Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else apply foundation/concealer with fingers?

Options
  • 26-07-2020 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I've tried to use brushes and sponges to apply both over the years, but never been satisfied with either. I've acne prone skin so I wash and sanitize my hands before application. Which I feel is better than using tools that could harbour bacteria.
    I don't think I've ever seen a YT'er use their hands. Anyone else prefer using your hands over tools?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Me !

I use Givenchy's Teint Couture Balm - now mainly as a concealer as I am finally happy to go out foundation free.
    For years I used it as a foundation and also applied with my fingers.

Years ago I tried a foundation brush and was not happy at all with the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

No - I've always heard that applying makeup with your fingers causes the oil of your skin to mix wiht the foundation and it won't last as well. I've oily skin in the first instance and this would not be great for me. I also feel like if would be a bit heavy handed application if I did it with my fingers. Also, it just seems messy to me.

My favourite method is a beauty blender - I just think it gives a the most flawless finish. My second favourite would be a stippling brush, which is probably a bit quicker and also gives a good result. I don't like flat brushes for foundation application at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

SozBbz wrote: »
    No - I've always heard that applying makeup with your fingers causes the oil of your skin to mix wiht the foundation and it won't last as well.

Good to know ..i will try this. I am always having issues with this happening to me. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I do. Have done the whole brush, beauty blender thing but I just prefer the finish I get with my fingers. I also use way less product. It's just personal preference and what works for you. A friend of mine is a very well known make-up artist and she does her own foundation with her fingers.

Depends on the product as well, of course. You'd have a hard time applying and blending some compact/stick foundations with your fingers.

Me too.
    Brushes need so much washing and drying, and never get into the wee corners as well as my fingers. The beauty blender, well maybe I just never got the hang of them properly. Too messy for me and again nothing worse than a yesterday's makeuppy sponge...
    If you set the makeup with powder and/or spray it lasts just fine. Only trick is not putting too much on to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I think maybe it depends on your skin type? My mum has dry skin and swears by using her hands, but I think that the heat of your hands helps it set onto that skin type. I have oily skin, and if I use my hands I feel like I'm just smearing it around my face and it doesn't last. So, a brush or sponge for me, but I do use fingers to tap out concealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

I've tried brushes and sponges but always end up going back to using my fore finger. Sponges use up way too much product, brushes seem less precise and maybe unhygenic. I also apply eye shadow with my finger. I find I get it exactly where I want it and can control it better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

primer & fingers. always with primer
    i also think it involves using less

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Fingers for daytime and sponge for night time as the sponge seems to put it on more heavy on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its trial and error ladies trial and error.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

bluewolf wrote: »
    primer & fingers. always with primer
    i also think it involves using less

Same actually, 99% I'd use primer with my fingers. I'd use a brush or Beauty Blender for foundation and concealer, but would often pat it into little crevices (like around the nose) with my fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mandas

I will first apply the liquid foundation with my fingers, then use a sponge to spread it evenly and remove the excess foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I've always used my fingers. I wouldn't even know what to do with a beauty blender or brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Is it an age thing? Just turned 56, have always ALWAYS used my fingers, much to the HORROR of my 24 year old daughter, brushes and beauty blenders everywhere.

I think they sop up too much product, and just think fingers are better!

Unless using powder such as Bare Minerals, then obviously a brush!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It could well be! Sponges and brushes have come on so much in the last maybe 10 years and are widely promoted as the "standard" kit for doing make up. You even have brands selling brushes to go with a certain foundation.

I don't find brush/sponge sops up product too much, but I add it to the brush as I go. A little dip from back of my hand and apply, rinse and repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Primer and concealer - fingers always, but now ye have me wondering how oily my fingertips are!? :D

Have a angled type stippling brush for foundation, best ever. Will never use a flat brush again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I always apply foundation and even eye shadows with finger. Finger heat is the best to blend makeu. However, you need to sanitize all the makeup exterior before starting makeup and in this way, you can avoid viruses & bacterias.

Advertisement