Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal!

Options
  • 04-08-2019 3:33pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Heading for Malin Head next weekend, plenty of walking, eating and drinking..

If anyone has any recommendations for around that area, I'd be very grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Clonmany festival just started yesterday and will continue until next week. Always a good atmosphere and crowd. There is a gorgeous waterfall outside Clonmany called Glenevin waterfall. Nice walk up to it. The Famine village is worth a visit, in the Isle of Doagh. Also Dunree Fort. Fabulous scenery. All this can be visited by following the Inishowen 100 route(probably part of the Wild Atlantic way). I grew up around here and am currently visiting for a few days. Ask away if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nice beaches:
    Culdaff
    Lagg 5 finger strand

Nice places to eat (restaurants /pub grub):
    Seaview Tavern, Malin Head
    McGrorys, Culdaff
    Butterbean, Carndonagh

Café :
    Claire the Baker, Carndonagh

Pubs :
    Again McGrorys,
    Farrens in malin Head (with yoda on side)
    Plenty in Carndonagh only a few miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hope you brought your brolly :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭maebee

We're heading to Donegal tomorrow, staying at the Villa Rose Hotel in Ballybofey. Any recommendations for day trips from there? I've heard that Slieve League is lovely and also been advised to visit Murder Hole Beach. We've never been to Donegal before and are looking forward to it (despite the weather forecast:(). All recommendations welcome. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

If you're heading to Slieve League, take the left fork after the Blue Haven Bar/Restaurant - will take you scenic route into Kilcar, and from there to the cliffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Don't miss Glenveagh National Park.

JoannieG wrote: »

Thanks Joannie. That looks to be quite near where we're staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Heading to Sligo next week and will be taking a few trips up into Donegal, I want see Slieve League. Any suggestions on somewhere for dinner on the way back to Sligo? Anywhere in Donegal town or Ballyshannon worth checking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I normally ask people to have a look at this map. Might be the odd thing off here and there but well worth a browse.

Seamai wrote: »
    Heading to Sligo next week and will be taking a few trips up into Donegal, I want see Slieve League. Any suggestions on somewhere for dinner on the way back to Sligo? Anywhere in Donegal town or Ballyshannon worth checking out?

Henry's Bar and Restaurant, between Grange and Drumcliff. Never had a bad meal there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

donegal town, la bella donna, la fiesta mexican restaurant (wed -sun)

but id recommend pre booking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

wait, there's a mexican restuarant in Donegal town? no way! i love mexican food!

Beanstalk wrote: »
    wait, there's a mexican restuarant in Donegal town? no way! i love mexican food!

And it's excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Beanstalk wrote: »

run by a mexican no less

https://www.facebook.com/La-Fiesta-Mexican-Restaurant-234222447083902

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Fusion Bistro above supervalue in Killybegs

Excellent food

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Harrisons at Cliffoney. It's on the main road [N16] Lovely food, we always stop there on way back from Donegal.

Thanks for this gem of a tip Joannie. We spent about 4 hours there yesterday, taking in the (long but worthwhile) walk to the castle. The sun was out and not a drop of rain.

We then took the coast road to Murder Hole beach, where we saw what surely is the most spectacular scenery in Ireland.

I would highly recommend Donegal for a visit - just now now though :eek:

maebee wrote: »
    Thanks for this gem of a tip Joannie. We spent about 4 hours there yesterday, taking in the (long but worthwhile) walk to the castle. The sun was out and not a drop of rain.

We then took the coast road to Murder Hole beach, where we saw what surely is the most spectacular scenery in Ireland.

I would highly recommend Donegal for a visit - just now now though :eek:
    Glenveagh is very dear to me. I was brought up there - my mother was the cook and housekeeper for Mr. McIlhenny. I think it's just heaven on earth, even with the midges! :) So glad that you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Glenveagh is very dear to me. I was brought up there - my mother was the cook and housekeeper for Mr. McIlhenny. I think it's just heaven on earth, even with the midges! :) So glad that you enjoyed it.

So good to see a positive and kindly post these days. Yes Glenveagh is magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nostalgia here... I lived many years in Donegal. Loved it but ran out of rentals and hated leaving . so had to leave.. However before that I lived in Mayo and live here again and love it even more... Ireland is lovely!

west mayo offshore

• Advertisement
Advertisement