Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carrera Crossfire 2 or Subway 2 and what frame size?

Options
  • 13-08-2020 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am thinking of buying either the Carrera Crossfire 2 or Subway 2 from Halfords. I don't know much about bicycles and was hoping someone could offer some advice as to which is better. I mainly want to use the bike for commuting to work and exercise on weekends.

I'm also confused by Halfords bike frame sizing guide. I'm 178cm in height (5'10), which seems to be in between a Medium and Large sized frame for those bikes. In that situation, is it better to go for a larger or smaller frame?

If you think they both suck, i'd love to hear some other recommendations. My budget is 450 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

DoJo91 wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying either the Carrera Crossfire 2 or Subway 2 from Halfords. I don't know much about bicycles and was hoping someone could offer some advice as to which is better. I mainly want to use the bike for commuting to work and exercise on weekends.

I'm also confused by Halfords bike frame sizing guide. I'm 178cm in height (5'10), which seems to be in between a Medium and Large sized frame for those bikes. In that situation, is it better to go for a larger or smaller frame?

If you think they both suck, i'd love to hear some other recommendations. My budget is 450 euro.

If you have no plans for cycling off-road I wouldn't get the crossfire. I am intending to get a subway but none are in stock. The sizing is available on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

buy medium anyways. easier to make a bike slightly small for you bigger with a stem change. (bit that hold the handle bars)

DoJo91 wrote: »

Halfords have a Carrera Parva in stock. Looks similar to the Subway except it has v brakes instead of disc brakes. It's cheaper though.

For the budget you could get something in the Giant - Escape or Trek - FX ranges. They would be decent bikes and likely have better frames and components and almost certainly 2-3kg lighter at least.

If you upped the budget a little you could get a hydraulic disc brake model in those rages for about €530 or so last I checked.

If pushed on choosing one of the Halfords ones, I'd go with the Subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Had a rim-braked Subway 1 about 10 years ago - cracking "off to the shops" bike, couldn't fault it. Saddle was a bit soft is about the only negative I can remember.

I'd happily commute on one, it is a very versatile rothar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Yeah as mentioned a giant or trek would be a better bike.
    2nd hand would even get you a better bike yet again.

On a side note are Mechanical or Hydraulic disc breaks worth it? I heard they are high maintenance.

Advertisement