Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats. Lots of rats.

Options
  • 10-08-2020 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭

Living in the countryside we know there are obviously lots of rats about, but we've seldom seen any in our garden, I think once in 17 years. Now all of a sudden we've seen five or six this afternoon. Not what we wanted to see obviously, is there any reason they'd all appear at once? We do have overgrown grass and wild flower beds but they've also been there for ten plus years. Really don't know what to do.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Living in the countryside we know there are obviously lots of rats about, but we've seldom seen any in our garden, I think once in 17 years. Now all of a sudden we've seen five or six this afternoon. Not what we wanted to see obviously, is there any reason they'd all appear at once? We do have overgrown grass and wild flower beds but they've also been there for ten plus years. Really don't know what to do.

Any local building work nearby recently? They cleared a field about 1-2km from us back in March to start building... The place was overrun with rats afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any local building work nearby recently? They cleared a field about 1-2km from us back in March to start building... The place was overrun with rats afterwards.

Yeah they are actually. They are doing building work about same distance away. How do I get rid of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Terriers, traps, or making sure there’s no food for them and they should move on.

Yeah they are actually. They are doing building work about same distance away. How do I get rid of them though.

In the end... I didn't do anything and it seems they moved on :)
    The main points I read at the time was.. don't feed them. We had been feeding birds, but stopped leaving any food out for them (no need from March on anyway).

In the end... I didn't do anything and it seems they moved on :)
    The main points I read at the time was.. don't feed them. We had been feeding birds, but stopped leaving any food out for them (no need from March on anyway).

Yeah we've been feeding the birds, stopped now, so fingers toes and everything else crossed they go.

So far this year we have sparrow's in the roof, bees in the loft, the odd shrew in the utility room. Could take all them, but rats is just a step too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

So far this year we have sparrow's in the roof, bees in the loft, the odd shrew in the utility room. Could take all them, but rats is just a step too far.

That's unusual. Was always of the opinion that shrews were very adverse to entering houses. Unless helped by a cat of course which happens in our house from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Loads of rats in Herbert Park too...the Dodder workings have impacted the fox habitat in the banks or the river, you hardly see any fox (alive) now, and rats are benefiting from it.

Yeah we've been feeding the birds, stopped now, so fingers toes and everything else crossed they go.

The first day we were sitting having dinner and I saw the rat out side the door looking in at us... I am sure they get a bad rep, but he put me off my dinner that day :pac:

That's unusual. Was always of the opinion that shrews were very adverse to entering houses. Unless helped by a cat of course which happens in our house from time to time.

We had a shrew in daughters room about 3 years ago. Then nothing, then four all in space of 2 days in the utility room. We must have a lot around us because a couple of times I've had to fish dead ones from storm water drains when the grill thing wasn't properly fitting. I can cope with them, we've got a catch and release trap for them now.
    The first day we were sitting having dinner and I saw the rat out side the door looking in at us... I am sure they get a bad rep, but he put me off my dinner that day :pac:

Yeah, must say we've had better days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Probably white toothed shrew. Bigger than pygmy shrews. They often come indoors. Actually chased one out the front door about two weeks ago. Huge amount of them here in Offaly.

• Advertisement

Eddie B wrote: »
    Probably white toothed shrew. Bigger than pygmy shrews. They often come indoors. Actually chased one out the front door about two weeks ago. Huge amount of them here in Offaly.

I thought they were pygmy shrews we had but must confess I'm not very up on my shrews. Nippy little feckers I know that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

when I moved here almost four years ago, the dwelling was clear of anything. But my biggest cat took up residence by the gate and almost every day I found a dead rat, one of them the size of a well grown kitten. he cleared the lot out. There was a well-established rat run there. Never a problem since. This has happened in a few of my deep rural houses. I would never be without a good cat .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I saw a masive one along the Dodder this morning, for a second I thought it was a Pine Marten.

gzoladz wrote: »
    I saw a masive one along the Dodder this morning, for a second I thought it was a Pine Marten.

Yep' I was so glad the huge one I saw was dead! I had no idea rats could get to that size. Not a mark on it either; maybe it died of fright when it saw Boycat. He is a big bruiser of a cat and long haired. Gentle as they come unless you are a rat.

This is freaky!

I had not seen a rat for many months, When I went to the gate just now? A dead rat . Medium sized!

Graces7 wrote: »
    This is freaky!

I had not seen a rat for many months, When I went to the gate just now? A dead rat . Medium sized!

I wonder if they're reading boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 helsbells

I was at my front door a few minutes ago and out of the corner of my eye saw something move .... Saw a big huge rat walking out the driveway ... then he stopped and turned round and walked back into the driveway !!!!!!

Will have to buy and set traps tomorrow ...

Freaked out 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

helsbells wrote: »
    I was at my front door a few minutes ago and out of the corner of my eye saw something move .... Saw a big huge rat walking out the driveway ... then he stopped and turned round and walked back into the driveway !!!!!!

Will have to buy and set traps tomorrow ...

Freaked out ��

That was phil Hogan, he got lost returning from Cliften :)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Now is the time of year to be laying poison

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I wonder if they're reading boards.

Lol! I see reports rural, urban and islander (hi Graces, hope you're doing well) about an increased rat presence. I flagged this in April regarding city rodents and the loss of food due to restaurant closures and the flotsam and jetsam in back alleys that they thrive on.

I was hoping local wildlife (raptors and foxes) would sort it out, but since lockdown there's been rat invasions throughout the cities.

• Advertisement

Blowheads wrote: »
    Now is the time of year to be laying poison

Not with birds etc around . Traps by all means but not into the food chain to kill indiscriminately please.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Lol! I see reports rural, urban and islander (hi Graces, hope you're doing well) about an increased rat presence. I flagged this in April regarding city rodents and the loss of food due to restaurant closures and the flotsam and jetsam in back alleys that they thrive on.

I was hoping local wildlife (raptors and foxes) would sort it out, but since lockdown there's been rat invasions throughout the cities.

Out here no food outlets! I think that they just tried using their age old run … Tough! Boycat, my oldest and best ratter, lurks by that run. POW!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Very effective home made poison is Dry plaster and something sweet
    See #3. Very effective I hear

https://dengarden.com/pest-control/how-to-keep-rats-out-of-a-home-

The danger of Over the counter rodent poison is you end up poisoning animals
    That eat the poisoned dead rodents, like your Cat !

worded wrote: »
    Very effective home made poison is Dry plaster and something sweet
    See #3. Very effective I hear

https://dengarden.com/pest-control/how-to-keep-rats-out-of-a-home-

The danger of Over the counter rodent poison is you end up poisoning animals
    That eat the poisoned dead rodents, like your Cat !

I honestly would not use that as other critters and birds would fancy it... Actually my cats never eat the rats they kill; they bring them entire to me.

A good rat trap is best and humane. Rats cannot help being rats and having plaster set inside you must be sheer agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

I honestly would not use that as other critters and birds would fancy it... Actually my cats never eat the rats they kill; they bring them entire to me.

A good rat trap is best and humane. Rats cannot help being rats and having plaster set inside you must be sheer agony.

I agree with you, no deadly poison is going to be Pleasent. Bit a lot of ppl will be conflicted as they breed so quick and are vectors.

A local cat was sick and a vet said partially eating a poisoned rodent was suspected. The cat recovered. If someone is goi to use poison at least use something that targets the species and doesn’t affect others. That’s why I posted that plaster idea.

What type of trap would you use?
    Capture and release? God you’d want to be brave to have a live rat in a cage and where to release it?

worded wrote: »
    I agree with you, no deadly poison is going to be Pleasent. Bit a lot of ppl will be conflicted as they breed so quick and are vectors.

A local cat was sick and a vet said partially eating a poisoned rodent was suspected. The cat recovered. If someone is goi to use poison at least use something that targets the species and doesn’t affect others. That’s why I posted that plaster idea.

What type of trap would you use?
    Capture and release? God you’d want to be brave to have a live rat in a cage and where to release it?

The plaster sets in the rat's insides and will be agony. That is how it slowly kills

If I needed a trap it would be a sudden death type snap trap. The one time I used a trap and release mouse trap they learned how to reverse and reopen the door, and the one time I hand caught a mouse and released it, it came back next day with all its mates.

As I have excellent ratters that is this solved! Also they never entered the house

There was one house I lived in where I could hear rats in the roof space, then they started getting into the house at night to steal food off an older deaf cat. So I changed the cat to a feisty younger on and was woken by screams in the night,

When I got the courage to investigate there was a very dead rat covered in blood and the young cat shaking, End of rats there.

Hate killing but if needful then a quick unexpected death.

Just apologised to a large dead rat as I removed it from by the gate where the cat had left it.

They have the prettiest little white feet.

Not their fault they are rats; just is we cannot safely share our space with them; maybe they feel the same... :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

jack russel dogs kill them
    have you gor compost heap ot water cut down grass cut off food and water supply

https://www.bhg.com.au/how-to-get-rid-of-rats-in-your-garden

The thing is that rats do fulfil a needful function in disposing of dead critters in the wild. They are efficient machines. In the right place. Like any critters.

• Advertisement

Out here no food outlets! I think that they just tried using their age old run … Tough! Boycat, my oldest and best ratter, lurks by that run. POW!

My neighbour, who owns the land around this place, has recently pointed out that the rat run carries on into the field next door. These runs are ancient. and they never abandon them . So they were en route to somewhere when my cats nabbed them.

So the cats remain ON GUARD!

NB the rats were never thus interested in this place!

Advertisement