Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insert stove and new flue liner

Options
  • 29-03-2014 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi,

I am logging to install an insert stove (no back boiler) into an existing fireplace.

do I need a new liner or can I use the existing chimney?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

You can use the existing flue liners providing they are in good condition and it passes a smoke test.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

cargen wrote: »
    Hi,

I am logging to install an insert stove (no back boiler) into an existing fireplace.

do I need a new liner or can I use the existing chimney?

thanks

Same as above. The two MAIN reasons to line the chimney are:
    1) Is the Clay liner in good condition.
    2) Is the draw adequate

If both are ok, then you don't 'need' to line it. If either or both are a negative then you must line it.
    Stove manufacturers will always recommend lining the chimney and in truth it is a better job as you will be coming up the chimney with the same diameter flue as the stove and you are also future proofing the chimney as well.
    You should expect to pay €350 (approx) for a single story (6m Liner, Insulation and Cowl fitted) and about €450 for a two story. (9m liner, Insulation and Cowl fitted).

How big is the room you are looking to heat?
    What sort of fireplace have you? Wood/Cast Iron/Granite
    What dimensions is your fire opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 john.jgcork29

Hi,
    I purchased a HOTA insert stove, with an outlet on top to taks a 6inch flexi liner. The installer informs me that it is okay to use a 5inch liner.

Is it okay to reduce the Liner to a 5inch diameter. Wil it affect it's performance in terms of energy output and environmental demands?

I would be grateful if anyone in this forum can advise, before the installation takes place.

JOHN.JGCORK

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Hi,
    I purchased a HOTA insert stove, with an outlet on top to taks a 6inch flexi liner. The installer informs me that it is okay to use a 5inch liner.

Is it okay to reduce the Liner to a 5inch diameter. Wil it affect it's performance in terms of energy output and environmental demands?

I would be grateful if anyone in this forum can advise, before the installation takes place.

JOHN.JGCORK

I had a stanley oisin which had a 5inch flue liner.I changed the stove to a boru boiler stove that required a 6inch flue.I decided to see would the 5inch liner work well enough before changing it,, the stove is still working very well,I never needed to change to a bigger liner.
    Every stove is different with location and outside wind movements all part of your stoves performance.
    The steel pipe from my stove is 6inch and about 700mm length and the 5inch liner fits into the steel pipe in the chimney space

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Same as above. The two MAIN reasons to line the chimney are:
    1) Is the Clay liner in good condition.
    2) Is the draw adequate

If both are ok, then you don't 'need' to line it. If either or both are a negative then you must line it.
    Stove manufacturers will always recommend lining the chimney and in truth it is a better job as you will be coming up the chimney with the same diameter flue as the stove and you are also future proofing the chimney as well.
    You should expect to pay €350 (approx) for a single story (6m Liner, Insulation and Cowl fitted) and about €450 for a two story. (9m liner, Insulation and Cowl fitted).

How big is the room you are looking to heat?
    What sort of fireplace have you? Wood/Cast Iron/Granite
    What dimensions is your fire opening?

how does a liner improve the draw if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 john.jgcork29

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your contributions towards solving my problem viz-a-viz the diameter of Flue liner that should be usedin my new stove.

The stove will fit into a new Granite surround fireplace. The stove size is 7KW. The fire place had an 16inch fire surround. The stove to be fitted will be installed into a single storey Bungalow, with an already poor draw. i.e. the open fire always emitted some element of smoke to room, until it warmed up. We are abungalow surrounded by high buildings, hence our reason why we are changing to a stove.

Would the fitting of the 5inch diameter have an adverse effect on its operation.

I guess the question still remains, whether to fit a 5inch liner recommended by the installer or a 6inch recommended in the literature which accompanied the stove????

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Hi Guys,

I guess the question still remains, whether to fit a 5inch liner recommended by the installer or a 6inch recommended in the literature which accompanied the stove????

If there is a problem with the 5inch then its your fault as you ignored the literature but I don't think it will cause an issue but i could be wrong.The chimney will warm up much quicker with a liner,the hot air and gasses rise and leave and don't linger.The problem you had before with the open fireplace shows that you had an issue with the draught/cold chimney so I would follow the literature and not take the chance
    if the chimney is in the centre of the house it will be warmer than a chimney that is part of an outside wall

Advertisement