octopus in Cuba.
    Vomiting for hours. Horrible feeling.

Have no idea pizza could make you sick... Bad chicken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

I think those are caused by low skilled workers that were not trained properly. Don't think you will poisen a customer but instead steal or destroy equipment on purpose.
    Worst case of food poisening when young. We had no money so everything was ate, even questionable things. That ended in three people having to vomit and **** at the same time with only one toilet. At some point ****ting your soul out while occasionally turning around to puke. Great times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Tads Steakhouse beside Macy’s in NY. Had it on the second day of my trip and was in bed sick for the next 3 days. I took one bite and knew it wasn’t right and left the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

With all the warnings about the best way to reheat food and prepare the Christmas dinner carefully, have you ever had a really bad case of food poisoning and how long did it last? For me, I had a Dominos pizza about 5 years ago and I suspect the oil was rancid- literally 10 minutes after the pizza my stomach cramped and shortly after I started into 2 solid days of vomiting from both ends, fever and nausea and severe dehydration, never forget it.
    Probably nothing to do with the pizza or rancid oil or any form of food poisoning - much more likely to have been the winter vomiting bug picked up a day or two earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

BrianD3 wrote:
    Probably nothing to do with the pizza or rancid oil or any form of food poisoning - much more likely to have been the winter vomiting bug picked up a day or two earlier.

Says Brian Domino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Prawn curry in Borneo.

Violent diarrhoea with simultaneous vomiting onto the bathroom floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Harika wrote: »
    I think those are caused by low skilled workers that were not trained properly. Don't think you will poisen a customer but instead steal or destroy equipment on purpose.
    Worst case of food poisening when young. We had no money so everything was ate, even questionable things. That ended in three people having to vomit and **** at the same time with only one toilet. At some point ****ting your soul out while occasionally turning around to puke. Great times.

Ah now; the technique is to sit on the loo with a bucket in your hands. :rolleyes: Did that for two days when I got the winter vomiting bug years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I had food poisoning when I was 9 after a dodgy Chinese restaurant. Was very sick for a few days (as were the whole family) but then after about a week I ended up having a seizure and passing out! Think I was so just so f*cked after not eating for a week as I was too scared of vomiting. Ended up going to hospital but was grand after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

salmonella

Don't read on as this is vulgar if you don't wish to.!!!

Went to a Chinese in Alicante the night before I was flying home to Ireland.

Food tasted fine.

The next morning my stomach was upset and I starting getting 'the runs'

That Continued every 2 3 hours.

Got to the airport and my stomach/body basically emptied itself and I was thinking how am I going to last this flight.

At this point I thought I had a bug and just blamed it on the Chinese.

Made it threw the flight.

Got into Cork Airport and ran straight to the toilet and sat for 45 mins as now nothing but watery liquid came through.

No solids if you will.

My stomach was f*cked up at this point

Got home and was due to have work the next day.

When I got in the door, I felt like my stomach was absolutely messed up.

I sat down on the side of my bed and Bang!!!!!!!! My stomach felt I got a kick into the sides by a horse.

I fell to the floor and held my sides and thought what the hell is going on

Ran to the toilet and had major. Major cramping and nothing coming out!!!

I was just cramping.

It felt like someone took a part of my inside and was twisting tighter and tightening until nothing could bend anymore.

I had no solid or watery stuff coming out but massive pains!! Wouldn't wish it on anyone

Called in sick to work because of the pain and because I actually couldn't get off the toilet.

I rang the GP who said to come. Straight down.

Did a stool test and went to the mercy.

They rang back in 24hr and confirmed salmonella poisoning.

Got an antibiotic for it. (tablet's)

All.meanwhile I was literally ****ting brown water or nothing at all but feeling like I had to but was just cramping.

The horse was kicking my insides non stop.

I was on my bed curled up in a ball crying and I'm a 28 yo man

I never felt pain like it. I wished for the cramps to stop!!! I call them cramps but my insides were Being torned apart and bent and twisted.

My anus was raw from cleaning myself too.

Eventually it went away.

Ordeal lasted about 48 hours

I never ever will. Set food in any Chinese again.

It is a mental block I have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’ve only got food poisoning once from fish at a restaurant in the U.K. I was over for work and spent the whole evening and night puking and then had to go into work the next day and get a flight home. Not fun. I didn’t eat anything except toast for 5 days after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Only time I got a bad one was from a Dunne’s tuna salad. A honestly thought I was dying. Lasted 3 days. Never again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

It is unlikely that you would get poisoned by something eaten after only 10 minutes. It takes 2-4 hours for the stomach to breakdown the food and any "poison" to hit the system. Anything that could cause vomiting that quickly after ingesting should have tasted really bad, so should have been a warning not to eat it, unless your taste buds where compromised in some way.

As said by a previous poster, more likely to have been a vomiting bug picked up earlier or whatever you ate in the hours before you had the pizza.

So far, touch wood, I have not suffered food poisoning that I remember in my 55 years on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Only time I got a bad one was from a Dunne’s tuna salad. A honestly thought I was dying. Lasted 3 days. Never again.

Never again going to have food poisoning? That's handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It is unlikely that you would get poisoned by something eaten after only 10 minutes. It takes 2-4 hours for the stomach to breakdown the food and any "poison" to hit the system. Anything that could cause vomiting that quickly after ingesting should have tasted really bad, so should have been a warning not to eat it, unless your taste buds where compromised in some wayt.

Yep. Exactly why I stopped after one bite. It was rancid.

Hopefully you avoid food poisoning in the future. It’s no fun.

Siem Reap. Three days. Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I got Salmonella while working on a farm - unsure if from the animals directly or from food provided. Probably directly. It lasted 3 weeks and I was extremely sick. I also developed reactive arthritis afterwards.

I also got food poisoning on Christmas Day a few years ago. Started vomiting around 5am on Stephen's Day. Lasted about 48 hours and nowhere near as bad as the previous time. But I had to cancel a trip to London and I'll never eat stuffing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We were all poisoned by ice cream cones when I was quite young. I still remember it to this day. A full week of vomiting my guts up. My mother was fine I’ll we all got better then she went down with it. The human body is incredible like that.

Gave me a life long fear of puking and a serous aversion to ice cream cones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

First night drunk in Thailand I stopped off to eat from some street vendors. Spicy stuff and I lashed it out if it. At some stage I woke up that night and felt as if someone was stabbing me in the stomach and twisting the knife. The pain was horrific and it lasted about two days . I crawled from the bed to the bathroom and was dripping with sweat, couldn't work out if it was the stifling humidity or a result of the bug. A couple of times I thought I might actually pass out and possibly die. The horror

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Oh boy.

About seven years ago had a pork chop that was left in the fridge, no one was in the house, so it was the only thing to eat. Looked OK.

After about two days I started throwing up, and well, continued to throw up. For nearly a month.

After about two weeks of this **** I went to the doctor and he gave me an injection, for nearly another two I continued to violently vomit so much I actually got a sore throat.

I would only have soup and bread, then before bed time I would vomit.

Can only conclude that there was a prolonged refractory period for my stomach, Have never eaten a chop again and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Myself and the missus had meatballs that we think on reflection we may not have cooked all the way through - cue 2/3 days of vomiting and pure liquid, watery diarrhoea - went to the doctor and he confirmed it was food poisoning, basically told us to drink lots of fluids and ride it out, another day or two and we came out the other side

Lesson learned the hard way, now we always cut meat in half to check it's cooked all the way through, even in restaurants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I can't really remember but i remember one night before bed i ate an entire box of jaffa cakes and washed it down with milk and woke up with cramps and the milk curdling in my stomach and puking up for a few hours. I haven't eaten jaffa cakes since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I ate some chicken as a teenager. About 4 hours later I started to feel ill. Then the vomiting and diarrhoea hit. I got a headache so bad I couldn't lift my head to drink and got my mother to go and buy me a baby bottle to drink out of :o It passed in a few days but it was awful.

Not food poisoning but my sister got an awful dose of the 24hr vomiting bug last Christmas. It was just the two of us and she was fine Christmas Eve. Christmas morning she felt like crap and started intermittently vomiting, followed by bouts on the toilet. She got so bad at one stage she was on the toilet while simultaneously puking into a bucket! It was absolutely horrendous for her. We were supposed to visit relatives but had to cancel. She couldn't even look at the Christmas dinner but apart from feeling tired the next day, was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sciprio wrote: »
    I can't really remember but i remember one night before bed i ate an entire box of jaffa cakes and washed it down with milk and woke up with cramps and the milk curdling in my stomach and puking up for a few hours. I haven't eaten jaffa cakes since.
    I love fried onions and one time I cooked a steak with a shed load of onions. A few hours later I was in absolute bits. My abdomen was in agony with trapped wind. I imagine that's how babies with colic feel and I can see now why they scream for hours. It was absolute torture and taught me not to be such a greedy pig :o

I was hospitalized in a certain ME country a few years ago with severe dehydration as a consequence of food poisoning that caused a few days of double ended hell. I couldn't keep water down and started to black out. Once your electrolytes get screwed up it's a dangerous situation but I was working in a hospital at the time so I got immediate attention. The stomach pains were agonizing and the situation was not helped by the riots following political unrest right outside the hospital, the sound of distant explosions, and being all alone in a foreign country. I lost 13lbs in about ten days and was weak for a long while afterwards.

It wasn't much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Croatia.
    Was told not to go to the Albanian owned restaurants, thought because Croatians don't really like Albanians.
    Went to one of the restaurants, two hours or so later literally exploded from every orifice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Probably not worst but most annoying was on a 12 hour flight to Cape Town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

A garlic chip in an establishment in Cahir Co Tipperary.

Ruined my trip to Kilkenny, 3 days mostly in bed, luckily the person I was visiting was empathic and good to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Cant remember what i ate but I remember thinking ‘this is it this is how i die’ severe chest tightness, cramps, lightheaded, puking etc. lasted for one evening but i thought it was a stroke or heart attack lol

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Cant remember what i ate but I remember thinking ‘this is it this is how i die’ severe chest tightness, cramps, lightheaded, puking etc. lasted for one evening but i thought it was a stroke or heart attack lol

Oh and i was in holidays in the Philippines 6 years ago. Went to a secluded tourist resort area. Saw some oysters and thought i eat them raw here all the time so i went up and shucked a few shells.

Shat out weird gel for like a month

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

sk8erboii wrote: »

It's horrific isn't it, I know that feeling.
    Like a whitener multiplied by 10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

About two months ago. Dunno what caused it but I think it was eggs.

Spent two days erupting from each orifice, by day 2 all that was coming out of both ends was blood, couldn't even hold down water.

At the time, I was being tested for Crohn's disease and the internet convinced me it was a "flare." :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Kentucky fried chicken. Ended up in hospital. Never ever eaten it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Was in Mexico 17 years ago...got some chicken in a place next to where we were staying. It had been kept warm in a bain marie. Two of us in the same room ended up with it....sitting on the jacks with your head over the sink for a couple of days. Often with smell of carnage after the other lad had a bout of the same...just in case you needed help vomiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What would happen if it hit in the middle of a long flight? And you literally could not hold in the sh%t and vomit? Surely that has happened before? There comes a point when your body simply will NOT hold it in and it goes everywhere! I would imagine its very tricky because you would need a toilet all to yourself to prevent destroying the seats and people around you but then what do you do when turbulence hits and you need to be in your seat? I feel sorry for anyone in that situation, must be horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Never got food poisoned touch wood. Became unwell from eating plums I pulled from a tree once one summer but I don't think that was food poisoning just they didn't agree with me. Well, not sure what happened there really, no vomiting anyway. Just long spells sitting on the you know what. Too much information on this thread already so I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What would happen if it hit in the middle of a long flight? And you literally could not hold in the sh%t and vomit? Surely that has happened before? There comes a point when your body simply will NOT hold it in and it goes everywhere! I would imagine its very tricky because you would need a toilet all to yourself to prevent destroying the seats and people around you but then what do you do when turbulence hits and you need to be in your seat? I feel sorry for anyone in that situation, must be horrific.

A workmate spent a 10 hour flight from India back to UK in the loo, evacuating from both ends, after a dodgy last night dinner venue.

There was lots of knocking on the door by crew and passengers, but he told the crew that he couldn't leave.

I had an Italian sausage at the market in the People's Park in Dun Laoghaire one Sunday afternoon about 13 years ago. I had a normal dinner at home, but at bedtime, the floodgates opened. I spent the whole night in the loo, capping and puking. It dried up by Monday morning, so I called in sick and went back to bed.

Against my better judgement, I went out at lunch time with the missus and mother in law. I took a mouthful of soup, and had to make a mad dash for the loo again. The two cubicle were full, so I had to take the disabled loo, and was mortified to have to ignore someone trying the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I've never had food poisoning, I think I've just eaten so much crap over the years I'm immune. I used to get Chinese takeaway and eat the leftovers 4 or 5 days later!! I'd be a bit more picky now but still definitely eat it 2 days after.

Sorry posted too soon. My aunt was bad after she ate frozen broccoli that wasn't fully cooked. She was elderly and it almost killed her. So I'm very picky with broccoli :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Based on all the horror stories posted here,( and for sure they are horror stories....I know them only too well, but as they have been already well documented on this forum, I'll spare everyone the gory details of my personal experience's.....)
    Has anyone had permanent damage done by one of these episodes? If so, what form did it take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Something dodgy in India, couldn't eat for 3 weeks afterwards. Decided to wait until I went back to Ireland to sort it although never really felt that bad. Although I did have a **** that was like a volcano erupting and I was in the squat position and missed

Came back and weighed 9 stone(I'm 6'3) and it turned out to be Salmonella/TB/Campylobacter/ some parasite plus some other stuff as they seemed to keep on finding new things every few days.

2 weeks in Blanch hospital on the old eat as much as I want diet then let out and a nurse coming to administer an IV drip for another 10 days on about 16 tablets daily on top of that. Insides are still fecked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Drank several shots of tequila, whiskey and sambuca and the next day I remember feeling violently ill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

My ex girlfriend, who by her own admission was a terrible cook, decided to make a pumpkin soup one evening and spread some pumpkin seeds on the top. It tasted fine but halfway during the night I woke up bent over with cramp and my stomach was making noises like a drain emptying.

Straight to the jacks and emptied a liquid explosion while at the same time trying to crane my neck in to the sink next to the toilet and wretched out watery puke. This continued for another 12 hours. Thank god we were living in an apartment with 2 bathrooms as she was in the other bathroom in the same state.

By the end of the following day with raw holes and throats we looked like death warmed up. Upon inspection the seeds were about a year out of date. Suffice to say she never cooked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Got food poisoning 6 months ago after having fish from my work canteen during my lunch

Got home that evening was fine, then symptoms kicked in, felt as if I had grown a brick in my stomach, then an all nighter of severe stomach cramps and dehydration and it was 36 hours later before I felt I could eat anything again

The worst part of it all was that I got poisoned on the Friday so as I work Mon-Fri I lost my weekend trying to recover from it instead of taking a couple of sick days from my job when it was their canteen at fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Microwaved a steak circa 1998...haven't done it since

Got caffeine poisoning from drinking too much coffee a couple of times years ago..can't drink it since..I'm rattling a half hour after a cup now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Microwaved a steak circa 1998...haven't done it since

Didn't make me sick but probably around the same year someone told me that the easiest and fastest way to make beans on toast was to put the beans between two slices of bread and put them into a sandwich maker. Did that and bit into it when done. The beans inside must have been about 3000 degrees. Mouth wrecked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Never I have a stomach like a cement mixer

A hint of anything dodgy that enters my system it's gone within minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

RasTa wrote: »
    Something dodgy in India, couldn't eat for 3 weeks afterwards. Decided to wait until I went back to Ireland to sort it although never really felt that bad. Although I did have a **** that was like a volcano erupting and I was in the squat position and missed

Came back and weighed 9 stone(I'm 6'3) and it turned out to be Salmonella/TB/Campylobacter/ some parasite plus some other stuff as they seemed to keep on finding new things every few days.

2 weeks in Blanch hospital on the old eat as much as I want diet then let out and a nurse coming to administer an IV drip for another 10 days on about 16 tablets daily on top of that. Insides are still fecked

How long ago was that RasTa? ( if you dont mind me asking? ) Are you still on medication to the present day? Or are there now certain food's /drinks etc that you cannot take? I mean how has it affected your life? or is everything back to normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Can't remember what I ate, but it was in Peru.
    Three of us laid out for nearly 2 days with explosive ****s before he ciproxin kicked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

There was a Lebanese food stall at a market selling falafel and dates and stuff wrapped in fig leaves. That was a Sunday morning, I stopped shitting the following Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

In a 'Mexican' in Ko Phi Phi Don. I ate the side salad. Never eat the side salad...
    I had a difficult choice to make several times as both ends of my GI tract were in active use and the sink was too far from the toilet. So I couldn't hit both at the same time. The only saving grace was that the bathroom was more like a wetroom in a hospital, so I could just hose it down afterwards with the shower head.

I got worried when I couldn't even keep water down, especially in 40C+ heat so I slammed a few loperamide tablets and hoped for the best. About two days later I was finally able to keep down some margherita pizza but it was a grim time. I didn't leave my room except to get more water. F uck that place, the only part of Thailand I didn't like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement