Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopian Airlines 777F caught on fire at Shanghai Pudong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Looks like a total loss of the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Surely a bit of high speed tape and it will be good to go?

On a more serious note, what’s the chances that this was lithium batteries in the cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

smurfjed wrote: »
    On a more serious note, what’s the chances that this was lithium batteries in the cargo.

A poster on AVH suggests Ethiopian has an operator prohibition on carriage of lithium batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

IMHO there are lots of undeclared Li-ion batteries being carried, I recently ordered one from Holland and it was delivered by an Post, it was the wrong size and I tried returning it but my Local post office refused to accept, I was told an Post do not carry these items, perhaps I should have lied on the declaration!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bebop wrote: »
    IMHO there are lots of undeclared Li-ion batteries being carried, I recently ordered one from Holland and it was delivered by an Post, it was the wrong size and I tried returning it but my Local post office refused to accept, I was told an Post do not carry these items, perhaps I should have lied on the declaration!

There's a couple of ways this can happen, one is an accidental failure to declare dangerous goods, this will get you a fine if you are caught, but it is hard on some ERP systems to properly track hazardous goods, and sometimes they slip through the net.

The other way is willful failure to declare to avail of cheaper postage rates, this is criminal and would result in serious consequences for whoever did it. Obv as we can see here it caused the complete loss of a plane, and they were lucky it occurred on the ground and there was no loss of life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

From memory when I use tio work for my aul crowd all DG were separated into 2 categories, accessible and inaccessible DG.
    The accessible ones were flammables,Explosives, dangerous when wet etc and inaccessible be your dry ice infectious substances etc.
    The accessible ones were loaded right up to the G net and easy for the crew to access, Li Ion were never an issue while I worked there, But I'm sure after the UPS crash things would have changed.

Advertisement