Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wired vs wireless

Options
  • 11-08-2020 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Getting a new home in a couple of months that is pre wired for alarm. Am I better off getting a wired system? Probably this has been asked before here but I couldn’t find info.

Comments

The main advantage of a wireless system is someone can't simply cut the line. Though you do need to supply it/them with power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

The main advantage of a wireless system is someone can't simply cut the line. Though you do need to supply it/them with power.

The whole idea of a pre wired house is, all the cables are hidden and if installed professionally, a cut cable will cause an activation even when the system is disarmed.

Getting a new home in a couple of months that is pre wired for alarm. Am I better off getting a wired system? Probably this has been asked before here but I couldn’t find info.

A wired system is the way to go, it will cost less and you will not have to worry about replacing batteries in wireless devices down the road.

Most panels are hybrid anyway so if you did need some wireless devices then you can have the best of both options.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Even with a wired system there is still a battery in the main control panel. It lasts about 4 yrs with us and I suppose there as back up if power outage?

Garlinge wrote: »
    Even with a wired system there is still a battery in the main control panel. It lasts about 4 yrs with us and I suppose there as back up if power outage?

Indeed there is a battery in every control panel, but if someone has 20 / 30 wireless devices, the costs of the replacement little batteries start rising very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

kub wrote: »
    A wired system is the way to go, it will cost less and you will not have to worry about replacing batteries in wireless devices down the road.

Most panels are hybrid anyway so if you did need some wireless devices then you can have the best of both options.

Do wired systems offer apps and control from the phone too?

Do wired systems offer apps and control from the phone too?

Yes, I am speaking of those that are available to professional installers on the Irish market.

Just because a system is wired does not automatically mean that it is in anyway lacking the latest technology.

Yes, I am speaking of those that are available to professional installers on the Irish market.

Just because a system is wired does not automatically mean that it is in anyway lacking the latest technology.

Very interesting. Any recommended installer?

Very interesting. Any recommended installer?

Not allowed to do that here.

Ask friends / family etc would they have recommendations and here is the PSA's site of all the licensed installers.

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/webContract?OpenForm

Also get yourself 3 written quotations from these licensed installers and make an informed decision from there.
    We are always here in case you have any further queries.

Not allowed to do that here.

Ask friends / family etc would they have recommendations and here is the PSA's site of all the licensed installers.

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/webContract?OpenForm

Also get yourself 3 written quotations from these licensed installers and make an informed decision from there.
    We are always here in case you have any further queries.

Thanks for the info. I’m nearly sure that I’ll go for a wired system. Can you recommend any kind of system or is that against the rules too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

It depends on design of your house and vulnerable points. For example we have 'shock' alarm on a window overlooking a flat ground floor roof, and on all external doors and one rear window. Then there are two motion sensors indoors. You will have a choice of settings for example all external alarms 'set' but not internal, or downstairs and not upstairs internal which allow for alarm to be set at night when people home.

Thanks for the info. I’m nearly sure that I’ll go for a wired system. Can you recommend any kind of system or is that against the rules too?

For a domestic system, I would not look beyond the HKC SW 10270

Here is a link to HKC's site, they are a manufacturer of security equipment and are based in Dublin.

They are coming out with a touch screen keypad shortly, just in case that one on their site looks dated.

https://www.hkcsecurity.com/en-ie/solutions/securewave/

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Raven_k42

Hope it's ok to jump on your thread Cuba...and my intention only to add to it rather than divert !.
    Similar position here - finishing a full renovation on our 3-bed terraced house - fully wired for alarms and seems the HKC route is the way to go.
    Is monitored a thing anymore ??...or do all modern systems alert to my mobile etc ??. If I'm watching not sure much point in others watching too.
    I've also cabled for 4 cameras - 2 front and 2 back. Will be searching for best practical system soon.
    Finally - wired for a video door bell - like the idea of seeing who is there before we open the door. Again I'll be bothering boards from suggestions in a few weeks !.
    Thanks,
    K

They are coming out with a touch screen keypad shortly, just in case that one on their site looks dated.

https://www.hkcsecurity.com/en-ie/solutions/securewave/

Have you seen it ?
    I've been meaning to pick up a second keypad for the back door so might wait for the new one.
    wired I take it ?

Have you seen it ?
    I've been meaning to pick up a second keypad for the back door so might wait for the new one.
    wired I take it ?

Yes I saw it a few months ago, most installers have also.
    It should be released by the end of this year.
    They will be available as wired and wireless.

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to jump on your thread Cuba...and my intention only to add to it rather than divert !.
    Similar position here - finishing a full renovation on our 3-bed terraced house - fully wired for alarms and seems the HKC route is the way to go.
    Is monitored a thing anymore ??...or do all modern systems alert to my mobile etc ??. If I'm watching not sure much point in others watching too.
    I've also cabled for 4 cameras - 2 front and 2 back. Will be searching for best practical system soon.
    Finally - wired for a video door bell - like the idea of seeing who is there before we open the door. Again I'll be bothering boards from suggestions in a few weeks !.
    Thanks,
    K

Yes professional monitoring is always an option and one which should be seriously considered.
    All systems have the capability to connect to mobile phones but that is self notification. Phone control of course comes as standard.
    HKC systems can integrate with Hikvision CCTV systems also.
    Good luck with the project.

Advertisement