Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus

• 10-08-2020 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering does anyone know who you contact or email in Art Lingus to arrange a refund for flights cancelled. I responded to an email I received saying my flights have been cancelled asking them to refund me however it bounced back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭VG31

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Don't hold your breath for a speedy refund. I applied in early May for cancelled flights, zilch so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

I applied in March for a voucher, still nothing, called them to hear they are still working on it. What is so complicated and time consuming in issuing e-vouchers, unless they are waiting to see if they get busted before and go down with our vouchers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lots on the massive refund thread.

I didn't bother wasting time with either Ryanair or Aer Lingus with cancelled flights, do a charge back with your bank.

Much faster and you won't be ****ed around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Lots on the massive refund thread.

I didn't bother wasting time with either Ryanair or Aer Lingus with cancelled flights, do a charge back with your bank.

Much faster and you won't be ****ed around.
    Isn't there a limited time frame for a charge back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I got a refund very quickly from Aer Lingus, got a mail on Monday saying the flight was cancelled, one of our options was refund so we followed that through and the refund is in our bank account today.

The problem is that we did not get the admin fee or the baggage charges refunded. The admin fee I can understand, but not refunding the baggage charges - how can they keep baggage charges for a flight they cancelled?

nophd08 wrote: »
    Isn't there a limited time frame for a charge back?

Normally 120 days from when you did not receive the service (in this case your flight).

Really do not know why people are wasting time with the airlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭billyhead

I am going to wait and hold off to see if I get the refund before looking for a chargeback.

billyhead wrote: »
    I am going to wait and hold off to see if I get the refund before looking for a chargeback.

Based on past experience I know which one is faster...

Yan do a chargeback even if you have asked for a refund, the refund request will just be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Based on past experience I know which one is faster...

Yan do a chargeback even if you have asked for a refund, the refund request will just be cancelled.

Why hold off? Just google how to apply for a chargeback with your bank and follow the instructions. Much easier than trying to keep emailing the airline and trying to get advice on boards.
    Do it now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Had flights in June cancelled. Filled out the form for a refund. Gave them a month then called them. Got through in a couple of mins. Customer service agent checked the cancelled flights and the details in my form and processed the refund right away. My brother had same flights. He filled out refund form long after me and had refund in a couple of weeks.

How has this experience been so different for so many people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Availed of Aer Lingus deposit scheme for US flights. Looking at US Embassy entry stipulations & DFA here, no one will be getting into US this year unless they hold a greencard or absolutely necessary.

Booked December 1st-6th Dublin JFK for me & partner.

Paid €310 in April- Balance left to pay €494 by 2nd October 2020.

Was going to chance my arm and ask them if I could use that deposit paid elsewhere i.e. in Europe next month for instance instead.

Rang them up there and the foreign customer attendant wasn't able to understand very well, basically said I will have to pay the full amount, then submit a refund request to get my money in full back...

Think I'm unlikely to get anything unless I pay the full €800 to get €800 back! Or get speaking to the right person on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Hollybeg

Has anyone actually got a cash refund from Aer Lingus in respect of flights to the US which were NOT cancelled?

Myself and the wife "are" due to fly to the US next month but that won't be happening with the travel ban. Its highly unlikely it will be lifted anytime soon. The tickets are non refundable unfortunatly but as far as I can see there's nothing within their T&C's that state you can't seek a "voucher" in lieu of a refund. Obviously I'd prefer cash.

I rang today and you can avail of voucher or refund upto 31st December 2020. Prob just have to fill out the forms ? You can also change the flights from the US to somewhere else, say Europe if you fancied that . Only thing is the flights will probably cost a lot less and as far as I’m aware if it costs less they won’t credit you the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Hollybeg

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I rang today and you can avail of voucher or refund upto 31st December 2020. Prob just have to fill out the forms ? You can also change the flights from the US to somewhere else, say Europe if you fancied that . Only thing is the flights will probably cost a lot less and as far as I’m aware if it costs less they won’t credit you the difference

Their website still states 31/08 for a voucher - https://www.aerlingus.com/support/covid19-information/options-for-your-booking/ Did they say the date was going to be extended?

Edit - I decided to ring them ... the person knew nothing about any plans to extend the voucher scheme. I think I'll just have to wait until clarity is provided later this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

1. If the flight operates you can only avail of the change of dates or voucher (legally no obligation to offer either) if requested BEFORE departure

2. If the flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a refund in cash (or the method of payment used)

3. If the flight is significantly rescheduled or transferred to a different airline, this is effectively a cancellation, see point 2

4. If you cannot travel for any reason, then thats not the airlines issue, see point 1

Best option is sit and wait until 14 days before departure, at that point the airline will typically make a decision and cancel. If you move for a voucher now you are giving up your right to a refund later and this is legally permitted.

I guess that leaves me with no leg to stand on - considering I paid a deposit for NYC flights?

I can't afford to wait until close to departure, remaining balance has to be paid by 2nd october, flight is 1st december.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Martin07

Hi, Aer Lingus state that 'change fee will be waived until December 31, 2020'. What is meant by the December deadline?? Our flight is late September 2020 and we would change for a flight in September 2021 but Aer Lingus only publish their timetable for 330 days i.e. currently until mid July 2021.

Edit - flight is to Spain

Edit - does it mean that the change fee is waived for bookings up to 31 December 2020 , or does it mean a flight that is changed to a new date before 31st December 2020??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭billyhead

Anyone else still waiting for a refund for cancelled flights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Martin07 wrote: »
    Hi, Aer Lingus state that 'change fee will be waived until December 31, 2020'. What is meant by the December deadline?? Our flight is late September 2020 and we would change for a flight in September 2021 but Aer Lingus only publish their timetable for 330 days i.e. currently until mid July 2021.

Edit - flight is to Spain

Edit - does it mean that the change fee is waived for bookings up to 31 December 2020 , or does it mean a flight that is changed to a new date before 31st December 2020??

My understanding is its means the flight change fee as waived until 31.12.2020 and any one with flights booked before and up until that date can move there flight to another date such as 2021 and only pay the extra fare charge. The price of the flights on the new dates might be higher than originally paid.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

I got on to theme via messenger. After about 10 "is there any update on the refund" messages they paid thankfully.

Ryanair won't budge but it wouldn't out me off booking.

Advertisement