Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric showers in hard water areas??

Options
  • 13-08-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. We have one power shower upstairs and a triton electric one downstairs. The electric one has never functioned properly and am assuming it is because of the hard water. Are there any showers which function well in HW areas ?? Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

The real answer is probably no but some showers now have a phased shutdown where the heating elements are switched off ~ 10 secs before the water stops flowing and this may slow down the formation of lime scale and prolong the shower life.The only long term answer is to install a water softener but that costs money.

However the electric shower should have performed perfectly when installed as it takes time for the scale to build up, eventually when it does build up it will restrict the water flow even with the temperature (flow) control turned fully anti clockwise the low flow will then cause the temperature safety device (TCO) to shut down the heating elements and the temperature can continuously go cold/hot. If this was happening from day one or the shower had a very low flowrate from day one then hard water had nothing to do with the problem, at least initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The only real solution for hard water is a water softening system. I don't have much faith in the phased shutdown system. Manufactures claim "ideal for hard water areas" yet in their T&Cs it says limescale damage isn't covered under the warranty.

Getting away from the hard water, what is actually going wrong with the shower when you turn it on & what is the make & model?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭wassie

I had an issue with limescale build up in a Triton shower. I found this video which explains the problem quite well. The thermostatic/temperature cutout switch may be gone & needing replacing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH5r6w3cj0E

I followed the process and found it easy enough if you are a little bit handy at all - if you decide to have a go doing this ask away if you have questions. The boiler unit in my Triton is as good as new and working well.

Advertisement