Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-05-2019, 21:14   #1
bfa1509

Why the sudden hysteria over climate change?

I am not denying that global temperatures are increasing, or that ice caps aren't melting, or sea levels not rising etc. (although I am skeptical of how significant the role humans played in all of this). But why all the deranged hysteria all of a sudden? Is there new scientific evidence published?

Just 15-20 years ago the only headline grabbing climate change stories were from Al Gore's spurious catastrophic predictions for the future (many of which failed to occur of course). But now there is no escaping it. We are being bombarded with climate crisises left, right and centre all of a sudden, but they don't seem to have any substantial basis whatsoever. Yet the global hysteria is mind boggling, from huge protests, to bold political promises, to no-meat mondays to Birthstrikers (yes, there are women who refuse to have children because there won't be an earth here for them to grow up on... https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e-change-ends)

If someone says that the earth is flat or the moonlandings were faked, or 911 was an inside job, we point and laugh at them, say they need to put on their tin-foil hat and then move their thread to the conspiracy forum. Yet, a climate change activist can spew the most baseless claims and they get applauded and put on a pedestal.

Was I in a coma when all this damning evidence came to light? The world feels the same to me as it did back in the 90s.
Advertisement
03-05-2019, 21:20   #2
buried

Look at this extreme weather over here lads and don't be looking at the printing the paper money with nothing backing it over there
03-05-2019, 21:21   #3
OldMrBrennan83

It's pushed as a means of taxation. Look at nearly everything extra you're paying now, it's mostly environmental bollocks.

_

Last edited by OldMrBrennan83; 03-05-2019 at 21:25.
03-05-2019, 21:21   #4
sk8erboii

Its May and 4 degrees out lad. This aint normal
03-05-2019, 21:24   #5
sk8erboii

What about scientists with PhD’s publicizing their research? Is that unbelievable to you? In my experience, most skeptics were people who have not taken a single science class after secondary school.
Advertisement
03-05-2019, 21:26   #6
Fighting Tao

It’s not sudden. People are only starting to listen.
(158) thanks from:
-=al=-, 00sully, AdamD, Aisling(",), Akrasia, AngryHippie, Arghus, Augme, Austria!, Batrachotox, BaZmO*, Beasty, Blanchy90, Blowfish, Brian?, bronte, Brussels Sprout, BuileBeag, Captain Flaps, Champagne Sally, citygal93, coastwatch, Conchir, Cookie_Monster, cravings, crybaby, CucaFace, CYHSN, DaaaaaaaaaaN, Dale Doback, Dalomanakora, danslevent, Dave_The_Sheep, Dayor Knight, Del.Monte, Delirium, Diablo Verde, Diarmuid, Dick phelan, Drumpot, Dublinstiofán, Duckjob, earthwormjack, Edgarfrndly, electro~bitch, Essien, extra gravy, feargale, Fizzlesque, Flying Fox, Foxx92, friendlyfun, FutureGuy, gazz, GeorgeBailey, Glico Man, granturismo, Greentopia, Greyjoy, hairyslug, Herb Powell, highdef, holliehobbie, Hulk Hands, iamstop, Indestructable, Insect Overlord, Itineoman, ixoy, Jamsiek, JayZeus, Jim Murphy 69, jim o doom, jim-mcdee, jimmurt, jimmycrackcorm, jochenstacker, Joeytheparrot, JP Liz V1, juneg, Juwwi, kceire, KD11, Kirby, Knex., LaChatteGitane, Lady Spangles, legrand, LessOutragePlz, listermint, Lollipops23, Mark Hamill, Mark Rippetoe, Martina1991, massdebater, Matt Barrett, miezekatze, Moghead, NH2013, North of 32, nothing, Oafley Jones, omega man, paulbok, paul_booth_fan, pconn062, Peregrine, PhilOssophy, Pudsy33, punk_one82, R3_Regera, rainbowdrop, rainbowtrout, Rikand, Rosie Rant, Rothko, Sabrinam002, Say my name, secondrowgal, Simi, SmallTeapot, snowstreams, Solomon Pleasant, SozBbz, Spudmonkey, sReq | uTeK, Stan27, Stark, StinkyMunkey, stiofan85, strandroad, Stu Redman, Subcomandante Marcos, Sudden Valley, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, Tea-a-Maria, Teyla Emmagan, Thargor, the baby bull elephant, the incredible pudding, thegreatescape, theteal, Timistry, tmh106, Tombom1, unkel, urban sprawl, vangoz, vetinari, Water John, Wearandtear, wench, westernfrenzy, WesternZulu, What.Now, Wibbs, Wiggles88, woodchuck
03-05-2019, 21:28   #7
brevity

Lots of things are happening if you know where to look.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...cientists-warn

I think the ramp up is due to to fact that we could be hitting the point of no return.

It’s not going to be the case like Hollywood movies show, I think it will be gradual thing that creeps up on us.
(4) thanks from:
03-05-2019, 21:29   #8
SEPT 23 1989

As children it was the Cold War four minute warning etc

If it wasn't for fear people might start living
03-05-2019, 21:34   #9
bfa1509

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8erboii View Post
What about scientists with PhD’s publicizing their research? Is that unbelievable to you? In my experience, most skeptics were people who have not taken a single science class after secondary school.
I know a lot of PhD's. I would give more worth to toilet paper than to their thesises.

I think whats pissing me off is the hypocrisy, especially from (admittedly mostly female) people at work who drone on about what a disaster it is, and how we're not doing enough and yet they, in their range rovers, guzzle away the diesel of which the fumes have proven links to asthma
Advertisement
03-05-2019, 21:34   #10
biko
Arbiter

There is a LOT of focus on climate change right now, for better or worse.
Although I agree with you on the hysteria, there seem to be a lot of evidence for it, well if you believe NASA that is.
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

That said, when you hear about shrinking ice sheets from NASA page, they also say on another
Quote:
A major Greenland glacier that was one of the fastest-shrinking ice and snow masses on Earth is growing again, a NASA study has found.
It is probably inevitable that humans affect the planet, the question is to what extent, and what do we do to slow it down?

Last edited by biko; 03-05-2019 at 21:38.
Thanks from:
03-05-2019, 21:38   #12
Charles Ingles
Banned

I've watched 40 years of this climate change nonsense.
Academics justifying their existence end governments using it as a way to introduce new taxes.
Carbon taxes will fix the world,, ye right
Man hasn't been around long enough and records don't go back far enough, who cause the last ice age??
Nobody, the earth will regulate itself with the helping hand ofGod
03-05-2019, 21:40   #13
Rosie Rant

We're f*cked, lads!
Thanks from:
03-05-2019, 21:41   #14
bluewolf
Category Moderator

What's the name in bio systems for when the domino effect kinda hits the critical point there's no coming back from. i thought it was getting worse and we're approaching that
cascade! that one

There probably is a political drive behind it, taxes etc, but it's an awful lot to gamble on

Last edited by bluewolf; 03-05-2019 at 21:44.
(2) thanks from:
03-05-2019, 21:42   #15
buried

Lot of these people making a living out of the global warming fear factory, the likes of the politicians and scientists are up on jet airliners in the first class section all weeks of the year helping spew jet airline fuel emissions into the very sky they telling us all we need to protect. This is where you can literally witness the bull$hit. If they honestly care so much why don't they start walking and swimming to get to their worldwide gigs?
That because they don't. Its nothing but a gig. It probably is happening, but these f**kers don't actually care.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion