Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find grandfathers birth year

Options
  • 05-08-2019 11:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

My mother and family have been unable to find my grandfathers birth year who recently died, he was born in Philadelphia USA around 1927-1930, I don't understand how his father didn't tell him his birth year, he moved back as a baby around that time.
    I have an Ancestry membership and found nothing.

If anyone happens to know anymore sites i would be grateful if you could try to find any information.

James McGlade
    father - John McGlade
    mother - Bridget McGlade (Holmes)
    Bellaghy Co.Derry, but probably Christened in USA
    Married around August 1957 Moneyglass, Co.Antrim

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Here or in NI:
    Passenger lists
    School records in Derry
    Records in the church he married
    Any military service might have a birth date
    Passport application?

US:
    Try track the church of the baptism in Philadelphia?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You might get an exact age/DOB on his marriage certificate in 1957. You'll have to go into GRONI to get it though as that decade is not in their online resources.

Have you checked the 1930 US census?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

pinkypinky wrote: »
    You might get an exact age/DOB on his marriage certificate in 1957. You'll have to go into GRONI to get it though as that decade is not in their online resources.

Have you checked the 1930 US census?

I think my aunt got access to 2 certificates and both had a different date on them, that was some government office or something they rang. I haven't checked that census but i'm sure they were gone by then.

Finding his mother on the census would provide answers as his mother died aged 36 when he was 12, the problem is that there are many people called Bridget Holmes in Ballina Mayo.

spurious wrote: »
    Here or in NI:
    Passenger lists
    School records in Derry
    Records in the church he married
    Any military service might have a birth date
    Passport application?

US:
    Try track the church of the baptism in Philadelphia?

He didn't have a passport, nothing came up on ancestry.com regarding passenger lists. I don't know about church records, that is the confusing thing, given that his children didn't know his age then that must mean he didn't know his age either, it was a bit of an unusual family set up as his mother died young and was sent to live with his aunts and grandmother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Finding his mother on the census would provide answers as his mother died aged 36 when he was 12, the problem is that there are many people called Bridget Holmes in Ballina Mayo.

Was she born in Ballina? If so there are only a couple in the 1911 census that age-wise could be her.

Checked NI records.....
    could she have been 39 and died in 1937?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Was she born in Ballina? If so there are only a couple in the 1911 census that age-wise could be her.

Checked NI records.....
    could she have been 39 and died in 1937?

I found out today that my mother had the surname wrong, for years we thought it was Holmes but it was really Shevlin, Holmes was the name of the local pub or something. I was able to find her in the census from Tullaghanbaun, Mayo, I was then able to link her to the same person on a ship that was going from Cobh to New York because her brother was also mentioned on the ship record, then I was able to find her again when she was going from New York to Derry 4 years later with my grandfather as a baby, however there was no mention of her husband on the ship or any other records, there is a photo of them both together in the house though, it is a very old glass photo sort of thing, probably framed at the time.

Advertisement