Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welsh Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Cut the tour to 64 players, do away with best of 7s, problem solved.

I'd be for that. You could have a really good secondary tour with a proper promotion/relegation system. They should have concentrated on building up the tour, developing more quality players before thinking about a 128 tour. Big mistake imo but hearn basically does what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I think many lower ranked players might prefer it too. On a “B” tour they’d play far more matches, get deeper into tournaments, against players of their standard, giving them a proper chance to develop. Longer matches too. What good is playing 1 match, losing 4-1, every 2 weeks.

Yeah. Too many players locked into a cycle of defeat, losing matches, making no money. Cant see any future in that. Billy Joe Castle won four matches all season, gets pasted by trump today. Nothing to be gained in that at all i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I would never call Fergal a journeyman as he's a constant in the game for three decades. I'm just disappointed that he cant put a few wins together in some tournament for what seems like an eternity. He's obviously a good player so it makes it all the harder to understand his very poor record in the last decade. Would be nice to see him more on Eurosport, BBC or ITV getting to a semi final or quarter final or whatever. Instead of this early loss in nearly every tournament. I respect Fergal. He's doing something we would all love: playing snooker for a living. It would be a dream job for me. I'm sure we are all craving the next big snooker player from Ireland. It would be nice to row in behind the Lucan cueist and see him threaten a bit of a silverware for a change.

Yeah. Too many players locked into a cycle of defeat, losing matches, making no money. Cant see any future in that. Billy Joe Castle won four matches all season, gets pasted by trump today. Nothing to be gained in that at all i think.

I know playing Trump must be daunting but Billy Castles was so poor today i felt i could have knicked a frame off him myself. Some of his misses were scarcely believable. Highest break 31.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I would never call Fergal a journeyman as he's a constant in the game for three decades. I'm just disappointed that he cant put a few wins together in some tournament for what seems like an eternity. He's obviously a good player so it makes it all the harder to understand his very poor record in the last decade. Would be nice to see him more on Eurosport, BBC or ITV getting to a semi final or quarter final or whatever. Instead of this early loss in nearly every tournament. I respect Fergal. He's doing something we would all love: playing snooker for a living. It would be a dream job for me. I'm sure we are all craving the next big snooker player from Ireland. It would be nice to row in behind the Lucan cueist and see him threaten a bit of a silverware for a change.

I think you're describing a journey man. Been on tour but hasn't threatened silverware in decades...

I hear he's a good lad. Never heard anyone say a word against him personally. And I'd love to see him do well. But that's separate from him having been a journey man

I know playing Trump must be daunting but Billy Castles was so poor today i felt i could have knicked a frame off him myself. Some of his misses were scarcely believable. Highest break 31.

I only watched first couple of frames, he didnt get many chances and was 2-0 down in a flash, probably drained of confidence. Doubt he's that promising but tv table against world no.1, lot of players would underperform in those circumstances i reckon.

The arena for this Welsh Open looks very nice i must say. Would like to attend one of the Home Nations this year or next. The Welsh is my preferred one and i do remember some good finals down the years.

Mark Williams win 4-2. Be good to see him.have a run this week. Class act.

A lot of the big names winning so far this week. Ronnie and Robertson both out later this evening. Tomorrow the field will be reduced from 32 to 8 with players having to play twice. 'Moving day' Goldstein called it. A snooker fest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Ken isn't there on merit. Am i right in saying he was given a wild card to make the tour along with Jimmy White? If thats the case i dont think he should be there at all.

Ken got a two year wild card and well deserved if you ask me, but that’s it if he doesn’t stay in the 64 then he can have no complaints. He’s done well and has a very lucrative contract with the BBC so he’ll be okay. Jimmy white in the other hand seems to get the wildcards for fun ! Perhaps it’s time for the Wind to call it a day ?

Since 2010 John Higgins has won the Welsh Open a remarkable 4 times. With Ronnie winning twice. Other winners have been Stephen Maguire, Ding, Robertson and Stuart Bingham. Pretty impressive list of winners.

Ken is playing Higgins now but it's only in the Eurosport Player. Pity it wasn't on after Ronnie's match instead of Robertson v Joyce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie now going on like he cares about it and being all focused in his interview?!? Such a weird dude.

Ronnie saying about playing Stuart Carrington that all players on the circuit are good and have their assets. Beats calling them numpties anyway😀

Ronnie wins 4-2. Played well in patches. Carrington will rue missing a good chance to go 3-1 ahead but once Ronnie restored parity he never looked in bother.

Sheriff is making this interesting. Chance for 2-0, ronnie yet to pot a ball.

Sheriff misses his chance, ronnie clears. 1-1.

4-2 o'sullivan but far from straightforward. Hamilton had a decent chance to take it into decider but blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

1-0 Figueiredo against Trump, started with his highest pro break of 140. Class break, never out of position, all Trump did was break off.

Game on

• Advertisement

Hamilton had chance to go 2-0, missed it and lost. Figueredo had chance to go 2-0, missed it and looks set to lose as well.

Good weeks snooker so far. Kyren Wilson hit a 147. Most of the big guns playing well. Ronnie looks tuned in. The draw is loaded with heavy hitters. It's shaping up to be a high quality weekend.

The Iranian Vahedi had done most of the hard work in frame 2 by splitting the pack and the balls were in a great position for a frame winning clearance. On 55 he missed an easy black off the spot and left Ronnie back in who eventually made it 2-0. It is quite evidant the gap in standard with the top seeds and those hovering towards the back end of the 128.

Ronnie sailing to victory here. Looking to set up a quarter final clash with his old nemesis Mark Selby, tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Most focused I've seen ROS in almost a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Ronnie nailing the post match interviews this week too! Who is this guy?

Hasn't joked about ranking points once has he? :)

Stephen Maguire said before his first match today that he went out for a few drinks last night. This the night before he would have to play two matches if he was to progress. In my opinion that is unprofessional and not good practise and partly the reason why he's done so little for a man of such talent. When he burst on the scene he was being talked about as a challenger to the likes of Ronnie, Higgins and Williams. I have heard rumours of his late night drinking escapades and would have thought when he matured into his 40s he would ease up a bit the night before a long, hard days snooker. Maybe i'm being harsh here but would any other player been on the lash last night? He could go on and win here but either way going drinking alcohol the night before a match is a big no no.

Trump misses an easy black. Maguire back to 1-2.

If it was "a few drinks" i wouldnt be that bothered. Probably just as bad to be stewing in his hotel room, getting restless and bored. If it was "on the lash" thats obviously a different story, could never recommend that. Maguires temperament always been a fatal weakness though, no getting around that.

• Advertisement

He said a few drinks so who knows. Just dont think.any alcohol is good the night before any type of work. Especially with the two matches. Plenty time to drink tonight when/if he loses. Just my opinion on it. It doesn't look good or sit well with me.

Advertisement