Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down laminate floor with furniture in the room

Options
  • 12-08-2020 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

I have an upstairs room with wooden floor boards and a lot of furniture. I really don't have space to clear the room even for a few days.

Is there any reason why I should not move the furniture to one half of the room and lay half the floor and then move all the the furniture back on to the newly laid half and finish the job? I probably won't get time to do the whole job in one go - probably three or four sessions over the next few weeks....

While I'm at it, what are the thoughts on laying cables under the underlay? Could I also lay a flat ethernet cable on the floor going across the room?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Anything under the under lay you will feel when you walk on it. It will also break the laminate joint eventually after walking on it a few times. So I guess the answer is no ya cant have anything under the under lay.

If you are doing a floating floor system. Wedge around the edges a gap of around 10mm. Wedge supports should also be put at every laminate joint that will be beside the wall. Having heavy furniture on the laminate may help it not to budge when laying the floor.... other than that the only thing that maybe happen to you especially if it's a first time project is that the floor moves while laying it down and you wont see it move because the furniture is in the way. If this happens you may end up with larger gaps around the edge... bigger gaps need bigger beading of skirting which may look not all that nice

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you have skirting, put a grove into it, and put the Ethernet in it. Otherwise, you'll have at least one broken board in time.

Would also advise you look at a pair of homeplugs. If you can, borrow a set off someone (they don't great in some houses, but have worked great for anywhere I lived in).

Would advise getting homeplugs with passthrough; I find the tech in them better, especially if you have multiple devices plugged in nearby; https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required/dp/B01G5Q9E0O/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Be grand. Just go round the furniture. No-one will ever notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Overtime the ethernet cable will breakdown and fail due to the constant friction / pressure of walking over the floor, not to mention the above comments about the floor failing. Round the skirting is the best way - that's what I did

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

power cables are a fire risk and against the regs.

if you use the rectangles of underlay then easy enough to do as long as the furniture can be LIFTED clean off the floor from the boards to the laminate.

The laminate will also need to acclimatise in the room

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement