Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should you expect a christmas bonus?

Options
  • 17-12-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

Out of interest would you expect to receive a christmas bonus in work?. this year we had no christmas party and were given a €50 one 4 all voucher. I have always received a bonus and had a xmas party at all other companies i have worked for. in the same industry.

Am i wrong to think the 50 quid was a bit tight?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes 50 is ****e and could hardly be called a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yes 50 is ****e and could hardly be called a bonus

Not even €50 if you pay BIK on it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Depends on your work and wage really

Personally I really like the 14 month payment system, so you get a bit less in your regular monthly, but then you get 2 big 'bonus' payments for Christmas and summer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've never received a Xmas bonus in any company I've worked for.

Take your €50 and be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Unless it's specifically mentioned in a contract bonuses are at the discretion of the company. Size of bonus depends on company performance, strength and loyalty to staff. The company I work for gives us a substantial bonus every year but it is dependent on company performance. It was suspended during the recession for 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Unless it's specifically mentioned in a contract bonuses are at the discretion of the company. Size of bonus depends on company performance, strength and loyalty to staff. The company I work for gives us a substantial bonus every year but it is dependent on company performance. It was suspended during the recession for 4 years.

How substantial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Depends on your work and wage really

Personally I really like the 14 month payment system, so you get a bit less in your regular monthly, but then you get 2 big 'bonus' payments for Christmas and summer

Our last payment was 5th of december and we dont get paid again until 5th January also,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not even €50 if you pay BIK on it!
    No BIK on one off bonuses by gift card if it's less than €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

you can give vouchers up to a certain limit and not have to pay BIK ( sorry ELM327 beat me to it )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I don't think you should expect a Christmas bonus. Haven't got one myself in years. Its not done in the company I work for and irrelevant what the industry norm is. Id be happy with a 50 quid voucher TBH.

• Advertisement

How substantial

None of your business tbh.

Never understood this entitlement complex, if you're fortunate to receive any bonus then be grateful and stop whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I got £1,000 from my last job for Christmas. Not bad seeing as how I was only there for three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I would see that as a reasonable approach and a norm for my industry (Construction). Hence why im a bit pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You could have just given a percentage value of your salary without having to get defensive.

On the OP's point, no one should really expect a Christmas bonus unless terms and conditions are outlined what it'll take to merit it (sales targets, profit margin etc), or it's specifically outlined in your contract.

They lose their purpose if blindly given year after year and can cause poor moral if they are withdrawn, even if justifiably so.

You could have just given a percentage value of your salary without having to get defensive.

Or the individual concerned could have refrained from asking a question that was irrelevant. Works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Not unless you work for the Luas :-o

But seriously, no, never received a bonus at Christmas. We may get a One4All voucher, but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I got a Christmas Hamper with various food items in it off work...

/woo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i used to get 1 weeks wages as my christmas bonus. very decent bonus i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Getting paid before Christmas / one payment halfway through December and one at the end is about as close to a bonus as I've gotten!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Back in 2006-2009 when I was in the building industry the Christmas bonuses were immense. As a junior estimator I got €1,300 the first year and €1,700 the next two years.

In my last job the bonuses were horrendous for normal staff but were massive for the owners. In my current job we get Perfect Incentive cards for quite substantial amounts. Everyone including the boss gets the same. We also get 10% of the monthly profits each month divided between us which is taxed as normal. We are very lucky to get a Christmas bonus on top of this.

Bonuses shouldn't be expected but be grateful if you do get one. There's no obligation at all on a company to give them and it depends IMO on how well the company is doing whether or not they would give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I run a small business, and employ 11 people. No way in hell I'd be paying any of them a Christmas bonus. They work for their pay, and that's more than enough for most of them. Never underestimate how lazy and incompetent the average human can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I run a small business, and employ 11 people. No way in hell I'd be paying any of them a Christmas bonus. They work for their pay, and that's more than enough for most of them. Never underestimate how lazy and incompetent the average human can be.

Thank fcuk I don't work for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If your staff are that **** then i suggest you look for better staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

We receive an annual bonus but it's not at Xmas and that's fine , it's in the next years first quarter and usually decided end of the previous year and based on performance up to a maximum of 10% of your salary which I think is pretty good.

I got 10% last year , most people are in and around that or 5 - 7.5%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

€250?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

As a servant of the people, I shan’t be expecting one, not even a one-year membership in the Jelly of the Month Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

You definitely don't flash the cash there, Johnny!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If your staff are that **** then i suggest you look for better staff.

The lads who work for me are very much manual labour grunts. The majority of them are Eastern European, as thick as two short planks, and have serious issues with alcohol consumption. They load heavy things into vans, unload them, and sometimes they will install these heavy things (commercial kitchen equipment). I could replace any of them in the morning, and not skip a heartbeat. They certainly don't deserve any sort of bonus. They don't offer any sort of differentiating skill that makes them worthy of a bonus. If they don't like that, then they can go and find another job. I'm doing most of them a favour by giving them a job in the first place. It's a small business I'm running, not bloody Goldman Sachs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We get an excellent bonus most years but it’s paid out in March.

If the business does well, we do well, if it doesn’t it’s tough ****..

Advertisement