Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No claims bonus

Options
  • 13-08-2020 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum for this.

I'm looking to change my insurer but my current insurer only gives a max of 6 years no claims bonus and have provided this document now at renewal time.

The reality is that I've gone 10 years without a claim, but if I'm going to new insurer can I only claim 6 seeing as that's all my current insurer stands over? Have I somehow lost 4 years or how do I show evidence of this now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

VonLuck wrote: »
    Have I somehow lost 4 years or how do I show evidence of this now?

I don’t work in the industry or anything but generally I think 6+ is seen as the “max” no claims discount. I change insurance companies every year and I just pick the max discount then pass on the proof, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

It’s irrelevant how many years bonus you have because there is a maximum level on the bonus scale and most companies are 5 or 6 and anything above that is irrelevant and won’t benefit you in anyway regarding your policy price .

BBMcQ wrote: »
    I don’t work in the industry or anything but generally I think 6+ is seen as the “max” no claims discount. I change insurance companies every year and I just pick the max discount then pass on the proof, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Sorry I replied to the wrong comment my comment was for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Thewife wrote: »
    It’s irrelevant how many years bonus you have because there is a maximum level on the bonus scale and most companies are 5 or 6 and anything above that is irrelevant and won’t benefit you in anyway regarding your policy price .

It will with some companies. Allianz being one that gives you a bigger discount for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I keep my renewal notices going back 10 years or more precisely for that reason. So if I need to show that I have 10 years no-claims, I can produce the last renewal notice which might show five years and I can also produce the renewal from five years ago which also shows five years no claims. Those two pieces of paper collectively show a 10 years span with no claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

BBMcQ wrote: »

I have come across this issue of 10 years also. Some appear to be offering it.

I always keep the renewal notice so I can if needed go back many years if needed anove what is put on my renewal for each given year.

Advertisement