Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What changes would you like to see made in Ireland?

• 13-08-2020 3:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

By the government (if they can be arsed to)? I don't think housing will be sorted given that many TD's are landlords and are unlikely to act against their own interests by building houses and lowering thus lowering the average cost of rental units.

For me healthcare would be the main thing. It's funny that as a developed country, people have to pay €60+ to see a GP. We should scrap that and taxes should pay for that.

Also would like the LUAS extended to the airport.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

By the government (if they can be arsed to)? I don't think housing will be sorted given that many TD's are landlords and are unlikely to act against their own interests by building houses and lowering thus lowering the average cost of rental units.

For me healthcare would be the main thing. It's funny that as a developed country, people have to pay €60+ to see a GP. We should scrap that and taxes should pay for that.

Which airport?
    Belfast, Shannon, Knock, Cork.. Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think everyone should have to pay a fee to go to the GP. Cuts down on people going for anything then. I'd rather zero medical cards for that and everyone paying 30 euro each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A proper system that deports failed asylum seekers without delay after 1 appeal

A train link to dublin airport

Enhanced national parks throughout the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Healthcare - make everyone, including politicians, to use the public system.
    Build a prison and lock up criminals, don't let them run around with multiple convictions. Small crimes - two strikes = you're out. Serious crimes - one strike = you're out. Proper sentences, based on guidelines.
    Tackle the claim culture, people should be personally responsible for their actions (and the actions of their kids), make compensations as much cash free as possible (pay bills, not put money into people's accounts).
    Basic childcare to be provided by the state.
    Stop with the nanny state nonsense where I can't get myself a bottle of wine on Sunday morning when I want to make a risotto for lunch (not much of a drinker, but like risotto).

Going to wake up now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I looked at this article that says a quarter of TSs are landlords.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/find-out-if-your-local-td-is-a-landlord-or-owns-multiple-properties-1.3393692
    To me it looks like many own houses, and live in them.

Michael Healy-Ray owns 18 properties.
    I must remember that when he starts talking about the small man.

One boards.ie thread per person per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A fairer “shake” for immigrants and, especially, refugees.

Instead of letting them rot in Direct Provision “centres” they should be welcomed into the community and allowed to contribute.

Would be nice to see more women in prominent positions within our political “sphere”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A fairer “shake” for immigrants and, especially, refugees.

Instead of letting them rot in Direct Provision “centres” they should be welcomed into the community and allowed to contribute.

Would be nice to see more women in prominent positions within our political “sphere”.

Balbriggan is a great example of what you describe for refugees to this country alright. Total ban on MSM about the black gangs terrorising the place. So I don't agree with you on that one.

https://gript.ie/why-the-media-blackout-on-gangs-and-house-burning-in-balbriggan/

I agree about having more women in prominent positions, but on merit not just tokenism.

Anyway I'll probably be carded for contributing the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

How about getting rid of county councils and instituting regional assemblies for less parochialism in Irish politics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There is no conspiracy within our governments to not improve our societies, our failures are largely due to ideological shortcomings, we largely have not accept this yet, particularly at a political level

Travellers having their ethnic minority privileges withdrawn. Pavee Point abolished. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Balbriggan is a great example of what you describe for refugees to this country alright. Total ban on MSM about the black gangs terrorising the place. So I don't agree with you on that one.

https://gript.ie/why-the-media-blackout-on-gangs-and-house-burning-in-balbriggan/

Debunked
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40031435.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Travellers having their ethnic minority privileges withdrawn.

What material difference would that make to you personally or this country generally?

This thread will naturally turn towards grievances people have but they are not listened to at all.

Anti social behaviour of ethnic brethren, dog napping, scrap stealing, rioting gangs, gimme a house for life, no not there, HERE. and so on.

It's natural, those out working or WFH etc. are heartily sick of having to pay for the support of these people, and I say that as someone who has no problem with my taxes being used wisely for those genuinely in need. Generous country we are too.

So Law and Order would be first on my list anyway.

Odhinn wrote: »

Didn't see it in the Indo, IT, or on RTE or Newstalk just the same. Those who take the Examiner in general are not interested in anywhere outside the rebel county anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Total overhaul of the justice system. No more suspended sentences after a first offence. You get one chance to change your ways, no more

eviltwin wrote: »
    Total overhaul of the justice system. No more suspended sentences after a first offence. You get one chance to change your ways, no more

And build more humungous prisons, and stop free legal aid after three offences, yeah right. Sorry that is not aimed at you, just my cynical self emerging.

But if there were any changes like you mention they would be straight off to check out their human rights, innocent until proven guilty and all that. I sometimes just don't think my brain can cope with much more of this perpetrator rights v Victims anymore now. But I'll keep calm hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

As Leo said, but didn’t follow through on his promise, I’d look after those that get up early in the morning.

I don’t want to dole bash, I was unemployed myself for 5 years after 2008, but SW should be a temporary period of assistance and not a way of life.

I think if this is sorted it will also help sort the asylum problem. If everyone has to work for their money and house it will reduce the number of “poor unfortunates”that arrive on our shore.

Any asylum seeker that arrives from a safe country should be deported immediately back to that safe country. No processing just deported. We can legally do this. I don’t understand stand why we don’t.

I would agree with another prison and no more freedom when you have 20-30 previous.

I would reduce the number of TD’s and let them concentrate on running the country and not fixing potholes outside my house.

I would reform their pension. If they become a minister they get a ministers pension. Nobody in the public service. Their pension should be calculated on their service. Say 10 years as a TD, 2 years as a junior minister, 5 years as a full minister an 3 years as Taoiseach. Their pension would only be payable at pension age - until then the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 s3ndnudes

Things I would like to see:

1. Increase investment OUTSIDE of Dublin to make it a more attractive place to live with particular focus on already large towns and urban centres. As a young person, most I know have had to go to Dublin for opportunity- I'd love to see this to change.

2. Efforts to encourage high rise high density living and effort to increase supply of housing. Anything that would bring down the cost of housing would increase the quality of life for so many.

3. Incentivising companies by all means necessary to get them setting up outside of Dublin. This would be better for both people already in Dublin and those outside it.

4. Investment in public transport- luas is a joke. Thing crawls around the city, theirs lights were cars are given preference before the luas- ridiculous. I'd like to see less cars in the city centre- perhaps "tolls" similar to what they have for the city centre in London.

5. Within Dublin, I would love to see more effort to create spaces that bring people together. In the city centre, there's almost no public seating (probably deliberately as addicts would take it over). But I think it is a bit sad that there's very few places where people can come together to meet- St Stephen's green being one notable exception.

6. I would love to see a revamp of O'Connell st- it's a complete mismatch of bad one off shops, run down side streets and is just generally grimey with a *cough* mixed cohort who occupy it. I would love to see some sort of plaza, development of side streets, seating, or anything to bring colour to the area - it currently feels like a bus through fare- which is what it is I suppose.

7. I'd love to see a more equitable tax treatment for those in the middle - say 30-60k incomes approximately. People who can afford to rent but not buy, and more broadly the "squeezed middle". I'd like the amount at which the 40% tax rate kicks in to be higher, and possibly the introduction of a third band for those earning say over 100k-150k. Don't want to squeeze the life out of high earners but I think they can pay a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The changes I would make would be a suite of measures that going forward would copperfasten these changes bringing us in line with best international practice

The changes I would make would be a suite of measures that going forward would copperfasten these changes bringing us in line with best international practice

Work in the corporate world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

The banning of net curtains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

List system for a percentage of seats in Dáil Éireann.

No pension payments to politicians before the age of the state pension.

AGS crack down on white collar crime.

Serious change in transportation spending and space allocation in favour of cycling, walking and PT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Switching all civil service pensions to a, somewhat generous, Defined Contribution “scheme” would be a nice start.

Political pensions should be the same. And none of this nonsense of TD pension, “ministerial” pension and whatever you’re having yourself, you’d get one pension, as above.

Political salaries would be next.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

s3ndnudes wrote: »
    Things I would like to see:

1. Increase investment OUTSIDE of Dublin to make it a more attractive place to live with particular focus on already large towns and urban centres. As a young person, most I know have had to go to Dublin for opportunity- I'd love to see this to change.

You can't have the big companies outside of Dublin.

Nobody can understand a thing you say down the sticks.

Imagine some american director on a skype meeting to the likes of that. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

I'd like to see us depart from the culture of complaining to the government for every single problem people have in their lives.

Can't afford a house,
    Can't afford healthcare,
    Don't have a job,
    Give us free everything

Here's an idea to make sure you never have to blame the government again. Abolish all these public services. Health, housing etc. Since the government won't need all that revenue anymore we can abolish the income tax too. Let everybody keep all their money so that they can pay for their own house, own healthcare, own education etc.

Seriously, I don't know any other country in which so much cynical complaining to the government is commonplace. Here's an idea. Maybe it would be better if the government didn't have so much influence over our personal lives.

You might think, if only Sinn Fein/PBP got in then there would finally be a govt of the people and all would be well. Guess what as long as politicians have this much influence over you, they will always screw up. Completely divest the government from our lives I say!

Anyway, that's my rant over. Of course I expect none of this would ever be implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Overhaul of the legal and political systems included term limits, decriminalization of drugs, end to concurrent sentences and bail for violent offenders and harsh penalties for misconduct in public office.

Massive investment in public transport.

Public/Private partnership on any exploitation of our natural resources.

Return of vocational schools and apprenticeships on a large scale. The idea that everyone needs a university degree is madness.

Scale of dole payments to be linked to previous contributions.

State to get seriously involved in the provision of childcare.

Creation of public banking systems

Change in the way we operate corporate tax revenue, utilising sovereign wealth funds

Taxing tech companies for the use of our data, rather than giving it to them for free

Decentralisation of our political system

Ramp up of the decommissioning of our fossil fuels power system

Introduction of some sort of UBI system for all citizens

Increase in the building of public housing

Nationwide programs for retrofitting buildings for better efficiency

Major overhaul of our educational system

Major overhaul of our health system, in particular our mental health services

Implementation of a land value tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Pronto63 wrote: »

I would reform their pension. If they become a minister they get a ministers pension. Nobody in the public service. Their pension should be calculated on their service. Say 10 years as a TD, 2 years as a junior minister, 5 years as a full minister an 3 years as Taoiseach. Their pension would only be payable at pension age - until then the dole.

This has been done already.

s3ndnudes wrote: »

7. I'd love to see a more equitable tax treatment for those in the middle - say 30-60k incomes approximately. People who can afford to rent but not buy, and more broadly the "squeezed middle". I'd like the amount at which the 40% tax rate kicks in to be higher, and possibly the introduction of a third band for those earning say over 100k-150k. Don't want to squeeze the life out of high earners but I think they can pay a bit more.

Yes, a third income tax rate is a good idea.

Most countries have more than two.

I suggest 20%-30%-40%-50%.

GalwayMark wrote: »
    How about getting rid of county councils and instituting regional assemblies for less parochialism in Irish politics?

In 2014 we abolished 80 town and borough councils.

There used to be 114 local authorities, that was reduced to 34.

We also merged Tipp, LK and WD.

So now there are 31.

As a result, our local councils are very large, as measured by average population.

So it would be difficult to argue for further reductions in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

Legalise weed.
    That’d do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I agree about having more women in prominent positions, but on merit not just tokenism.

Anyway I'll probably be carded for contributing the above.

I live in Balbriggan. Have yet to see black gangs terrorising the place. I get the impression they're far too polite, having being brought up properly.

I live in Balbriggan. Have yet to see black gangs terrorising the place. I get the impression they're far too polite, having being brought up properly.

OK my friend I know you are trolling a teeny bit now. lol. It is not good what is happening there in certain areas, and because of the R word nothing is reported either is it.

Feel sorry for those in the thick of it out there. Was a great place when I was a nipper, picnic and a great day out for the city Dubs. In latter years it was the Man O War. Those who know it will know it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

OK my friend I know you are trolling a teeny bit now. lol. It is not good what is happening there in certain areas, and because of the R word nothing is reported either is it.

Feel sorry for those in the thick of it out there. Was a great place when I was a nipper, picnic and a great day out for the city Dubs. In latter years it was the Man O War. Those who know it will know it.

So are you saying that if this "multiculturalism" continues, we'll have more Balbriggan's in 20-30 years time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I have it fairly easy in the grand scheme of things, but I’d love to see some incentive for second time buyers, not investors.. just people like me who are still stuck on their starter home, too small of my family but need to come up with 20% plus stamp duty/legals before I can trade up. This is despite them increasing the help to buy scheme for first time buyers again, when I’m left to rot despite paying off over 100k in negative equity, I’ll walk with f all from the sale of this house but it would free it up for another couple looking for a starter home and afford me the space I need to grow.. space I can afford and proven I can afford... but it will take all my savings to do that.
    We are going to be the generation that they forgot about...

And yes I know I’ve nothing to complain about, tis grand to have a house etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Make Sláintecare happen. Convince the public that investment in new, huge, and very expensive urban hospitals is the way forward. This will involve tax increases.

More support for trades. Expand what a trade means.

Reintroduce fees for 3rd level education. Not a punitive amount, but enough to involve a conversation with the people who are paying for it. More funding for universities in general.

Continued investment in the National Broadband Plan. It's like the rural electrification project.

Change the name of Irish Water, and bring in a fixed charge of €107 per year across every household in the country for the delivery of improved water and sewage infrastructure.

Make Sláintecare happen. Convince the public that investment in new, huge, and very expensive urban hospitals is the way forward. This will involve tax increases.

More support for trades. Expand what a trade means.

Reintroduce fees for 3rd level education. Not a punitive amount, but enough to involve a conversation with the people who are paying for it. More funding for universities in general.

As we already overspend on healthcare, then Slaintecare should not cost more.

It may mean a re-allocation of funding, yes.

So I stop paying health insurance, pay more tax, but pay less combined.

100% I agree about apprenticeships.

Note that third level fees have already been re-introduced, and are now at 3,000.

AFAIK, our fees are 2nd highest in Europe, after UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Remind people that it is 2020. Do they really need religion(s)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 droimlis

A complete ban on concurrent sentencing. It makes no sense to reward those committing multiple crimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i would eliminate nanny statism.
    Limit to what the government can spend money on.
    De-fund quangos, all campaigns should be privately funded
    Legalise narcotics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Ban those public-hanging-lite judgemental programmes that seem to be the only thing RTE makes nowadays. The ones where some fame-hungry parents volunteer themselves, and their kids with no meaningful consent, to have their day to day life analysed and then publicly shamed at the end of the week by a team of "experts" for eating too little seaweed, using too much bogroll or running the tap while they brush their teeth.

The broadcasting space freed up should then be devoted to invasive coverage of all of those "experts" where their own unattractive habits can be seen and criticised by all, every day of their lives, until they die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Massive effort to eradicate the claims culture that makes insurance skyhigh and has a knock-on effect on so many areas, such as starting/running a childcare business.

More police on the street, more prosecution of crime, stricter sentencing.

Just in general, more enforcement of laws that actually exist.

Proper efforts to develop infrastructure along the south to west coast to improve Cork, Limerick, and Galway as alternatives to Dublin for multinationals. The biggest will always want/need Dublin, but the smaller ones could easily be accommodated elsewhere. Failure to stop or slow the growth of Dublin by providing alternatives has had serious consequences at so many levels.

More building of proper apartment buildings that can accommodate a family of say 4 for a long time. Our apartments are almost all to small for a family to live long term, so everybody wants the house and garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1) A flat 20% income tax all the way from the bottom to the top
    2) Anyone on JSA / On welfare more than 2 years or on disability for addictions is given a cashless payment card that can't be used for alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, tanning beds, travel, sky tv packages, tattoos etc....
    3) convert child benefit to only a tax credit to discourage the wrong people having kids.
    4) A gigantic massive huge prison in the midlands and tell the judges to stop suspending sentences and fill it.
    5) A new division of the gardai designed specifically to target the travelling 'community' and migrants where we can all acknowledge there is a massive over representation in criminality.
    6) free speech protected in the constitution
    7) the introduction of a class called 'life skills' in school teaching kids about taxation, government departments, basic business skills, how insurance works, how defrauding social welfare is immoral and robs from poor people.
    8) reintroduce the death penalty for absolutely proved cases murder, serial rape, paedophiles
    9) close the borders to anyone from outside the EU who doesn't have job sponsorship for a position over 40k a year
    10) 10 year social welfare ban and 10 years before they can even put themselves on the housing list for all immigrants
    11) scrap motor tax
    12) make it illegal to cycle without a helmet baring a registration number so its easier to catch cyclists breaking the law and causing damage to cars.
    13) set up no loitering zones around tourist attractions where homeless people / junkies can be automatically arrested for begging or intimidating people.
    14) Variable corporate tax rate - 12.5% in Dublin/cork/limerick/galway , with drops to 11% and 9% for companies stationing staffed offices in rural/deprived/economic black spots.
    15) reform planning to allow residential development almost anywhere, allow modern/alternative building styles , abolish style guides.
    16) Planning objections in the cities can not be based on height, aesthetics or having a view obscured, allow approval in theory for buildings up to 40 storeys.
    17) Remove unprovable whiplash/back/neck injuries from personal injury claims, lifetime payout caps and allow personal injury awards to count towards means testing welfare recipients.
    18) Drug testing for welfare recipients.
    19) Scrap the HSE and sack all of the admin and management staff, make rules to stop it being top heavy with a 5:1 frontline to admin staff ratio
    20) Ban unions for the civil/public service and semi state companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This is one of the most bogus arguments on Boards.

If TDs wanted to maximise money for landlords, they would change the tax laws around rental i come.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    You can't have the big companies outside of Dublin.

Nobody can understand a thing you say down the sticks.

Imagine some american director on a skype meeting to the likes of that. No chance.

I used to work for an american research institute in Athlone. Some poor creature had been sent over from the US to set up the Irish office, make initial hires etc. I got the feeling of how he felt about his assignment when I discovered the Wifi password which he had set up was Why@hlone!?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Good idea for a thread OP.

I'd like to see a more conservative political party gain traction within the state.
    The present situation isn't healthy for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Stevie wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

1) A flat 20% income tax all the way from the bottom to the top
    2) Anyone on JSA / On welfare more than 2 years or on disability for addictions is given a cashless payment card that can't be used for alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, tanning beds, travel, sky tv packages, tattoos etc....
    3) convert child benefit to only a tax credit to discourage the wrong people having kids.
    4) A gigantic massive huge prison in the midlands and tell the judges to stop suspending sentences and fill it.
    5) A new division of the gardai designed specifically to target the travelling 'community' and migrants where we can all acknowledge there is a massive over representation in criminality.
    6) free speech protected in the constitution
    7) the introduction of a class called 'life skills' in school teaching kids about taxation, government departments, basic business skills, how insurance works, how defrauding social welfare is immoral and robs from poor people.
    8) reintroduce the death penalty for absolutely proved cases murder, serial rape, paedophiles
    9) close the borders to anyone from outside the EU who doesn't have job sponsorship for a position over 40k a year
    10) 10 year social welfare ban and 10 years before they can even put themselves on the housing list for all immigrants
    11) scrap motor tax
    12) make it illegal to cycle without a helmet baring a registration number so its easier to catch cyclists breaking the law and causing damage to cars.
    13) set up no loitering zones around tourist attractions where homeless people / junkies can be automatically arrested for begging or intimidating people.
    14) Variable corporate tax rate - 12.5% in Dublin/cork/limerick/galway , with drops to 11% and 9% for companies stationing staffed offices in rural/deprived/economic black spots.
    15) reform planning to allow residential development almost anywhere, allow modern/alternative building styles , abolish style guides.
    16) Planning objections in the cities can not be based on height, aesthetics or having a view obscured, allow approval in theory for buildings up to 40 storeys.
    17) Remove unprovable whiplash/back/neck injuries from personal injury claims, lifetime payout caps and allow personal injury awards to count towards means testing welfare recipients.
    18) Drug testing for welfare recipients.
    19) Scrap the HSE and sack all of the admin and management staff, make rules to stop it being top heavy with a 5:1 frontline to admin staff ratio
    20) Ban unions for the civil/public service and semi state companies.

not in fully agreement but some decent stuff there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement