Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I apply for invalidity pension?

Options
  • 13-08-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Hello

My illness benefit ran out a few weeks ago, I'm meant to start work again but it could be a few more weeks.

Should I apply for invalidity pension in the interim?

I've no idea what to do so any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

Invalidity is a long term payment, you would need to prove you will be out of work for the long term to qualify.
    So if you are beginning work in a few week then you will not qualify for this or for disability.
    Not to mention that they often take upwards of 6 months to even be approved and alot are rejected first time round.

Your best bet is to look at applying for jobseekers allowance if your ready to go back to work

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Should I apply for invalidity pension in the interim?

Can be very hard to get this, da (disability allowance) is probably what you're looking for, applied in conjunction with your doc, form available on the Internets

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Can be very hard to get this, da (disability allowance) is probably what you're looking for, applied in conjunction with your doc, form available on the Internets

DA could take months before the op got a decision ,if you have job back to , supplementary allowence could be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

wifey28 wrote: »
    Invalidity is a long term payment, you would need to prove you will be out of work for the long term to qualify.
    So if you are beginning work in a few week then you will not qualify for this or for disability.
    Not to mention that they often take upwards of 6 months to even be approved and alot are rejected first time round.

Your best bet is to look at applying for jobseekers allowance if your ready to go back to work

Damn, I'm getting paid salary protection as well so I'd imagine that it would disqualify me from jobseekers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gatling wrote:
    DA could take months before the op got a decision ,if you have job back to , supplementary allowence could be an option

Maybe apply for both da and sa, sa shouldn't be too hard to get, da on the other hand... depends what you wanna do though, if you're ready to go back to work though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

Damn, I'm getting paid salary protection as well so I'd imagine that it would disqualify me from jobseekers

this would very likely disqualify you from jobseekers as its means tested. disability allowance is also means tested

Thanks guys I'll just hold out for a few more weeks until work takes me back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks guys I'll just hold out for a few more weeks until work takes me back

Get your income protection reassessed for any period you are without IB.

Usually they disregard any IB received from their calculation, would be only fair that the reverse holds true aswell.

banie01 wrote: »
    Get your income protection reassessed for any period you are without IB.

Usually they disregard any IB received from their calculation, would be only fair that the reverse holds true aswell.

Never thought of that, thank you banie

Advertisement