Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had to Work on Christmas Day?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Yup, pretty sure i've worked every Christmas day for the last 10 or so years. Somehow managed to be rostered for every Christmas day while I was a Garda, but I did swap once or twice and got a different day off instead. I'm finished work tonight at 10pm (kinda like a supervisor, but not a proper one yet), and my normal week is Tuesday to Saturday, so I was rostered to work this year again. They then pulled names and gave me Xmas day off, but an hour later asked if I could work as they were stuck. I don't mind. I don't have kids, and don't like kids, so I'm missing the Xmas dinner with roaring kids around (myself and the parents go to the sisters house). And getting double time for it (yes, I agree it should be more, but thems the deals, it's the legal amount, joys of American overlords!). So it's better for me to work, as I'd only spend money if I was off.

I don't mind working. I'll always volunteer to work it, but I take issue with companies that automatically give people with their own family the day off and expect the employees that don't have kids to work it instead. In general, I don't think any parent should get special treatment just because they had unprotected sex. I don't agree with parent/child parking spaces either. Actually, I just don't agree with anything where people get special treatment just because they had a kid.

That went slightly OT...

I think the idea is that it’s for the kids sake and not the parent(s). My mother was a nurse and worked a few Christmases when I was young as they did a cycle irrespective of families or not. I do recall the ones where she worked and we’d have present opening or dinner at peculiar times, pissed off when she left. Think you’ve got the purpose of it arsed ways there. Although automatic entitlement is wrong, I’d agree with that...but having worked in private and public sector I’ve never heard of it so I’m not sure I believe you or that it happens...I was asked when I didnt have kids to do the Stephens day and on to New Year’s Eve and I did agree but there was no gun to my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Greyfox wrote: »
    Scheduled in once, obviously I rang in sick. They knew I wasn't really sick but there's very little a company can do about it as it's still just 1 sick day. Unless your something like a nurse I think people who work Xmas day are off there heads

How dis that work out? Did somebody get a call to come in on Christmas Day to cover for you? .... Might have damaged your popularity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Greyfox wrote: »
    Scheduled in once, obviously I rang in sick. They knew I wasn't really sick but there's very little a company can do about it as it's still just 1 sick day. Unless your something like a nurse I think people who work Xmas day are off there heads

If you done that in my job and got someone caught to cover your shift on Christmas day you'd be getting unarmed combat classes in the handball ally ;)

There'd be no doubting your next sick day would be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I've done different days around Xmas and did work one Xmas day 9 to7.

I work in a hospital lab and it was just boring and lonely. Got dinner for free in the canteen though which was a nice touch.

Its just another day for me as i dont have kids. I didnt mind working it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The country would be a lot wealthier and more productive if the country decided to forgo all bank holidays and Christmas...

And there would also be no point in doing anything then, so it wouldn't actually be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

I'm a soldier, so yes lots of Christmas day duties. I suppose the most difficult was Christmas away from my children while I was away on UN service in Lebanon.

Being overseas for one of those tours if you have children must be real tough. Most people even if they are working will get to see the family at some stage during the day.

Brother is starting training next year. What type of duties would you have on Christmas Day? Thought they would only need a minimum number on duty on Christmas Day unless there was some emergency or really bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Farmer here. Stock still have to be checked and fed. Is that 'work'?

arctictree wrote: »
    Farmer here. Stock still have to be checked and fed. Is that 'work'?

Depends if you want to do it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

worked 3 christmases as a security guard...it was great got paid double time...drank beer watched tv and eat food and sweets

Nope, never. I haven’t even worked in the period from 21/22nd dec until the 2nd if Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Patww79 wrote: »
    Depends if you want to do it or not.

Love doing it. Great to be out and about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

No, but I worked from 6am - 5pm today, I'll be working from 9am - 7pm tomorrow and then from 5:30am - 5pm on Christmas Eve, so I'll probably be too tired to function on Christmas Day.

arctictree wrote: »
    Love doing it. Great to be out and about!

Then it's not work. Work is only something you hate doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

beaufoy wrote: »
    worked 3 christmases as a security guard...it was great got paid double time...drank beer watched tv and eat food and sweets

forgot to mention I had long sleeps without fear of supervisor catching me because they did not work...in the end i lost the job because I was caught asleep on duty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I haven't worked it yet but I'm working a morning shift Christmas Eve and will be working night shift New Years. It's not a huge deal. If you're working you can pick another day to spend time with family and exchange gifts. It's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

If you done that in my job and got someone caught to cover your shift on Christmas day you'd be getting unarmed combat classes in the handball ally ;)

There'd be no doubting your next sick day would be genuine.

I know it's a tradition in the British Army that the officers serve the non coms Christmas dinner. Does that happen in the Irish Army?

Worked in a NOC (network operations centre) for a number of years, the NOC is operational 24x7x365 so two 12 hour shifts covered christmas day.
    Fortunately, we had an agreement where the parants would have xmas day off and work new year and vice versa.

So I never worked xmas day, but, worked several new year days (& nights).

The country would be a lot wealthier and more productive if the country decided to forgo all bank holidays and Christmas...
    I assume you're trolling, if not, we're on this planet to live, not just to work to line the pockets of the 0.001%

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

Years ago worked in a call centre and worked Christmas evening as was new got rostered for it. Just 2 of us plus supervisor and was real quiet. People actually called to check if there was anybody there!
    cml387 wrote: »
    I know it's a tradition in the British Army that the officers serve the non coms Christmas dinner. Does that happen in the Irish Army?

Don't know about the Army but in Mountjoy prisoners get a cooked breakfast served by the Officers on Christmas instead of the usual cereal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

sightband wrote: »
    I think the idea is that it’s for the kids sake and not the parent(s). My mother was a nurse and worked a few Christmases when I was young as they did a cycle irrespective of families or not. I do recall the ones where she worked and we’d have present opening or dinner at peculiar times, pissed off when she left. Think you’ve got the purpose of it arsed ways there. Although automatic entitlement is wrong, I’d agree with that...but having worked in private and public sector I’ve never heard of it so I’m not sure I believe you or that it happens...I was asked when I didnt have kids to do the Stephens day and on to New Year’s Eve and I did agree but there was no gun to my head.

I know it's for the kids sake, but like yourself, I had some Christmas's where one or both parents were working, sucks but tough. 99 times out of 100 I'll volunteer, but it has happened me in 3 jobs (2 call centres about 12-14 years ago and the Gardaí) where I was expected to work and those with kids automatically got it off. Didn't know any better for the first 2 call centre places, I was 19/20 and 22/23, was just happy to be working. When it happened in the Gardaií though I was rightly annoyed. And not just for things like this, having kids while being a Garda seems to automatically put you top of the list for days off. It's not like us single folk enjoy these times too...

• Advertisement

Mark25 wrote: »
    Years ago worked in a call centre and worked Christmas evening as was new got rostered for it. Just 2 of us plus supervisor and was real quiet. People actually called to check if there was anybody there!

Don't know about the Army but in Mountjoy prisoners get a cooked breakfast served by the Officers on Christmas instead of the usual cereal

I hope you're joking about that second one.

He's not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

Its true - well it was about 5 years ago. Think its a tradition thats been there for ages

Disgrace, should be just another day to them.

He's not joking.
    Disgrace, should be just another day to them.

Imagine the momentary mutual respect between inmates and screws and what that could do to redeem and make them bond and respect one another. I think it’s a nice gesture on a day we are all supposed to appreciate what we have and one another, irrespective of religion. If I was working in such a miserable hostile environment I would definitely stick my hand up to offer to do as much. If I was working on Christmas Day I’d rather do something to make it meaningful instead of sitting on the couch watching ****e and eating quality street.

sightband wrote: »
    Imagine the momentary mutual respect between inmates and screws and what that could do to redeem and make them bond and respect one another. I think it’s a nice gesture on a day we are all supposed to appreciate what we have and one another, irrespective of religion. If I was working in such a miserable hostile environment I would definitely stick my hand up to offer to do as much. If I was working on Christmas Day I’d rather do something to make it meaningful instead of sitting on the couch watching ****e and eating quality street.

There's far more meaningful things you could do than serving criminals. They shouldn't have any perks like that at all. No idea what you're getting at with religion, it was never mentioned.

Worked in a NOC (network operations centre) for a number of years, the NOC is operational 24x7x365 so two 12 hour shifts covered christmas day.
    Fortunately, we had an agreement where the parants would have xmas day off and work new year and vice versa.

So I never worked xmas day, but, worked several new year days (& nights).

Was there OT or any special conditions for New Years? I would volunteer in any unskilled capacity for a one night only gig for New Years if the money was good enough...I’m talking €30 an hour region. Biggest pile of shįte night of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have worked christmas day a few times. I work with young people in care so that obviously doesn't stop for christmas. I don't like christmas so don't mind and I like the triple time! I am working until late christmas eve this year but off christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

I worked numerous Christmas days in a restaurant in Spain. It wasn't actually that bad. People are generally in good spirits and happy that they don't have to cook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

cml387 wrote: »

It does, officers and/or senior NCO's will serve enlisted ranks Christmas dinner....with caveats.

I spent Christmas Day in Lebanon 3 times, once in Liberia and 3 times on various 24hr security duties within Ireland.

I have also worked Christmas Eve, New Years Eve and New Years Day.

I think there have been 5 years since 1999 that I was not working one of the above days.

It sucks balls.

Advertisement