Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year driving ban

Options
  • 12-08-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

There's a high chance I will get a 1 year driving ban.

Do I have to tell my insurance company? Or can I keep paying it (obvioulsy without driving anywhere) then once my ban is over continue as before.

If I am required to tell them what would the possible consequences be?

I currently have 6 years no claims, 3 named and 3 in my own name. Will I be able to keep these?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Insurance is provided based on "utmost good faith".
    If you fail to disclose a driving ban then expect no insurer to ever touch you in future at all.

You're obliged to keep your insurance company abreast of any changes in your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rebell

Has anyone had to inform there insurance of a 1 year ban, if so how much more did your insurance cost after the fact. I'm currently paying 800 and am wondering how much this could be increased by, at least roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rebell wrote: »
    Has anyone had to inform there insurance of a 1 year ban, if so how much more did your insurance cost after the fact. I'm currently paying 800 and am wondering how much this could be increased by, at least roughly

I have no direct experience of this but as nobody has responded in the past 24 hours, I can tell you what I recall from previous threads here.....

Your premium will leap to three or four thousand Euro and nobody other than your current insurer will quote you when your ban expires.

And do not entertain the notion of parking your car up for the duration but not informing your insurance because the 'cover' you think you have after the ban expires won't be worth the paper the cert. is printed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suggest you mail or ring your insurer and ask once the ban is certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

There is no set loading, for what I presume is a drink driving conviction. It depends on the circumstances. i.e. level of alcohol, was there an accident, is there also going to be an associated charge for speeding or careless driving etc

Very unlikely that an insurer will give you anything but the roughest indication of what way they will treat it in a year's time, but a best case scenario would be a doubling of the premium

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

coylemj wrote: »
    I have no direct experience of this but as nobody has responded in the past 24 hours, I can tell you what I recall from previous threads here.....

Your premium will leap to three or four thousand Euro and nobody other than your current insurer will quote you when your ban expires.

And do not entertain the notion of parking your car up for the duration but not informing your insurance because the 'cover' you think you have after the ban expires won't be worth the paper the cert. is printed on.

+1
    https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

The other problem is that the loading will carry for several years, and the question on the form that says
    Have you ever been refused or given a serious loading ( or how ever it is worded) will be there for at least 5 years.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

..... a best case scenario would be a doubling of the premium

Which in the OP’s case would mean a premium jump from €800 (see post #4) to (your best case) €1,600. I think that would be setting unrealistic expectations.

coylemj wrote: »
    Which in the OP’s case would mean a premium jump from €800 (see post #4) to (your best case) €1,600. I think that would be setting unrealistic expectations.

100% loading at the lower end of circumstances, is realistic

100% loading at the lower end of circumstances, is realistic

But the OP's case is not in that zone.

The lower end of the scale is when you get a pulled over by the Gardai and you fall into one of these categories ....

(a) 51mg to 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (b) 68mg to 107mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine
    (c) 23mg to 35mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath

you can pay a fine and take a 3 months disqualification. The OP says he is looking at a 12 months ban.

• Advertisement

Where did the OP say his expected 1 year ban relates to a single prosecution for drink driving only?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Where did the OP say his expected 1 year ban relates to a single prosecution for drink driving only?

It's suspected drug driving, from the OP's thread in Legal Discussions (and he hasn't received official notification yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cml387 wrote: »
    It's suspected drug driving, from the OP's thread in Legal Discussions (and he hasn't received official notification yet).

oooh, ins Co's ain't going to like that at all.

People suggesting a doubling to €1600 is wildly optimistic imho - I'd expect it to be multiples of that again.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    oooh, ins Co's ain't going to like that at all.

People suggesting a doubling to €1600 is wildly optimistic imho - I'd expect it to be multiples of that again.

Yep, drug driving is treated more seriously than the lower end of drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rebell

cml387 wrote: »

Yeah drug driving. And I fall under scenario 2 of the DUID 6 Scenarios

Link to DUID 6 Scenarios
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Campaigns/Anti%20Drug%20Driving/DUID%206%20Scenarios%20Public%2011%2004%2017.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjx8IH9sJ3rAhU4VRUIHRM8At0QFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1Q_dBB16nGO3ESZlEpF0gr&cshid=1597500469679

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

rebell wrote: »

Even if the policy did not require you to report it now, you would have to report it on renewal and you would be denied insurance as you do not have a valid driving licence. The impact on insurance will depend on part on the reason for the ban: reaching 6 points as a novice, 12 points as an experienced driver or a ban for alcohol, drugs or some other reason. Insurers will apply different leadings based on your experience and the reason for the ban. Some may decline to quote at all.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Even if the policy did not require you to report it now, you would have to report it on renewal and you would be denied insurance as you do not have a valid driving licence.

There is no policy out there which does not require you to immediately report the fact when you or any named driver on your policy gets a driving ban.

Advertisement