Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Mary + Rainbows = Prison

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Billy86 wrote: »
    Jack, I think it goes without saying that a rainbow typically represents the LGBT community - who have been marginalised in Poland and are increasingly being done so under a very pro Catholic political party and establishment.

Are you saying this is your defense of her being arrested?

I’m saying that it’s your attempt to play down the significance and impact of this particular individuals actions against a religious community. Your attempted playing down is very similar to her own defence of her actions -

WARSAW, Poland — Rights groups and government critics in Poland protested Tuesday after police temporarily detained a human rights activist for putting up posters depicting the country’s most revered Catholic icon with the LGBT rainbow on the halos of Mary and baby Jesus.

Prosecutors in the central city of Plock said the woman has been questioned and has heard charges of insulting religious feelings and desecration of the icon of Mother of God of Czestochowa, popularly known as the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, a painting housed at the Jasna Gora monastery in the city in southern Poland since the 14th-century.

The activist, 51-year-old Elzbieta Podlesna, last month placed posters with altered images of the icon on walls, garbage bins and mobile toilets near St. Dominik’s church in Plock. She did not physically damage the icon, which was venerated by pontiffs including Pope John Paul II.

“This is certainly not an attack on religion, certainly not an attack on faith, this is not a form of attack,” she said.

“How can you attack anyone using a picture, let’s be serious,” she added.

If I’m willing to acknowledge the significance of the rainbow as representative of the LGBT community, then you should be willing to acknowledge the significance of the Virgin Mary to the Catholic community, and more specifically the Black Madonna of Czestochowa to Catholics in Poland. Elzbieta Podlesna certainly was, and that’s exactly why she used it.

She was aware of the reaction her behaviour would cause, it was deliberate provocation, and she knew it was unlawful to do so. It stands to reason that she would be arrested, detained and questioned for her actions in a country where her actions were unlawful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

paw patrol wrote: »
    If they are her pics she can do as she pleases (if I was in charge).
    Free Speech is free speech

Free speech would be her saying something like, "I think the Virgin Mary would be ok with LGBT." Abusing icons the way she did is akin to someone painting anti-gay images on the front of the George bar, which would be equally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Bit of a difference here though, that woman won't be going to prison

Depends... How long is she going to prison?
    A token in and out spell like in Ireland... Plenty of people have done that in principle rather than pay a fine for Irish water etc.

Whereas losing an annual contract might approach €100k in lost salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember talking to some people from a mixture of Eastern European counties at college. They came in the mid 2000's the one thing they told me was they were amazed at how gay we were here and how people were so open about it. They couldn't get there heads around it compared to being at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Has the legislation here actually been removed yet btw?
    I know we'd a referendum, but that only removed the constitutional requirement to have a law.

I know there's a bill in progress but has it actually been passed yet?

As AFAIK until that happens it's still there.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

You can't force your own agenda on to some elses deeply held beliefs and expect no blowback.

You can't photoshop a poster to attempt to rewrite tradition, history and religion to suit your own selfish needs. You don't see any big multinationals using Jesus to sell their products.

Lmfao. What ever happened to that St. Nicholas guy?

The devil for halloween?

Oh man I could go on, but the bible is public domain for cheap characters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

She should be made to elaborate on what imaginary wrongs are being inflicted on these people, and then apologise to those she offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

El_Bee wrote: »

Mmm, That was wrong and so is this. I would say that the story you linked was worse. Mohamed shagged a girl who was the same age as the kids that Brendan Smith diddled. That makes him a pedo by any sensible reasoning. That's why blasphemy laws are stupid.

Whatever about the standards of the time, if Aisha didn't have tits and wasn't bleeding out her whatever, then she was off limits and it shouldn't be a crime to say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's hard to be outraged about any of this.
    I don't feel strongly about either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Mmm, That was wrong and so is this. I would say that the story you linked was worse. Mohamed shagged a girl who was the same age as the kids that Brendan Smith diddled. That makes him a pedo by any sensible reasoning. That's why blasphemy laws are stupid.

Whatever about the standards of the time, if Aisha didn't have tits and wasn't bleeding out her whatever, then she was off limits and it shouldn't be a crime to say so.

Exactly. My objection to this is that blasphemy should apply equally to all religions if the ECHR can find in this way. Same for all, whether open season or protection.

Other than that I don't think strongly about this, if police had not got involved she would have been fairly invisible, exercised her demonstration and been forgotten. Now she is a cause célèbre, which is silly. It's not as if this arty protest is in any way astonishing or clever, it looked like a Bosco level effort.

I remember a good while back when Pussy Riot got arrested in Russia and how so many spoke out to defend them. Thought it was ugly and did not find them to be supportable. There is something childish in such attempts at transgression. Just make your valid protests on their own merits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement