Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed Roof

Options
  • 12-08-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

Good evening.

I built a block shed/workshop (22' x 12') about 8 years ago. I put a flat felt roof on it as it was the cheapest option I could do myself.
    It took about 6 years before I realised I didn't have enough of a slant on it to properly drain the rain water and as a result water started pooling and eventually leaked through.
    I tore it up last year and put a new corrugated bitumen roof on it. I tested the new slope and the water ran off it very well.......until about 6 months later and now I have the same issue of water pooling and leaks.

I am pulling the whole lot off again Saturday week but I'm not sure what way to go in terms of the new roof.

I want to stay down the bitumen corrugated route but do I go for the traditional A frame approach or just built a new flat type frame with a bigger slope?

Money, time and expertise are all not in my favour on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

A bigger slope with a fiberglass finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

2nd for fibreglass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

What's the slope and how much do you want to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Post up a pic. Have had this issue, simply got wedges cut, screwed to joist, to give bigger fall....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

What's the slope and how much do you want to spend?

The current slope is about 2%.

I want maybe a 10% slope and ideally want to send as little as possible. I am hoping to reuse as many of the existing corrugated ieces as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Phil.x wrote: »
    A bigger slope with a fiberglass finish.

Please explain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

khaldrogo wrote: »
    The current slope is about 2%.

I want maybe a 10% slope and ideally want to send as little as possible. I am hoping to reuse as many of the existing corrugated ieces as possible

Grand, pull the roof off and just increase the slope, put the old roof back on. Are they full length sheets across the roof or have you joined them in places?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Interested in Fibreglass myself, is this a good guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Toby22

Hi, roofer in the extended family, he has removed a lot of fibreglass roofs in the past few years, some only down two years. He wouldn’t recommend it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Toby22 wrote: »
    Hi, roofer in the extended family, he has removed a lot of fibreglass roofs in the past few years, some only down two years. He wouldn’t recommend it at all.

Plus fiberglass is crazy money for a shed roof :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I tore it up last year and put a new corrugated bitumen roof on it. I tested the new slope and the water ran off it very well.......until about 6 months later and now I have the same issue of water pooling and leaks.

That's odd. It sounds like the onduline has sagged. Is it properly supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Don't mind fiberglass, get on to Dungdeal and find someone selling cladding (even cladding seconds) and use it.

Fine job for a simple lean to roof

Advertisement