Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade old Lenovo or not?

Options
  • 13-08-2020 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

Basic question is should I upgrade an old Lenovo H520s or will I be wasting my time?

Background is that I've just lost my job and am looking to upgrade my skillset by learning python. I'll also be running sql server but I don't think that either of them will have huge hardware demands.

I have 2 desktops neither of which are in the first flush of youth. Both have windows 10 Pro installed and I want to run 2 monitors (one newish samsung: 1920*1080 and an old Dell Ultrasharp: 1600*1200)

Lenovo H520s tower - i5 2320 processor, 4GB RAM (1*4GB, 1 free slot), 500GB Sata HDD
    Dell Optiplex 9020 tower - i3 4150, 8GB RAM (2*4GB (2 free slots)), 128GB SSD (pretty much full)

The Lenovo runs pretty slowly but I'm thinking that if I add 4GB of RAM and a cheap SSD then it should perform at a reasonable level.

My kids use the Optiplex quite a bit with the biggest demand on performance being fortnite. They've been asking for a gaming computer which we have in principle agreed to buy but not agreed to when we'll buy it. Ideally I'd like to push it out to Christmas.

Googling suggests that I can upgrade the memory for about 20 quid and get a cheap SSD for about 50. Would a graphics card have any noteable impact?

Am I stupid to try upgrading the Lenovo?

Should I just bite the bullet, get the gaming PC and upgrade the HDD on the Optiplex?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd say it's pretty much a start again job I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

The Optiplex is an i3 with only 2 cores and fortnite will still struggle even if you add a new graphics card to the upgrade.

The Lenovo could get a good fortnite experience but it would need a newish graphics card(along with RAM and SSD) and it would still struggle in many new games.
    It would only make sense to do this if you were to use that graphics card in a future build.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Lenovo should have the 8GB ram and the SSD, it would only be slow because of the HDD really. It would also be fine for Fortnite if you add a low profile graphics card.

Another 4GB of Ram would cost €10 2nd hand and a 120GB boot SSD about €25 new.

Graphics wise, this is about €150 and would fit in that case, and run Fortnite at high/ultra just fine.

Or if you are OK with Fortnite at 1080p medium-ish, this is much cheaper.

You need a low profile card which makes it trickier, as the cards are more expensive and far less common 2nd hand.

For about €500-600 new you would get a much better new gaming PC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I've ordered additional RAM and a 500GB SSD for the Lenovo. I'll keep the Lenovo to myself for the moment and I think that it should run everthing I need it to fairly comfortably. I have run SQL server on the Optiplex in the past and my brief research on Python doesn't suggest that it's going to be too demanding. The spec that I'll have for the Lenovo with the upgrades will be pretty similar I think.

It doesn't sound like there's much point trying to upgrade either system for the purposes of playing fortnite so I'll plan on buying a new system for that which I'll leave off for a little while (probably see me back in a week asking for advice :)).

Clearlier wrote: »
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I've ordered additional RAM and a 500GB SSD for the Lenovo. I'll keep the Lenovo to myself for the moment and I think that it should run everthing I need it to fairly comfortably. I have run SQL server on the Optiplex in the past and my brief research on Python doesn't suggest that it's going to be too demanding. The spec that I'll have for the Lenovo with the upgrades will be pretty similar I think.

It doesn't sound like there's much point trying to upgrade either system for the purposes of playing fortnite so I'll plan on buying a new system for that which I'll leave off for a little while (probably see me back in a week asking for advice :)).

New GPUs on the way so hold off for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New GPUs on the way so hold off for a bit.

Those GPUs are going to be high-end/enthusiast class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

There's no need to build a new computer for yourself. The lenovo i5 processor is much better than the i3 as it has double the amount of cores. Add in another 4GB ram that can be bought on adverts/donedeal for around 15eur. Then an SSD and youre sorted. Would recommend a clean install of windows rather than trying to clone the HDD to SSD.

For the kids, I'd hold off until later this year and then put together a solid Ryzen processor based build, 16GB RAM and a RX580 or better. You should be able to get that within 500eur including a monitor and it will play all the games while offering plenty of upgradeability down the line.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Those GPUs are going to be high-end/enthusiast class.

Trickles down.

Lots of used options.

Advertisement