Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MoneyConf leaves Ireland

• 08-03-2019 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Looks like Paddy is at it again, MoneyConf will no longer happen in Dublin.
    "We feel strongly that a conference with as much potential as MoneyConf, is deserving of a more prominent position on a more global stage," said Paddy Cosgrave. "We decided now was the right time to take action, to deliver an even better experience for everyone involved."

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0308/1035183-moneyconf-web-summit/

Should Ireland be doing more to keep Paddy happy? 💣

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0308/1035183-moneyconf-web-summit/

It’s being merged with the web summit , sounds like it wasn’t too successful or web summit isn’t getting the numbers and needs a boost

A svengali in bolloxology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I doubt very many will notice it gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭thomil

I doubt very many will notice it gone.

I didn't even know that thing existed...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Never Heard, Never Knew. But yeah.....ITS AN OUTRAGE

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

While I had never heard of this, if another international networking fest is leaving due to shoddy structural support it should be taken seriously. 5000 people who have a measure of influence and power will take note. When a country (or city) gets a reputation for being hard work it tends to be remembered.

from earlier article on this event
    Over 5,000 people are expected to descend on the RDS in Dublin over the next three days as Europe's largest cryptocurrency and fintech event, MoneyConf, returns to Ireland.

The event, which started in 2015, is organised by the team behind Web Summit.

Speakers include the founders and CEOs of some of the world's largest fintech companies and global banks.

While I had never heard of this, if another international networking fest is leaving due to shoddy structural support it should be taken seriously. 5000 people who have a measure of influence and power will take note. When a country (or city) gets a reputation for being hard work it tends to be remembered.

Nothing to do with shoddy infrastructure. Paddy doesn’t like to spend money.
    Looks for volunteers , interns to work events , privides food that the Frye festival would be ashamed for charging for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Alessandra Yellow Tangent

Bye Paddy

Cryptocurrency. Just what is this craic based on?

Because actual currency is now based on nothing but paper promissory notes that have no value except what we are told they are. Which could all fall on top of its ar$e in the morning. Which it did again just a few years ago

So whats backing this cryptocurrency craic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

ted1 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with shoddy infrastructure. Paddy doesn’t like to spend money.
    Looks for volunteers , interns to work events , privides food that the Frye festival would be ashamed for charging for.

The food at websummit one year was outrageous. Got Bord Bia to shaft some woefully underprepared small Irish food producers into a loaves and fishes job making food for thousands of attendees and Paddy tried to sell it off as promoting Irish food. He'd sell his own mother

deisedude wrote: »
    The food at websummit one year was outrageous. Got Bord Bia to shaft some woefully underprepared small Irish food producers into a loaves and fishes job making food for thousands of attendees and Paddy tried to sell it off as promoting Irish food. He'd sell his own mother

That’s the one I’m thinking off, he charged plenty for that food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Self satisfied tosser if ever there was one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Good riddance to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Pathetic infrastructure, poor value for money for visitors. Not surprised ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Pathetic infrastructure, poor value for money for visitors. Not surprised ...

Is Ireland a Third World country? 🤔

Is Ireland a Third World country? 🀔

Can’t afford to lock up dangerous criminals, provide basic waste water services, massive leaks in water mains. Pathetic infrastructure. People dying on trolleys etc. certainly third world characteristics...

Can’t afford to lock up dangerous criminals, provide basic waste water services, massive leaks in water mains. Pathetic infrastructure. People dying on trolleys etc. certainly third world characteristics...

You need to travel more. Compare our infrastructure to other countries and then look at population density.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

buried wrote: »
    Cryptocurrency. Just what is this craic based on?

Because actual currency is now based on nothing but paper promissory notes that have no value except what we are told they are. Which could all fall on top of its ar$e in the morning. Which it did again just a few years ago

So whats backing this cryptocurrency craic?
    All cryptocurrencies are unique and special.

So far it's mostly been speculation and evading or avoiding tax and currency controls. And making sure the punters feel that the miners aren't a cartel.

You can even buy bitcoin futures or rather things that aren't bitcoin futures but priced as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

these things have a shelf life . I remember being at cebit in the late nineties 17 halls of tech it's gone after 33 years.
    I suspect it's not pulling in the numbers and he'll get a,few more years combining it with the web summit.
    so fair play if keeps his business going a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Away to Sub-Saharan Africa with you so!

Or is it the daily mail we should send you?

All cryptocurrencies are unique and special.

So far it's mostly been speculation and evading or avoiding tax and currency controls. And making sure the punters feel that the miners aren't a cartel.

You can even buy bitcoin futures or rather things that aren't bitcoin futures but priced as such.

It sounds like modern Padre Pio holy chicken blood towel relics to me man.

ted1 wrote: »
    You need to travel more. Compare our infrastructure to other countries and then look at population density.

I’ll look at Dublin and compare it to similar sized European cities that have multiple metro and light rail lines. Housing crisis, transport crisis, health crisis ... same old really!

Eh was moneyconf ever in Dublin? I went to the first and it was in Belfast. After that it moved to Madrid.

How can it be leaving Dublin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

About 5,000 of them won't have have any significant influence. These events are all huff and puff in reality. People will look to the likes of Dublin as the home of Facebook, Google, Hubspot etc etc... all expanding. They're not going to pay much attention to the owner of a gimmicky event throwing his toys out of the pram.

I’ll look at Dublin and compare it to similar sized European cities that have multiple metro and light rail lines. Housing crisis, transport crisis, health crisis ... same old really!

Housing crisis is a result of our success. Show me another European city that has grown so much employment over such a short span of time.

What health crisis ? No different than any other country.
    Transport , Yeo it sucks again a problem of our own success

Dublin sells herself naturally as the dank auld night-time magical town from the likes of the great James Joyce novels. And she still has it. That's the real attraction for everybody what goes there, even if they don't know it. The city may not even know it herself, but it still has it. To hell with these cryptowebwankers. Let em off

Advertisement